+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: socket size  (Read 1997 times)

Sapita

socket size
« on: August 16, 2007, 05:40:13 PM »
Is it correct that the doctor needs to take more bone in the pelvis in a hip resurfacing than in THR?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: socket size
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:32:38 PM »
Hi

That is not correct.  The hip resurfacing acetabular cup does not require any more bone be removed than in a THR.  In fact, I think less is removed.

I have to find the email from Dr. Bose which discusses this.  As soon as I find it - I will post it for you. 

This is a common misconception that orthopedic surgeons like to tell people to steer them away from hip resurfacings to THRs.

I will post the email shortly.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

coskater

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
I am curious, I am a very small person my hips are about 36-37 and my waist is about 26. I look about normal from the front but I am really thin from the side, just not very thick. I got a size 52mm hip which seems large for me, I thought the average was 50?  I have/had dysplasia pretty badly would that slightly wider ball help with the dysplasia?

Just curious.

Leslie
R BHR Treacy
10/2/07

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »
Hi

Thanks for posting to others on the Hip Talk Group.  I know they appreciate it.

Usually as far as I have learned, they take your x-rays and do actual figuring and marking on it to determine what size hip to use. It is very scientific and they try to match your normal size ball of your femur.  They can't go much larger because they would not have much extra room to set the acetabular cup in your hip. I have seen marked up x-rays.

So I am guessing that he used somthing very close to your original size.

Vicky, my friend and contributor, was just at a Orth Conference with Treacy and McMinn. She sat at their table.  Too bad you hadn't asked the question before she went to the conference, she could have asked for you.

This is a really technical quesiton.  Maybe you should ask Mr. Treacy sometime when you write to him.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat