+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First run  (Read 3276 times)

John C

First run
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
Though I would never have called myself a "runner", since I never ran competitively, I did run on a regular basis as part of my skiing and martial arts conditioning for much of my life. I quit running about 20 years ago, due to back surgery, and the beginnings of my hip issues. :(
At 5 1/2 months after my resurfacing, I went for a 45 minute trail run (really more of a jog) in the mountains yesterday, :D most of it uphill (I walked the trails back down, because I do not feel quite ready for the extra jarring of downhill running). I have been building up to this with 2-4 hour fast paced trail hikes every day, and today just felt that I had to break into a jog. It felt great the whole time, and no after affects. :) :) Ironically, walking around the house still involves some clicking, limping, and stiffness; but once I am a block or so down the trail, that pretty much all goes away.
It is worth noting that this was on soft dirt trails, and going uphill involves less heel strike impact than running on the level.
Anyway, it feels like another great milestone. As an argument for controlled running; building and maintaining bone strength and density around the implants is going to be one of the biggest factors in long term results. Some amount of regular repetitive impact is important to bone health. As Dr. Gross says, though no one knows how much is too much, some amount of impact activities would seem important to long term results. (By "impact", I am obviously not talking about falling off your bike, but the type of foot to ground impact that occurs in many sports activities.)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Jonner

Re: First run
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
Hi John,
That sounds fantastic. Like you I gave up running some time ago, but miss it enormously. I used to do ultra distance and am now 6 weeks post op and the idea I might be able to run again makes my heart pound. Interesting what you say about impact activities being important to bone health -good news! Congratulations on your milestone.
Best wishes
Jonner
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:01:50 AM by Jonner »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: First run
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
Hi John

6 months post op is when many doctors start to let their patients do pretty much what they want.  Just take it easy.  It does take a full year or even longer for everything to heal completely. 

Being more active should help you start to get over the stiffness and clunking.  Most of all that stuff eventually goes away in time.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM