+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1 Step forward, 10 Steps back  (Read 3840 times)

B.I.L.L.

1 Step forward, 10 Steps back
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
Well just when I thought I was doing pretty good I must have pulled or strained something yesterday and went from cruising well with the cane to back to the walker today :(   The pain is mostly on the outside and  upper thigh,is rock hard and sensitive to the touch, and bending or trying to lift my leg or put any weight on it hurts.......alot. So back into the bed with ice packs today.  Guess I have not learned to pace myself yet.  Of course my first thought was oh no I cracked the head or something came loose, but I can lie in the bed comfortably and can sit in a chair, so I'm assuming it's just a muscle deal (I hope)  I'm at almost 5 weeks and was startingto spend a lot of time on my feet and I guess it bit me.   I'll let you know in a day or two how its going, but my advice is to pace yourself, especially when you think your starting to do well.   See ya.  Bill

bothdone

Re: 1 Step forward, 10 Steps back
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »
Hi Bill

I've had both done (June 04 and March 08) and have had similar experiences when I've pushed myself a little too much.   Easing off for a few days has always cleared muscle tightness/soreness so far.

Hope things continue to go well for you.

Best wishes

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
Hi Bill

I've had both done (June 04 and March 08) and have had similar experiences when I've pushed myself a little too much.   Easing off for a few days has always cleared muscle tightness/soreness so far.

Hope things continue to go well for you.

Best wishes

Ed

Thanks Ed.   I can sit in a chair and lie in bed ok, but being upright is not too fun today.  Thanks for the reply, I feel better already ha ha.
Really glad I found this website, caring people that have "been there done that"  and tell you thats normal make it much easier to deal with.  Call it confidence or whatever, I'm not a physcologist so I don't know but,   Thanks !!     Best of luck to you as well,  Bill

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
Bill,

Sorry to hear of your recent setback.  Is the pain associated with planting your foot down?  In other words, can you place weight on your foot without pain, but when you move it hurts?  It sounds like muscles but if you have pain just from planting your foot down I would call your doctor just to make sure.

I've done the same thing, something as simple as my leg raises sometimes makes my muscles back there hurt a lot.

If the pain becomes really sharp and shooting, I would push for some x-rays just to make sure you are ok.

In the mean time I'll be sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Have a painless and great weekend.

Chuck

Well just when I thought I was doing pretty good I must have pulled or strained something yesterday and went from cruising well with the cane to back to the walker today :(   The pain is mostly on the outside and  upper thigh,is rock hard and sensitive to the touch, and bending or trying to lift my leg or put any weight on it hurts.......alot. So back into the bed with ice packs today.  Guess I have not learned to pace myself yet.  Of course my first thought was oh no I cracked the head or something came loose, but I can lie in the bed comfortably and can sit in a chair, so I'm assuming it's just a muscle deal (I hope)  I'm at almost 5 weeks and was startingto spend a lot of time on my feet and I guess it bit me.   I'll let you know in a day or two how its going, but my advice is to pace yourself, especially when you think your starting to do well.   See ya.  Bill
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:18:46 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
Chuck, I can stand straight up and put about 50% weight on it, but when I bend it at all it hurts big time, and lifting my leg  makes it worse, also some knocking came back and the pain kinda shoots down the back of my knee as well, but the worst is up high on the side. The swelling in my thigh has increased quite a bit as well.  I plan to try to stay in bed as much as I can over the weekend and will go to the doc monday if I dont have noticable improvement.  I swear man I was just starting to feel pretty mobile too, I'll keep a positive outlook and lay low for couple days, since I really have no other choice, right ??   Thanks for the replys, Bill

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »
Bill,

Keep those positive thoughts up and enjoy your time resting

Hope it all goes well for ya big guy.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »
Well its 5 weeks today and it has gotten a little better after 3 days in  bed.  I can use the cane this morning but feel the muscles start to tighten up and burn after a few minutes. So its better but no where near where I was a week ago. Funny thing is, its not like I moved a certain way and then felt pain, I was having a pretty good day and then by the afternoon it was killing me. It must be a fine line between no problem and oops I did to much. I didn't get any warning really, it was great all day , and then it wasn't.  Anyway I plan to take it easy for another week and not push myself or try to walk anymore than around the house, I feel like I can't really "trust" it yet, like yeah it feels great now but if I walk a 1/4 mile who knows whats gonna happen ?  The muscles on top of my thigh are like mushy jello with a burning pain down deep, but numb to the touch on the surface. I can poke my thigh with a letter opener and not feel it, but if I push on it with my fingers, it hurts down deep.  On the side and butt are rock hard knots.  My 6 week follow up is in a week, I hope that is my "round the corner"  time.  I am looking forward to it so I can get a look at my x-rays, wondering what the alignment looks like and not knowing exactly what is in there makes a long day longer...(ha ha Right ??) I'm pretty sure the skeleton/framework is good, because last week when it was good it wasn't too bad 8), but it will be nice to know it "for sure", instead of being "pretty sure".  I know the muscles will come back sooner or later, just not as quickly as I thought.  Hope I don't sound too mopie, I'm an optimist I swear.   "I'm not gonna lower the bar but I think I need to put it farther away" ;D ;D  Ha Ha no biggie, I'm only 49, I got lots of time.    Thanks again for the replys and encouragement. B.I.L.L.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:47:24 PM by B.I.L.L. »

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »
Bill,

I hope your trend is towards the better and you get back on track.  At least with your 6 week post op coming so soon hopefully your mind will be at ease when you see your x-rays are normal.

I sent you an email when we did not hear from you.

Good luck, and I wish you a pain free week.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »
Bill,

I hope your trend is towards the better and you get back on track.  At least with your 6 week post op coming so soon hopefully your mind will be at ease when you see your x-rays are normal.

I sent you an email when we did not hear from you.

Good luck, and I wish you a pain free week.

Chuck

Thanks! I haven't even looked. I'll check it right now, I don't care what they say you guys are alright 8)

wayne-0

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »
Hey Bill,
Sorry can't help with the recovery issuses yet but keep up the battle. Like Pat always says everyone recovers differently and I hope that yours starts getting better and better. Eleven more days for me but I'm not counting.
                                           Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 12:50:52 AM »
Hey Bill,
Sorry can't help with the recovery issuses yet but keep up the battle. Like Pat always says everyone recovers differently and I hope that yours starts getting better and better. Eleven more days for me but I'm not counting.
                                           Wayne-0

Shuuurrrr your not counting.....How many hours from now ?? :D

I know your doing both hips, start working on pull ups and push ups. Go in with your arms strong like Bull, you'll be using them.  By Thanksgiving you'll cruisin around and able to sit at the table and over eat with the best of 'em, but still won't be able to help with the dishes, Perfect timing !  Good luck to you, 8) 

wayne-0

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

216  hours I think?
                                   Should I be scarred yet?

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »

216  hours I think?
                                   Should I be scarred yet?

Wayne-0

Wayne you shouldn't be "scarred" until after the incision but you can be "scared" now....

Ha Ha J/K ;D ;D    Sorry to go all spellcheck on ya, but if I don't give you a hard time who will ?     I was pretty nervous as the date got closer but once its done the time goes quickly and everyday you'll be closer to getting your life back.  Heres something to keep you motivated, soon my friend soon.......

Good Luck on the 7th. We'll be waiting to hear how it went, Bill 8)               

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Well I got a look at my x-rays and everything looks good !!  6 weeks must have been the magic number for me, my muscles are coming back enough that I can do my exercises full strength with no pain, and seem to be progressing very quickly compared to the last few weeks.
Thanks again for all the kind and caring responses.  8)

bothdone

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
Hi Bill

Good to hear things are improving for you.

Best wishes

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 03:03:47 AM »
Hi Bill

Good to hear things are improving for you.

Best wishes

Ed

Thanks ! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat