+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: another opinion  (Read 1241 times)

cindy26

another opinion
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
Hey guys,

I went today for another opinion on hip resurfacing.  He is there is noway he can do it.  He brought the smallest MOM implant there is to show it to me.  He said my bones are way to small  (neck) because the stunted growth with the Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis.  He also with the previous pin placement that it probably wouldn't be strong enough for the pin anyways.  3 Drs have told me this now.  I have a THR scheduled on Jan 5th and I am really nervous.  The dr I saw today was kind of a jerk though.  He told me that my problem is that I am still working and that I need to quit work and get on pain meds to make me comfortable.  He said I need to buy myself some time because in a couple of years maybe there would be a better option.  He said he wouldn't do the hip replacement because if I do I will end up in a wheelchair by the age of 50.  So this is his last bit of advice to me  "Suffer now or Suffer later your choice".  How encouraging is that.  He said that he didn't agree with what type of advice my surgeon is using (ceramic on ceramic) and that he thought ceramic on polyetheline would be better because it would provide better cushion.   It just was not a good day.   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: another opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Hi

I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to say I am sorry that you are not getting the news you wanted to hear.  THRs can be revised a number of times, but again it is my understanding that you need really good surgeons doing the THR and then the revisions.  Again, it comes down to using a really experineced surgeon each step of the way.

So I don't think you should dwell on the fact that you will be in a wheel chair. 

Dr. Bose often does very small Indian women with the ASR hip resurfacing device.  He uses that because it works well in very small women.

Just wanted to let you know being small does not mean you can't  have a sucessful resurfacing or THR. 

Go to bed tonight and sleep on it.  Life is not always easy.  Our choices are sometimes very difficult.  Having faith and support help a lot.

Stay in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

cindy26

Re: another opinion
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »
Thanks Pat,

I really appreciate the support.  I have alot of confidence in the surgeon that is scheduled to do my THR.  He has a very good manner and a postive outlook on how things are going to work.  That really makes me at ease.  I am not small at all just very small boned.  He compared the smallest implant he could use to me hip and he told me that it wasn't possible.  I just want things to go well, even if it means a THR.  I will do everything I can to not end up in a w/c.  I am not a quiter and I don't give up.  Thats why this is so hard.  I just want to make the right decision.  I really have faith and believe in this surgeon.

The dr I saw yesterday called my surgeon today and my surgeons office called because they were going to cancel my surgery.  They ended up not cancelling it but I have to see my surgeon tomorrow to go over risk and benefits of having this.  Why did this dr have to do this?  I am really willing to go through and maybe pay for it later.  The dr I saw yesterdays attitude was suffer now or suffer later your choice.  I myself would rather live the life I have to its fullest now.  Who is to say that this bad stuff will happen.  Why sit down, quit work, and take pain meds just to buy myself a year or two, even though its bone on bone several places now.   What quality of life is that?  NONE.  I can't wear shoes that tie, don't wear sock unless I have to, struggle putting them on, struggle baddly to shave, barely can give my son a bath, barely can climb in the tub myself at times,  I do good to make it through a day at work without breaking down into tears.  I am taking pain meds actually strong meds (opana er and lortab).  I am to that point life sucks and thats not me I am usually a very postive person.  Thanks for listening.

Cindy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat