+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Gross  (Read 3889 times)

KarenZ

Dr Gross
« on: November 08, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »
Hi,
I think I am going to switch surgeons and have Dr Gross do my surgery.  I am looking for feedback from anyone who had their surgery with Dr Gross.  What can you tell me about your prep, surgery, recovery, flight home, results so far?  Did you go cemented or uncemented?
I have tentatively scheduled for Dec 3.  I am considering this switch because I am thinking Dr Gross' 1500 surgeries will serve me better than my original docs 200 or so.
I sure appreciate your feedback!
Karen Z

Karen
R / Biomet UC / Dr Gross / 12-3-08

LM

Re: Dr Gross
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »
Karen-

I had surgery (uncemented) with Dr. Gross on Aug. 4th.  I am extremely happy with my results to date.  Please understand that everyone recovers differently and I know mine may not be average...  with that said my recovery has been great.  I had surgery on a Monday, out of the hospital by Wednesday midday, flew home to Arizona on Thursday.  I crutched my way through 2 airports with no problem (I did have a friend who carried all my bags though - highly suggested).  I had relatively low swelling and low to no pain after surgery and only took a couple of Tylenol the first couple of days.  I was in good shape going into surgery (I worked out 4-5 days per week prior to surgery: elliptical, swimming, stationary bike and weights).  I used crutches for a week, a cane for a week and was walking unassisted by week 3.  I was back in the gym by week 2 (walking and upper body work).

I am now 3 months out, and just came back from a cruise.  Determined not to gain weight, I walked 2-4 miles per day on the outside deck and was able to walk up the stairs (8 decks) with no problem. 

I will take some credit for the good recovery, but personally I give Dr. Gross most of the credit. He is a talented surgeon. I do have a ways to go - since uncemented is so new only time will tell how successful it is but so far it has been a good recovery and I'm just sorry I waited so long. 

Best of luck to you. 

Laurie

JeanM

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »
Hi Karen,
I had surgey with Dr. Gross on August 27th.  I chose uncemented.  I would highly recommend choosing Dr. Gross over any surgeon who has done 200 resurfacings.  My surgery went very well and my recovery has been much better than I ever expected.  I had a practically pain free recovery, needing nothing stronger than Tylenol.  I traveled to Dr. Gross from Utah.  There's a Courtyard by Marriott right next to the hospital, which is super convenient.  Dr. Gross' staff and the hospital staff are great.  I believe that one of the many advantages of Dr. Gross' experience is that he has utilized this experience to establish very specific protocols for the care of his patients in order to miniminize pain, minimize the chance that you'll need a blood transfusion, speed healing, etc..  But, another thing to consider about Dr. Gross is that he may be more conservative regarding recovery than some others.  For instance, another surgeon (less experienced) that I consulted with told me that I could start road cycling at 10 weeks post-op.  Dr. Gross says no road cycling or snowboarding for 6 months because the femur has experienced a lot of trauma and it's weak.  If you were to crash on your bike or board, your femur is going to be at a much higher risk of fracture for a period of time until it fully heals, which takes 6 months to a year to be FULLY healed.  So, if your the type that wants to go out at 8 weeks post-op and start training for a marathon or something.  You and Dr. Gross may not mesh.

Regarding recovery, I used two crutches for 4 days after surgery, then I went to one crutch on day 5.  I went from the crutch to a cane starting at about day 7 or 8.  I had a tough time weaning myself off the cane.  I had to force myself off the case at 4 weeks.  But, once I did that I gained additional strength very quickly.  It's easy to get cozy on the cane!

I'm very pleased with my results so far.  Although I will reserve final judgment for 6 months to a year, I'm hopeful that I'm going to be able to get back to my prior performance levels in the things that I love to do.  I've already seen major improvement in just normal living activities.  I can actually go shopping now.  I can go to the grocery store without dread and I don't need constant workarounds for normal, everyday activities. 

Good Luck with your decision!  Keep the questions coming.  You'll find a lot of support on this forum.

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
Karen,

I'm an uncemented Dr. G hippy, August 6th 2008.  I am 3 months + post-op.

Dr. Gross has an excellent pain protocol, if you go with the spinal his anesthetist makes sure to put enough Dr. G cocktail in you that you won't feel the pain from the surgery the next day, then by the time the bone pain would normally wain his cocktail wears off.  I had incision discomfort, but I was able to drive about 3 1/2 hours of the trip from Columbia to Pittsburgh without any trouble.  I golfed at 7 weeks post op and I beat all my golf buddies at our long drive competition.  This coming turkey week I am looking forward to going surf fishing for striper on the outer banks of NC, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!  I just got back from Cedar Point's indoor water park in Ohio where I was able to do stuff I could have only dreamed about last Winter.

I am not going to say that you will not have any pain, but I will say my pain never got worse than my worse days pre-op, and things only get better.

Dr Gross's whole crew is amazing, I cannot say anything negative about any of them, the hospital staff is great and they know Dr Gross's protocol well.  The service at the hospital is great, you will never be laying in bed long in need of anything, they are very attentive to your knees.

You can email me if you want to talk with a gal who got done just a few weeks ago, her name is Lisa.  Lisa also had Dr Gross do her surgery.  BTW-- I too went for experience, but I've never doubted the decision I made.

Whatever direction you go, I wish you lots of luck.  You'll find this forum to be full of fantastic, caring people. 

Chuck

Hi,
I think I am going to switch surgeons and have Dr Gross do my surgery.  I am looking for feedback from anyone who had their surgery with Dr Gross.  What can you tell me about your prep, surgery, recovery, flight home, results so far?  Did you go cemented or uncemented?
I have tentatively scheduled for Dec 3.  I am considering this switch because I am thinking Dr Gross' 1500 surgeries will serve me better than my original docs 200 or so.
I sure appreciate your feedback!
Karen Z

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

KarenZ

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  I have several things in common with you all.  I live in Az, north Scottsdale, so it was great to hear from someone Az; where in Az do you live?.  Our plane rides will be similar.  I am also a road cyclist.  Hearing about the 6 month ban from that does not excite me, but I understand the rationale.  I wonder if I will be able to be compliant with that? :)
I too am planning to head in to my surgery as fit as I can manage.  I am riding in the Tour De Tucson in a few weeks, it is a 109 mile bike race that I hope to complete in 5 hours.  It will be my last hoorah and my effort at completely wearing out this hip before I get a new one:)  I am able to ride my bike on the hoods, can't get in to the drops and have not been on my TT bike for months now.  I can not walk farther than a few blocks without a lot of discomfort.  I work out in the gym on the elliptical and with weights. I too am worried about putting on weight through out this process, it's already a challenge at holiday time! It would be good to head in to surgery lean and strong, I'll do my best with that.
Did any of you have BCBS out of state insurance?  I see on Dr Gross' website that it is likely that BCBS of AZ will offer a reciprocal agreement and cover my procedure in network.  Do you have any experience with that?  I am wondering what my out of pocket will end up being, I have met my in network deductible already for the year and have about $2000 left in out of pocket maximum for in network.
I am hoping to hear today from Dr Gross' office and they may be able to answer some of these insurance questions for me, but would love to hear from you as well.
Thanks again, I appreciate your support and feedback.  Especially the vote of confidence in Dr Gross.  That helps a lot. The ability to navigate the airport (with my husbands help) was a concern, also was worried about the pain post op - so your positive experiences around that are inspiring.  I am not a fan of narcotics, so I am optimistic I will not need them much if at all - Thanks for sharing your experience with that.
Keep it coming! :)
Karen
Karen

John C

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
Hi Karen,
I had my hip done by Dr. Gross in June, and would highly recommend he and his team. Here are a couple of responses to your questions.
I flew all the way from Idaho, which involved going through four airports. I would suggest that you consider asking the airlines to have wheel chair assistance waiting for you. You can always decline it if you are feeling strong, but it is sure nice if you have a long trek through an airport.
I did have out of state BS, and it has gone well, after a few initial glitches. Some of the bills were not submitted correctly, and were originally turned down as being out of network. If I remember correctly, they incorrectly submitted the bills directly to my state, which did not show them as being in network, and made only a partial payment. When I had them resubmit through the local BS, it showed as in-network, and was covered by my home-state policy. There were some other issues about mis-coding, etc., but at this point, it looks as though it has all worked out. Be sure to check with Dr. Gross's office about a couple of items on his bill that are not normally covered. They have you sign off about being aware of this before surgery, but you might want to be clear about it sooner.
If I had to choose again, there is no question that I would return to Dr. Gross and his team.

John

John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:59 PM »
Karen,

As an after thought, check online, you are probably able to check to see if Dr Gross is one of the doctors that is in network, you can also find out if the hospital is in network.  The important thing is "In Network" because your deductable will be higher if it's out of network.  You can also call Dr. Gross's office, they have a really smart gal who did all of my pre-certs for BC/BS--- I am in PA and Gross and Providence NE was in network.  If you have a PPO you should be fine.

Hope all is going well.  Be sure to checkout Dr Gross's new video, it was very informative, I almost want to go back and have my left hip done now ----- NAHHHH!   ;)

Good luck to you.

Chuck

Did any of you have BCBS out of state insurance?  I see on Dr Gross' website that it is likely that BCBS of AZ will offer a reciprocal agreement and cover my procedure in network.  Do you have any experience with that?  Karen
Chuck
8-6-08

KarenZ

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 12:25:58 AM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.
Yes, you are both right, Nancy told me that my BCBS Az will cover both Dr Gross and the hospital in network.  That was great news!
I had a cup of coffee tonight with another Dr Gross hippy and that meeting was incredible!  I got to see her 4 inch scar and everything!  ;D It's actually not too bad, much better than I had imagined. AND she loaned me her crutches and other gadgets!  I am so grateful for this site, the amount of support that has been extended to me is unbelievable.
I am scheduled for Dec 3 surgery. I am anxious, in a good excited kind of way and also in that "Oh Geez!" kind of way. After hearing from 5 of you who speak so highly of Dr Gross I am feeling very confident about my decision to switch surgeons and make the trek to South Carolina. And, after watching the interview video Pat posted, I am more optimistic about the uncemented procedure.  I sure hope he is right about this, it does make some good sense, but again - I just sure hope he is right about this...
Thanks again for your support.  Keep it coming!  :)
I look forward to being able to give someone else some peace of mind after my surgery. 
Karen

Karen

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Karen,

When you meet with Lee, Nancy and Dr Gross the day before your surgery you will be very confident in your decision.  I've never met a doctor who is so confident the outcome of his patients.  His confidence will make you feel VERY at ease.

Dr Gross is probably one of the best hip doctors in the world.

If you have not already done so, check out Pat's video with him.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 03:27:57 PM »
Karen,

Check out Dr. Bose's and Dr. DeSmet's reponses to Dr. Gross's publication regarding uncemented hip resurfacing at http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqcementcomponents.php  Also see Dr. McMinn's reponse to uncemented components in his interview on this website.  His new book "Modern Hip Resurfacing" is due to be published 1/2/09 and explains his responses in more detail.

I wonder who will have the last laugh?  Us BHR patients when the uncemented caps debonds in a few years or the Biomet uncemented patients when the cemented caps loosen after 20 year plus?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:34:50 AM by Pat Walter »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
Steve,

Good points.

Hopefully both cemented and uncemented will last long enough so that all surface hippies are buried with their implants. 

I agree with Dr DeSmet's response that it will probably be 3 years before enough data is collected.  It's certainly a very positive sign that Dr Gross has not had a single failure of the femoral cups from day 1 of the 400 he has performed.

Personally I chose uncemented because when one thinks about THR's the femoral sides are mostly now uncemented, the acetabular cups are uncemented with great luck.  When a surgeon has to remove a THR from the femoral side the surgeon has a very tough time removing the component because of the bone growth onto the THR femoral shaft.   From the x-rays Dr Gross submitted it seems that the bone has grown well inside the implant.

Every doctor has their own opinions on almost every aspect of hip resurfacing, that is what leads to new discoveries in hip surgeries. 

Like I said, hopefully everyone's implants will stay attached forever and hopefully nobody gets "the last laugh".

Chuck

Karen,

Check out Dr. Bose's and Dr. DeSmet's reponses to Dr. Gross's publication regarding uncemented hip resurfacing at www.surfacehippyinfo.com.  Also see Dr. McMinn's reponse to uncemented components in his interview on this website.  His new book "Modern Hip Resurfacing" is due to be published 1/2/09 and explains his responses in more detail.

I wonder who will have the last laugh?  Us BHR patients when the uncemented caps debonds in a few years or the Biomet uncemented patients when the cemented caps loosen after 20 year plus?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:40:39 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »
Chuck,

Spot on. We all want everyone to have positive outcomes regardless of cemented or uncemented.

spencer
rbhr 6/26/08

obxpelican

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »
Spencer,

That is exactly my thoughts Spencer.  I get the feeling some (very few) people (not you steve) on both sides want the other side to fail sometimes.  When you were going through your problems I was rooting, praying and sending positive thoughts at you.  I would hate to validate my reasons for going uncemented by hearing that hundreds of people have to go through revision surgery.

I look at cemented and uncemented as a way to accomplish the same thing and heck I know I am part of a study that may not end up working out, but I took the chance thinking it all sounded like a good idea.  Of course if it fails, I will be the one who suffers.

Hope you're still doing well.

Chuck

Chuck,

Spot on. We all want everyone to have positive outcomes regardless of cemented or uncemented.

spencer
rbhr 6/26/08
Chuck
8-6-08

sroberts

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
Thanks Chuck,

I'm feeling great. I biked up Mt Lemmon on Friday- 6% grade for 25 miles. Lifted yesterday-
leg pressed 400lbs and rode some serious hill repeats today. Next step is rope jumping at the end of the month then running at the end of December.

Are you looking forward to your fishin' trip to the outer banks?! You'll have a blast!

take care,

spencer
rbhr 6/26/08

stevel

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »
Chuck,

I agree.  May everybodys device last a lifetime, whether it be BHR cemented, Cormet cemented, Biomet uncemented, Conserve Plus cemented, etc.!  May it last a lifetime for somebody active at 25 or 65!  Certainly nobody wants a revision surgery.  The installation of each device had to start with patient no. 1.  The Biomet uncemented has a great beginning history with some 400 installations and few problems.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
Yes, for sure I cannot wait.  I have a tough week ahead of me, but I'll be thinking of fishing, eating out and enjoying time with the fam all week.

You are an animal Spencer, we Gross hippies are not allowed to bike on a mountain bike till 6 months, although at times I've thought of breaking that rule.  When the kids went out biking the trail, I walked it.  I did play some water basketball last weekend at Cedar Point's indoor water park, that was fun.  Oh well, there is always next Fall.  You sound like you are doing really well. 

Keep up the great rehabbing.

Hey--- I just noticed, I hit the 100 mark now.  I think Pat sends out a new toaster out when you hit that mark.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

I'm feeling great. I biked up Mt Lemmon on Friday- 6% grade for 25 miles. Lifted yesterday-
leg pressed 400lbs and rode some serious hill repeats today. Next step is rope jumping at the end of the month then running at the end of December.

Are you looking forward to your fishin' trip to the outer banks?! You'll have a blast!

take care,

spencer
rbhr 6/26/08
Chuck
8-6-08

sroberts

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 09:17:58 PM »
Thanks Chuck,

You might deserve the toaster but I'd hold out for the ginzu knives or the splatterscreen.

Oh by the way, I'm not on a mountain bike...it's a road bike up paved mountain roads...a much smoother ride.

spencer

obxpelican

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »
Ok.... now I have something over you, WUSS!  LOL (jk)   ;)  Don't ya know only manly men ride mountain bikes?  LOL.  Actually I could never own a road bike, I still like to jump off of curbs like in my childhood.

Yes, maybe I will hold out for the ginzu knives, how about a George Forman grill? Now that would be the ultimate prize.  Somehow I think I will end up with a chia pet.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

You might deserve the toaster but I'd hold out for the ginzu knives or the splatterscreen.

Oh by the way, I'm not on a mountain bike...it's a road bike up paved mountain roads...a much smoother ride.

spencer
Chuck
8-6-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 10:52:14 PM »
I have total respect for Dr. Gross, Dr. Bose, Dr. DeSmet, Dr. Mont and the other 1000+, 2000+, 5000+ BHR surgeons out there that receive so much of the focus on this site.  Their experience is commendable and certainly an important consideration for prospective patients, especially those with complicated conditions.  I'm sure they are all excellent surgeons and, perhaps more importantly, attract excellent, aspiring subordinates.

Unfortunately, sometimes there is a tendency here to suggest that if the OS of choice has not performed thousands of BHR's they are "second class" orthopaedists.  I am not suggesting that experience and track record are not important, but I think it's important to recognize that there are many excellent and extremely competent orthopaedic surgeons out there that have not performed thousands of procedures who are quite capable of performing highly successful BHR's, as well as THR's, and delivering a very high quality patient experience.

At almost one year post-op on my first BHR and almost 8 months post-op on my second, I have absolutely no second thoughts about the choice of orthopaedic surgeons I made.  In fact, I would enthusiastically refer my closest family and friends to my doctor (who has done approximately 150-200 BHR's) with absolutely no reservation whatsoever.

Jim
Engh, LBHR/12-18-07, RBHR/4-4-08

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
Jim,

I am glad to hear everything went well for you.

I've read that some surgeons can right out of the box perform very successful HRS, then on the other hand sometimes it takes some surgeons a while to beat the learning curve.

When I set out to find a surgeon I used 100 as my benchmark, then the more I read I set the number higher.

Hip resurfacing is not THR surgery, it takes a lot of skill to set the angles properly and if the angles are not right or the neck of your femur gets notched your surgery will not be successful.

I would highly recommend that anyone thinking about an HRS that you get someone who is experienced, one who will answer all of your questions and a surgeon who operates in a hospital with low infection rates.

I would definitely agree that some surgeons without a lot of experience can perform great HRS, I would however caution everyone that you are rolling the dice going with surgeons with less experience. 

Think of it this way, hypothetically, if you have a surgeon with only a little experience (100 surgeries) and he has a 6% failure rate, while you are happy there are 6 patients with failed surgeries.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat