+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tennis, anyone?  (Read 7795 times)

Buddy

Tennis, anyone?
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »
I was an avid tennis player before my hips started going bad about 7 years ago. I've just finished my 2nd hip resurfacing, and wondered if there were any bilateral (or single) resurfacings that have gotten back out on the court and began playing tennis again. I want to know how it felt moving laterally?

Thanks,

Buddy

bcolohan

Re: Tennis, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »
Buddy,

I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Bose in Chennai in March of 2007.  I was a serious athlete earlier in life, playing college basketball and a lot of tennis.  I had not played any tennis 3 years prior to the surgery because I just could not move well and the pain was too great.

I am happy to say I am beating guys I was not beating several years prior to the surgery and, in fact, am beating guys I had never beaten previously.  But I will say I was much more patient and careful during my recovery than some I have read here.  I did not even try to play tennis or anything else that would impact the joint for the first year.  I took it very slowly, pretty much only swimming.

At no point, though, did I have any pain that would have prevented me from attempting to play earlier.  I just felt this is something that I want to last me for the rest of my life so I wanted to ease into it and make sure all the muscles were healed and the cup was fused and secure.

Knock on wood, couldn't be happier.  No problem with lateral movement or any other type of movement.

Good luck,  Bill

stevel

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »
Bill,

I've heard of athletes returning to full activity at 3 mos to 12 mos post-op.  The protocols from the Drs. also vary.  I suppose the conservative course is the prudent course.  The inventor of the BHR device, Dr. Derek McMinn, recommends waiting 12 mos. before returning to impact activities.  I wonder if their is any hard data substantiating bone in growth.  I read where femoral neck fractures are rare after 6 mos and after about 3 mos. the socket has bone in growth.  The femoral cap is cemented so bone in growth is n/a.  What is your age?
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Buddy

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
Thanks, gents. that makes perfect sense. I'll take it slow. I'm 48, and want these two new hips to last a long time, too. So, no hurry. Do want to hit with my daughter this spring, though, during her senior year.

Best,

Buddy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat