+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hipresurfacing vs hip replacement  (Read 2717 times)

counsel934

hipresurfacing vs hip replacement
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »

Hi
Im new to the site. Im a 52 year old male who four years ago was diagnosed with degenerative hip disease
i used to be very active in sports (ie jogging, basketball aerobic training tae kwon do)
in the last year everything has changed. pain has been worse.
I have had 6 shots of hylarun that has helped the pain. Recently I met with Dr Michael clarke in syracuse ny, who reviewed my x rays. after looking at the xrays and perfroming an exam he said i would be a candidate for hip resurfacing, he also told me that he has done surgery on hips better then mine

the pain at time wakes me up but for the most part i can live with it although it does affect my dail routine
Other doctors in dr clarkes office have recommended  total hip instead, which makes my decision more difficult
i have scheduled surgery for 12/08 but of course im chicken
my other dilemma is that if i wait 6months to a year will i still be a candidate for resurfacing

what is everybodys thoughts and would they recommend dr clarke

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: hipresurfacing vs hip replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

Dr. Clarke is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon and very experienced.

Here are some Dr. Clarke patient stories  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr.%20Clarke

You are still very young and if you are in pain and your life if becoming difficult - get your hip fixed.  Don't sit on the sidelines at your age.

Only a doctor can tell you if it is time to get that new hip.  Obviously, Dr. Clarke thinks it is time.  I have never heard of an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon that would do a hip that did not need to be replaced.  You are also correct that you can wait too long and lose that window of opportunity for a hip resurfaicng.

Everyone is nervous before surgery.  The folks here will talk with you and I know they will make you feel better.  Many have recently been thru surgery and remember it very vividily.  They will share their experiences with you.

I am over 2 1/2 years post op and the surgery part tends to fade!  I can assure you that eventually everyone ends up in the same place - out of pain and active once again after surgery.

Most people ask themselves why they waited so long.

Good Luck.

Pat

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:22:08 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:36:11 AM »
You should get your hip resurfaced in December.  Don't wait until the bone wears away, precluding a hip resurfacing.  I recently had my left hip resurfaced with a BHR by Dr. Su in Manhattan, NY on 9/29/08.  My pre-op pain was mild to moderate but I lost a lot of function over the last 4 months.  My hip was toast after mowing the lawn this summer.  My left leg atrophied (about 2/3 size of right leg) due to limping and favoring the right side.  I rode the exercise bicycle for 22 minutes today at three weeks post-op.  The hip joint pain is gone and my mental outlook is upbeat since I no longer have that residual arthritic pain.  Dr. Clarke is an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon according to what I have read on this website and you should feel confident in his abilities.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

counsel934

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »
thank you for all of your input. My left leg has atrophied,however i still can ride the bike and step master
however the writing is on the wall , so i guess i will go through it. Further my job requires me to stand

barryNE

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this site as well.  I just got a call from Dr Gross who informed me that I am a candidate for hip resurfacing.  Unfortunately I have Coventry and live in NE so they will not cover going to Dr Gross. 

Now the good news, the company I work for is switching insurance carriers on Jan 1st to UHC and Dr Gross is an "In Network" provider.  They are going to schedule me for the surgery in January and I can't wait.  99% of all the information I have gathered has been from reading all the posts and info on this website.  Thank you so much for all you have out here it is wonderful.

Thanks again,
Barry

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
Hi Barry,

Glad to hear that you're heading to the "other side"--- Dr Gross performed mine on August 6th and it's amazing how different things are for me.  We're headed for the Outer Banks for some surf fishing turkey week.  I cannot wait, the last time I was down there I could only stand there with the rod in my hand for 3-4 minutes at a time.

Good luck, you'll find lot's of very nice Dr Gross hippies around here, if you have a question let us know.

Chuck

Hello, I'm new to this site as well.  I just got a call from Dr Gross who informed me that I am a candidate for hip resurfacing.  Unfortunately I have Coventry and live in NE so they will not cover going to Dr Gross. 

Now the good news, the company I work for is switching insurance carriers on Jan 1st to UHC and Dr Gross is an "In Network" provider.  They are going to schedule me for the surgery in January and I can't wait.  99% of all the information I have gathered has been from reading all the posts and info on this website.  Thank you so much for all you have out here it is wonderful.

Thanks again,
Barry
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat