+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tried out the pool today  (Read 2196 times)

B.I.L.L.

Tried out the pool today
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »
 Well I am at 3 1/2 weeks out now and can use the cane, but am no where near walking without support, the people who can walk around at 3-4 weeks are studs !!     "Walking"  for me right now is rocking back and forth and taking 2" steps.  My teenager says I walk like a penquin (he only tells me this when he is out of arms reach ;D)   
Kind of thought going in that at 3 1/2 weeks I'd be further along than I am.    Got a couple little issues.  I have lots of pain on the top of my thigh when I raise my leg and there is a brand new knock in my knee that feels like a tendon hanging up and then snapping back, it hurts but not bad. Thats the good knee so I'm hoping that subsides.  I've had a couple times when I have lost my balance and one time sitting up out of a chair that I put a lot of weight on it and I thought I must have moved the cup or cracked the neck because it hurt so bad, and always felt different after it happened,  like something had moved, but since I'm not in a ton of pain (2 norcos every 10-12 hours) I'm assuming its all good and its just muscles.  Bending my knees slightly results in an extra deep feeling clunk, and those muscles are just starting to work. Also have some rock hard knots in my upper butt cheek.  I tried out walking around in chest deep water today and did some "circles".   The pool may be my new best friend, it felt great to be in the water again, almost like "normal" ha ha.  So aside from a couple panic attacks and some un-cooperative muscles, I am inching forward.     Bill.

John C

Re: Tried out the pool today
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »
Hi B.I.L.L.,
It sounds like you are just about exactly where I was at 3 1/2 weeks, which was the toughest for me :'(; thought that I should have been farther along and off of the cane, struggled to do the 2" penquin walk >:(, had pain when lifting the leg :(, clunking noises ???, rock hard knots in the butt :P, and those scary moments when you put to much weight on it and wonder what you have done :o. My panic attacks got bad enough that I even got the doctor to order some x-rays at 3 1/2 weeks to be sure that everything was still in place. My PT had me back on crutches out to four weeks to try to help my pain and gait, and it was six weeks before I could give up the cane. Bottom line; I am now at 4 months, and things are absolutely great. I walk for miles, work out for a couple of hours almost every day in the gym, and things feel very good, except for some minor muscle soreness if I push it too hard with the weights. For me, around six weeks was the big turn around point that I really felt that things were on the right track.
I am telling you all of this, because it was what I needed to hear when I was at your point in time. Others have been through the same experiences and feelings as you, and come out with great success just a couple of weeks later. You are right at the point where I started going to the pool for 45 minutes a day, and I agree that it will be your new best friend.
Don't worry about the "3-4 week studs", heal at your own pace, and soon all the worry will be behind you. ;D

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »
Dude you just made my day, week, month,....... life, Ha Ha.
Glad you are doing so well John, and thanks for the encouraging words and support.  So nice to hear from someone who has "Been there, done that" and know it will work out.  Thanks again, B.I.L.L.

Big Bill

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »
Big Bill here... the pool excercises are great....hope your incision is totally healed and scab free  ::)(no infections). I did a water aerobics class for a year b 4 my resurfacing and could not wait to get back in the pool. Pat has some water exercises listed that are very helpful to start with on this Hippy site. Sounds like you have a few bumps in the road ...but remember that everyone heals at a different pace. Just as long as you are making positive progress , you are ok. Moderation is the key... do not over do it  ! Keep in touch with your doc and follow the protocol !   Congrats on your progress. I am now at 13 weeks and swim and do water classes 3 days a week , walk 2 miles in just over 30 minutes and have been back in the gym 3 days a week at about 70-80% capacity. You have nothing but good things in the future ! 

Best Regards, Big Bill   C.A.S.H.  7/9/08  8) 

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 02:32:04 AM »
Thanks Big Bill.  Been trying to pace myself and not get in a hurry. I checked out the pool exercises and will try some tomorrow. I can get along pretty good with the cane now and threw the walker up into the rafters today, wich was the highlight of my day ha ha. Thanks again, B.I.L.L. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »
B.I.L.L.

Glad to hear you are well enough to throw the walker into the rafters!

Next summer, you won't even be able to hardly remember all this stuff happening now. You will have a great hip and be very active.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat