+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: From Japan to ? for Resurfacing  (Read 2252 times)

umijin

From Japan to ? for Resurfacing
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:37:11 PM »
I'm a US citizen working in Japan, age 43, and found that both my hip joints are degenerative. I was physically active (ultimate frisbee, basketball, hiking, scuba) until a year and a half ago when my right hip became too painful. Since then, I swim mostly for exercise but must walk and stand alot for commuting and work. So the right hip has worsened and my Japanese doctor has recommended hip replacement.

For the most part, resurfacing is not often performed in Japan. There are a couple of places that do it, but with very few procedures performed. I just can't see at my age whacking off so much bone to replace my joint for full replacement.

So, I've started to look for options outside of Japan. I have an international health insurance provider, so they may be more willing to cover joint resurfacing than other insurers. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to decide on a surgeon. And things are complicated in that I can't depend on finding any physical therapy here in Japan and my wife has her hands full with our 9 month old girl. I have a month or so window of time in mid-October to accomplish hip replacement.

Thailand and Australia are the closest geographical locations with resurfacers. But the most reputed hospital there (Bumrumgrad) turned me off with their lack of information in their response. None of the Aussies have replied to my emails (2 weeks past), so I'm looking at places in the US. I thought about India, and it seems that Dr. Bose has a good reputation. However, I have reservations about infection problems.

Among resurfacers in the US, I'm somewhat partial to Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic, because of the proximity of my brother. Unfortunately, I can't find a direct email contact - have to go through the hospitals appointment nonsense. I also am interested in Dr. Su in NYC, as his response to me was very professional and quick. But I'm worried about the costs of doing anything in NYC and if I can remain there long enough to get the follow up done. I don't have any relatives there.

In any case, I would appreciate your thoughts. And yes, I have read the patient stories and browsed the hippy site. Nice work!

-Curt

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: From Japan to ? for Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Hi Curt

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I live in the US in Ohio and went to Belgium to have my hip resurfaced with Dr. De Smet.  I went for two reasons:  1) I did not have health insurance and could not afford surgery in the us
2) I wanted a really experienced doctor to do my hips since I was an older woman at 61. Older women have the highest risk for a femur neck fracture.

My flight to Belgium was 8 1/2 hours.  The total cost to Dr. De Smet for my hubby and I including medical expenses ($13,500) was about $17,000    Many people from the US that go to Dr. De Smet do have their insurance compainies pay, but months after the surgery. 

I wanted a really experienced doctor. Dr. De Smet has done over 2400 hip resurfacings and over 3000 THRs. I live in Ohio and although Dr. Brooks is becoming experineced, I would go to Belgium again if I need my other hip done and I am only 3 hours from him.  But there are now a handful of happy Dr. Brooks patients that have written to me.

Dr. Brooks has written to me via email and if you email me privately at pwalter@surfacehippy.info   I will give you his email address.  If you just tell him I gave it to you and explain the situation, I don't think he should be upset. He wrote to me to update his info on my website.

I do know that the infection rate at the Apollo hospital where Dr. Bose operates is very low.  I can put you in touch with a lady that has been there several times.

I guess you will have to continue to do a little research to see where you want to go.  There are a handful of very experienced hip resurfacing doctors in the US - including Dr. Gross that you might also want to think about.

De Smet and Bose will give you free email consultations if you send them an email with your x-rays attached in a digital format or .jpg format.  It is good to get input from some of the best in the world, especially when it is free.  They are both very quick to answer and will correspond with you to make sure you have all the information you need.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
Hi Again

If you want more input from world wide hippies, you might want to join the large Yahoo Surface Hippy Discussion Group of over 6000+ surface hippies http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/  You will get over 100 emails a day so you will need to make a folder for them to go to in your email package or choose to just read them up on Yahoo.  I always like to warn people.

There are people from the Eastern Countries on the group and they might have some suggestions for you.

Good Luck.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

umijin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:14:36 PM »
Pat,

Thanks again for your detailed response and suggestions. :-) I may have many more questions in the future.

-Curt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat