+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-Op Jitters  (Read 28691 times)

Mr.Box

Pre-Op Jitters
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:45:58 PM »
I'm fighting them. It became real this weekend, my replacement starts on Tuesday at my job. I have to train her before I leave in 6 days. I have less then 2 weeks for the surgery and all the things to get done before hand.

I do have to say.. I'm nervous. I'm scared. I tell my wife about this forum all the time and I think it's part therapeutic for myself and for her to say " Here is a great group of people that have been through it and are going through the same issues ".

Thanks for the help already to everyone on here. 
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Spanielsal

Re: Pre-Op Jitters
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »
Hey there, keep busy, don't think about it.

It is big surgery but it is a big return. Everyone is scared, take it one day at a time and we'll all be here for every step of the way.

Just make it all as easy as possible for you to heal, don't ask anything of yourself for at least 2weeks expect to feel pretty rubbish but by 3 weeks you can expect to feel a bit better, by 4 better still and soon you'll be posting that you want to go back to try the north face of the Eiger ......

The rest of your life is waiting for you ....... It's just an investment in your future that you have to get through first. Heal wisely, live free.....
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 04:08:32 AM »
Most people would tell you that the idea of having your hip resurfaced pre-op was very scary, but most people would tell you when they awoke they wondered why they worried at all.

Yes, you may have some aches and pains post-op but I never had more pain post-op than I did pre-op trying to walk 100 yards.

Just keep thinking of the good results, not that short time you are in surgery, besides you'll never know it's even going on.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mike D

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:07:39 AM »
Mr Box
It took me a long time to get my mind right about needing hip surgery.
When I finally accepted it, I made an assumption that I would get a resurfacing but then found I was an unlikely candidate for it.
I didn't know what I would have till I woke in the recovery room and found it was a ceramic THR.
Without the huge support of the people on this site, I think I may possibly have been depressed by that news, but I'm 100% happy with the way things worked out.
The way I saw it was- 'It's my bones that need fixing, what is the best possible action I can take?'
The fix was to get treatment from Mr Treacy and know that I've done everything possible to get the best hip my bones will allow.
Thinking about it like that-thanks to the folks here- did it for me.
By the way, what did you decide on your camping trip? I'm hoping it was a no to that one!
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Mr.Box

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
Thanks for all the comments  :)

I go through phases where I'm ecstatic about getting the operation done and other times where I'm wondering if I should just live with the lack of activity levels and the pain that I experience.

Mike D - I'm actually breaking the news today that I'm not going to be able to join in on the camping trip this year.

Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

mike1966

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
Mr Box,

I was in exactly your position at the start of this year. I agonised back and forth and drove my poor family and friends nuts. I even cancelled once and convinced myself that I wasn't too bad and then beat myself up over cancelling when I looked at the things I was compromising on. This is my thread from February.

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/should-i-go-through-with-the-surgery-or-wait-and-manage/msg31545/#msg31545

If I have to have my other hip done, it wouldn't worry me at all now. You feel crappy for the first week to 10 days but its not too bad. And then things get better. I'm 5 months now, recovering well and very glad I went through with it. You will be fine and everyone on here will be with you.
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
For me I didn't get time to dwell on the surgery too much. Myself and Mr Treacy decided that surgery was the best way forward for me on the Wednesday and two weeks later I was having the surgery!

In truth I couldn't wait for it to happen. I'd been fighting the system and various surgeons for three years so when Mr Treacy agreed, I could have kissed him! I was ready, ready to get rid of the wretched arthritis pain that had been dominating my life, and at 31 I know I couldn't face anymore wasted years on crutches or in a wheelchair.

Everyone is nervous before any surgery. It's normal and natural. All I kept thinking about was how good my life was going to get afterwards. I think the worst part was laying on the bed, waiting for the anaesthetic to me administered, I may have even shed a little tear waiting, but the nurse who was looking after me, held my hand, stroked my hair and said 'close your eyes, have a nice sleep and i'll be the first person you see when you wake up'. And she was.... with tea and toast waiting for me!!

I had no pain for the first day as the spinal was still in effect, but once that had worn off, the meds took over. Yes, your body will feel it, but no more than a heavy session down the gym. And the best part? When I took my first steps with the PT's 24 hours later? No arthritis pain, at all! I actually cried!! But with happiness and sheer relief.

You really won't regret this. I'm a little over 3 weeks now and the progress is small day by day, but my surgery wasn't straight forward. On the whole though, i'm very happy.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
Its funny how the mind works before the Op I was questioning if I had done the right thing in booking myself in for it. Then I would have a bad day I knew I had. Now the weirdest thing is some days I question why I had it and if I really needed it. Its like I seem to temporarily forget how I used to walk like an old man with a pile of poo in my pants and the sleepless nights. Keep focused on a pain free future.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

kamoynsgi

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
I don't think that you really want to 'just live with the lack of activity levels and the pain'.  You are just going through the perfectly natural phase of thinking you can put this off for another few weeks/months/years, same as a we all did.

Pre-op does feel a bit surreal, especially if you are having the reality check of someone else doing your job while you won't be there!  That must mean its really going to happen then!

It's no picnic, but you will be post op before you know it.

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

China Lady

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 06:10:07 AM »
Oh yes, I feel the pre-op jitters too. Now I have 3 weeks until surgery. I try to let them NOT  rule my normal life. I enjoy the small things comming my way. I ride motorbike and that teached me something:
When I look down, close to my front wheel, I will hit the next pothole for sure. When I look ahead, I see what is comming and can react in time.
I take each day as it comes and deal with my soul as careful as with my body
..... I will find out

luann again

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
Yes! Pre-op jitters are  perfectly normal! I was terrified! Cried, even canceled my first surgery appt!
Anyway, I say this over and over- I finally got to the point where NOT having the surgery was much scarier than having it. Do you get what I mean? Thank goodness we live in a time where we have hope! Look forward to getting your life back!   Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Horse rider

horse back riders with resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
I am looking to find other horse back riders who have had resurfacing and are back to riding. I am scheduled with Dr. Gross  in a few weeks for bilateral. I have been dealing with hip issues for about 10 years and it seems like its time now . I have had two arthroscopic procedures that have given me  this last 10 years of time. I am nervous about the decision to do this surgery vs a total hip. I am a 54 year old woman. Any advice is much appreciated!

ErikG

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
Horse rider- I just responded to your post on another thread. But just wanted to say I also had Gross as a surgeon as did my ballet dancer friend. He was back performing in 8 months. It's a long recovery but after first 5 days post op you will feel progress daily. If you're diligent about rehab recovery without pushing anything too hard  I can't see why you couldn't return to horse riding within a year. Despite my slow recovery I'm so glad I did resurfacing vs a THR. Im skiing next week (for the first time in 20 years) and I have no anxiety at all about a fracture. Gross really is a great surgeon so I think you should be confident about your choice .
Thomas Gross left hip 4/16 right hip 8/16.

ErikG

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 11:52:04 PM »
I should also mention that my back problems that I've dealt with for 15 years have been virtually eradicated since my surgeries.
Thomas Gross left hip 4/16 right hip 8/16.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat