+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post op sleeping positions  (Read 4494 times)

Jonner

Post op sleeping positions
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
Hi,
Firstly, not having posted before I'd like to say how useful I have found your site. Thanks.
I am 4 weeks post op on a right re-surfacing (of a bi-lateral) done in the U.K and that it is all going well. Down to one stick, all swelling gone and comfortable. My one question is that I was told to sleep on my back for the first 12 weeks! This I am finding very difficult as I usually sleep on my front and I get quite numb, only sleep for short periods and end up feeling very tired during the day. Does everyone else receive this instruction? or is it because my particular hospital does not do very many re-surfacings, most hip operations being total hip replacements. Is this instruction more relevant to them or are all surface hippies sleeping on their backs?

Many thanks
Jonner

bothdone

Re: Post op sleeping positions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »
Hi

I've had both hips done.  On both occasions I was told to sleep on my back for the first six weeks - I usually sleep on my side.    After the first BHR I wasn't looking forward to going through it again.   However, the 2nd time seemed easier.

Both times I wedged pillows either side of me to prevent me turning over.   If you haven't done that it is possible that your mind is thinking about the possibility of you rolling over and that's what is keeping you awake.

My understanding is that lying on your back reduces the possibility of dislocating the hip when you turn over.   That was something I definitely didn't want to do and was prepared to put up with the inconvenience of the six weeks on my back.

After the six weeks was up I got myself onto my side with a pillow between my legs to support the operated hip (it was on top) and another behind my back to stop me rolling over.   I kept that up for a few weeks.

Having said all that, I don't have any idea what the effects of sleeping on your front might be !  ???

Best wishes

Ed     
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »
I was told to sleep on my back or my unoperated side, which is my left side, with pillows between my legs. I am now 5 1/2 weeks post op after having my right hip resurfaced, my Left is scheduled for Dec 8th, 8 weeks post right side. I'm assuming that I'll have the same instructions so at that time will have to lie on my back or my right side.

I can sympathize with your sleeping problems. I am also having problems sleeping and have not had a full, unbroken nights sleep since my surgery due to the need to stretch and move every hour or so. This has been my biggest problem. I have an appointment with my Dr next week and am actually going to ask for sleeping pills to see if that will help because like you i feel very tired some days. Everything else is going well though and I am very happy with my recovery so far.

I think some Doctors are much more conservative than others and as far as I understand the reason for keeping pillows between your legs when on your side is to keep the hip joint in proper alignment and reduce the risk of dislocation. I'm not sure what the risk would be lying on your front.

When are you getting the Left hip done? I hope things start getting easier for you soon.
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

John C

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »
Hi Jonner,
You might want to talk this over with your Doctor to confirm that these instructions apply to a resurfacing. In my case, the doctor said that I could sleep anyway that was tolerable, but I did use a pillow between the knees whenever I rolled to my side for the first six weeks to be safe and comfortable. As I understand it, there is less concern about dislocation (which is why I assume they are concerned about rolling on your side) with a resurfacing, but this varies by the surgical approach used and other variables, so I would talk with your surgeon. I am not aware of such lengthy restrictions as being common in resurfacings.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

wayne-0

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »
Hey Jonner,
I just had bi-lat resurfacing on nov 7th and doctor told me I can roll to my side as soon as it is comfortable to do so(lack of swelling makes it comfortable) as long as I keep a pillow in between my legs. After a week I could roll to my right side and that was a wonderful feeling to get off my back all night. Two nights ago I could roll to my left side and that was wonderful as well.I'm not a doctor but I would think that as long as you keep that pillow in between your legs you should be okey.I would call the doc and ask again. Good luck.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Jonner

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »
Hi Ed, Barbara, John C and Wayne-O,
Thanks very much indeed for taking the trouble to reply and for the very sensible and considered advice. It's nice to know you're not the only one with a problem albeit relatively minor! I will definitely get my surgeons advice, though in the U.K we don't seem to have quite the access to them that you do in the States. Having seen my surgeon two days after the op (24 Oct) I am not scheduled to see him again until February! Anyway, I am really hoping to get the same advice as you all have had ie given the go-ahead for sleeping on my side. Good luck to all of you with your recovery and you Barbara with your left hip on the 7th Dec -I probably won't get my left hip done until Feb or March due to the vagaries of the English National Health Service, BUT it is FREE!!!!
Best wishes
Jonner

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »
Hi Jonner,
I come from Scotland but live in Seattle so am more familiar with the health service in the uk, even though I work in health care. I think we have the best deal in the UK because as you say it is free. You have peace of mind knowing that whatever healthcare you need is available to all. Health care here in the US is very complicated because you have insurance companies making decisions on what they will and wont cover.
I got a letter from my Insurance company today saying that they have established that my surgery was medically necessary but being medically necessary does not guarantee payment. This is the second such letter I have received. I will never understand how something can be deemed medically necessary but possibly not covered.
It is not a good feeling knowing that an Insurance company could deny payment for health care. I'd rather have peace of mind knowing that all my health care is covered even if it means being on a waiting list for a few months and having a little less access to my surgeon.
They have covered my bill for anesthesia, by the way, which makes it even more bizarre that they would send me this letter. You realize the true value of the NHS when you don't have it anymore.
Take care
Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Jonner

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:39 PM »
Hi Barbara,
I'm sorry to hear you have got this to worry about apart from all the physical problems of the surgery itself. You're right about appreciating the NHS, despite my tiny gripe about not seeing my surgeon, I have actually had superb service from them and all with the peace of mind of knowing it isn't going to cost my life's savings! I suppose you are too far down the line now to have it done in Scotland. I hope you get the guarantee of payment letter soon so you can concentrate on the surgery and recovery.
Best wishes
Jonner

decooney

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:52:21 AM »
I'm now 4-weeks post op upper THR  and lower resurfacing cap with socket bone graftreconstruction to boot and have not been able to sleep on my back all of the time as well.  I don't know what I would do if I could only sleep on my back.  My 2nd day post-op in the hospital they had me sleeping on my unoperated side, to help prevent bed sores, with a foam wedge between my legs and pillows behind my back.  I have been sleeping since 2 weeks post op with a large bed pillow between my legs and it helps to sort of stretch out a bit so I can actually relax enough to be able to sleep more than a 3 hour strech here and there without getting up.  My doctor has repeatedly told me to use pain as a measure and I got off pain meds at 2 weeks post op, and can easily tell when I start to do something wrong, and kind of prefer it this way to know what's going on inside...  Doing so much better at 4 weeks vs. 2 weeks post-op.  Whew.   

Jonner

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
I was told by the Physiotherapy department today that I definitely must sleep on my back for 12 weeks in order to give the muscles a chance to heal properly. As I am pretty much pain free now (4 weeks post op), I am not going to take the risk and disregard their advice. So looks like I will be spending a lot more sleepless time in the wee small hours trawling through all the posts in the surface hippy website!
Best wishes to everyone going through recovery.
Jonner

Bionic

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »
I wonder whether getting one of those Tempur-Pedic pads (or matress) might not be a bad idea for those forced to sleep on their backs.  I tried one this summer and was really impressed at how weightless I felt.

bothdone

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 05:15:46 AM »
Hi again

Having gone through sleeping on my back with both hips I've had an unexpected bonus - I now find it quite relaxing lying on my back with my arms at my side.   It reminds me of the start position for various yoga exercises.

Before the hip ops I couldn't actually lay on my back without raising the bad knee to take pressure off the hip (couldn't lay on my front either).    Its great to have the pain-free option of either position.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Jonner

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »
I wonder whether getting one of those Tempur-Pedic pads (or matress) might not be a bad idea for those forced to sleep on their backs.  I tried one this summer and was really impressed at how weightless I felt.

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll see if I can get one as I have still got another 5 months on my back (3 months each hip) I'll try anything!
Best wishes
Jonner

San Francisco Hippy

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
Just for consideration for those suffering with the sleeping problems and considering asking the Dr. for sleeping pills.  There is an alternative homeopathic choice which works wonders for me and can be found at any health food store it's called Melatonin.  I used to use Valerian root before it was taken off the shelves for whatever reason but Melatonin works just as well along with Chamomile in pill or tea form if you want help without the prescription.  For me I feel no side effects from it whatsoever which is very nice as well.  Casey RHR Conserve+ Amstutz, 11/20/08
I might not be much but I'm all I ever think about...

JohnS

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
I always had problems sleeping on my back because of hip pain.  Now I'm quite comfortable (but still on pain meds  :) .  But, I did notice that on a previous hospital stay, I slept on my back with the head of the hospital bed raised up a little or maybe even moderately.  Also after the BHR I slept with the hospital bed raised.  I am very lucky in that the bed I have at home has the ability to raise the head of the bed, almost to a sitting position.  I find that the only reason I wake up now is either the alarm goes off, or I have to pee.  I don't know if geting the head of the bed raised up is a possiblity for you (how did you sleep in the hospital - was the bed flat or raised?) but it has been a blessing for me.  I do believe there are other means to acheive this position without the mechanical bed.  Also, from what I've read here, several people have had good luck with a recliner.
Just my $.02.
JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

xocy

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »
Get good drugs; Ambien, or Lunesta. I'm a bilat and it took about 3 months for my sleep to get back to normal. I have no idea what it is like with just one operated hip, but when you have two, nothing seems to fit the same when you lay in your side. It's just wierd. Your knees and ankles don't touch in the same way any more. I can't explain it any better.

Mike

Bilat
Dr. Gross
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Jonner

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 05:24:13 AM »
At 5 weeks post op I am sleeping much better as I think my body isn't working so hard to recover (no more sweats etc). But I will still try Melotonin and Chamomile tea -so thanks for that Casey and maybe Ambien or Lunesta if I don't succeed with the gentle approach, so thanks Mike too. How nice to need an alarm to be woken JohnS, pillows sort of work, but with ones under my back, under my legs and between my legs -most of the night I seem to spend just fighting them! I have actually been getting better sleep by sleeping on the sofa with my legs up in the air on one of the arms, it has the added bonus of reducing swelling because your legs are higher than your body.
 By the time I have my other hip done, this problem will be completely sorted. Thank you everyone for your input and good luck with your own recoveries.
Jonner

JohnS

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
Sure enough I had to open my big mouth about sleeping until the alarm went off.  Last night was awful - I was up about every 1.5 hours and finally gave up at about 4:30 am and just got up.  Just a constant ache and need to move.  With that stupid pillow between my legs, it was near impossible to get onto my side, if even for 10 minutes or so.
Is everyone using a regular pillow or do you have some other solutions that make it a little easier to move around?
JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

wayne-0

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
John,
I took a regular pillow and tied a silk robe belt around it to make it a little smaller(width).It kinda just kept it in a folded up position and was way more comfortable.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat