+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Magnetic Resonance bone regeneration  (Read 6651 times)

brianflanagan

Magnetic Resonance bone regeneration
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Hi all,

Today, I met Dr John George in Dubai.
http://www.transform.ae/team/dr-george-john/

He saw my scans .
He said that he is very comfortable with doing hip resurfacing but he would prefer start with a bone regenerating solution first and see what we can get.

He talked to me about Magnetic Resonance bone regeneration which is a modern technique to regenerate bone.
I will first have to pass an MRA to have a better view of my remaining joints and their size.

Then if it is good enough, he would like me to do Magnetic Resonance bone regeneration technique. It will be 9 sessions of 1 hour. Then 2 months later we might see the results.

His plan is to regenerate bone femur with this technique so that inflammation will decrease and I will get my mobility back.

Do you know this technique ?
What could be possible results ?

Thanks a lot !
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

chuckm

Re: Magnetic Resonance bone regeneration
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »

Did the surgeon give you a firm diagnosis for your pain? People who are candidates for hip resurfacing have lost or damaged cartilage on the surface of the bones. The resurfacing technique replaces the cartilage while preserving as much bone as possible.
If the surgeon is looking into bone regeneration for you then I wonder what he thinks is causing your pain?

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
Hey Brian,

As chuck mentions, hip resurfacing is meant to address osteoarthritis, which is mostly expressed by the loss of cartilage of the hip.

The regrowth of bone wouldn't directly help with this, since the cartilage (if that is the problem) would still be compromised and eroding away.

The hip resurfacing procedure, while it tries to preserve the bone and can be helpful in replacing some of its function, is mostly targeted at creating a functioning equivalent of the hip's cartilage supported by the bone.

It wouldn't help to regrow the bone if the cartilage was gone, since then you'd be still bone on bone (as I was) and in pain.

It may be better for you to email your scans to other doctors that Pat has on the site, who would look at them and advise you about it as well.

Good luck...

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

horse doc

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

It might be that you are looking at PEMF treatment, not magnetic resonance?

https://earthpulse.net/magnetic-therapy-osteoporosis/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26972335

The commercial sites make it sound pretty interesting but inspire skepticism. 

How much do the treatments cost? 

brianflanagan

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »
Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

You are right, I was so enthusiastic because he offered me a second option and a more conservative one.
Doctor thinks that I still have enough cartilage and that's why it could be a relevant option.
If this technic works and allows me to regenerate bone, inflamation will be reduced and pain will decrease.
But I understand that if I don't have enough cartilage, it will still be bone on bone and that will not be good.

I will pass new xrays this week-end and a scan (MRA) hopefully next week to determine the size of what's left of my cartilage in my hip.

I'm happy to send my actual xray to Doctors on this web site, but they might need MRA to have an idea about cartilage, right ?

Are you aware of this technic ? Magnetic Resonance
I'm surprised that people are not more interested by alternative options.

Thanks

Quig

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

Brian, what are your symptoms? Are you diagnosed with arthritis or something else?

Of course all of us here would be interested in alternative techniques if they prove to be effective. The central issue of the arthritis the vast majority of us here have suffered from is simply a deterioration of cartilage and reduction of joint space and not a bone problem. As it was explained to me by many doctors, cartilage cannot be regenerated. Not yet anyway. Of course, if(when?) that technology were to be discovered it would be absolutely world changing.

Good luck going forward, I hope what you've found proves to be very helpful!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:49:18 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »
I think sending XRays and any other scans would help the doctors listed make a better judgement and give you better advice.

As to magnetic resonance, it is used as the basis for a lot of diagnostics (MRI - magnetic resonance imaging), but based on some new observations, the induction of high magnetic fields can induce the production of adult stem cells and possible regeneration of cells.

This is still in its infancy, and while stem cells offer all sorts of promise, the whole discipline seems to be in the exploration stage. Both the effects and environment for actual reprogramming of stem cells are being clarified.

It's a long reach from experimental "we are still finding out things" to effective treatment. So the existence of a predictable and reliable treatment that would grow bones and / or cartilage would be a good surprise for me, but would still be a surprise.

It's better to hedge your bets in my opinion, and have a plan B which can quickly become a plan A if needed. Hence my suggestion to submit your XRays and scans for second opinions. You can ask them about this clinic as well.

I think many of us are very interested in alternative treatments and a good number have pursued them. The window of time to execute an effective treatment is not wide enough for many of us to wait for new technologies to be found and to blossom, though and so, we (as in my case) went with the best at hand - resurfacing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:01:21 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

brianflanagan

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

How can I send xrays to Doctors on this forum please ?

Here is what happened :
When I was 14 years old I was super flexible and did martial arts. I probably went to far or I don't know what happened but I injured my hip and result was a bump.
It took years but I started to feel the pain when I was around 20 years old. I continued martial arts for more that 10 years till it was so painful I had to stop.

I saw a lot of Doctors and they did not know what I had.
So finally, I found one who explained to me what I had.

Because of the bump, femur during certains of my moves was forcing and damaging inside of my hip.
Femur became oval and damaged cartilage. Result was an inflammation.
I had an arthroscopy  years ago to remove the bump in the hip, to clean the joint and to make the head of the femur round again.
When I saw this doctor recently, we had a look at the xrays and the bone of the head of the femur. He mentioned dysplasia as there was a lack of bone density on the head of the femur.
That's why he thought of another option to try to gain bone density as he said that result might be that inflammation will step back.

I think I have lost too much of cartilage, so the more I think of the bone regeneration option, the more I think it will be useless :-(

I will pass MRA next Wednesday to know exactly how much cartilage remains.
I will post the scans.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:13:10 AM by brianflanagan »

blinky

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Glad you are ready to take the next step.

I'd go to each doc's website and see what he requires. It is all likely pretty much the same, but better to know who wants a digital X-ray, who wants a hard copy, etc. And they have questionnaires to fill out, too. Dr Gross is the one I am familiar with. Go to grossortho.com and there is a tab with the forms and the information of what to send and where to send it. (And if you are so excited you can't contain yourself and then feel compelled to contact the office and ask if they got your stuff, they are very nice about it. Not that anyone I know did that...)

Do you have X-rays now, ones that are less than six months old? You can get copies of them and send them. You may have to pay a small fee. When you get the scans done, you can use those (but I think some docs prefer X-rays). If you don't have fresh X-rays or the X-rays are not done at the right angle, Dr Gross will order some for you to be done.

Good luck to you.

Read your earlier posts. Sounds like you aren't in the US, but I think it would still be worthwhile for you to send info to a few US docs just to get their opinions. Drs Gross and Pritchett will opine free. They might be able to help you figure out your next step.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:54:15 PM by blinky »

brianflanagan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I got the scan. I will try to contact Doctors and share my scans with them.

I've met again Dr John George and he advised me to try a more conservative approach first.
He does not have problem to go for a surgery. It will be Birmingham technic with a porous acetabular cup.
I suppose it is quite standard. I asked him about the scar and said around 5cm.

So I am planning to go for the conservative approach. I will do it in the middle of March. According to him , if there are positive results, then results can be expected after 2 months.
Apparently he as seen some interesting improvements on other patients, not necessarily on hips though.
After 2 months if I don't see any improvement, I will have lost some money and I will go for a surgery.

The technic is called MBST :
http://mbst-therapy.co.uk/what-is-mbst/

brianflanagan

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
About MBST, have you heard about it ?

Apparently, it would regenerate bone and cartilage .

brianflanagan

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
Hi all,

A quick update about this treatment.

I've been through 1 week of MBST treatment : 1 hour every day during 7 days.

I could feel an improvement since after the first session !
I was really skeptical but it worked amazingly ... during 3 weeks :-(
During 3 weeks I almost forgot that I had problems with my left hip.
It was so nice to walk normally and my left abductors were not tensed anymore.

But it did not last.
And I only feel a small improvement compared to before the MBST treatment.

Dr John George said that this is a good sign and this is interesting.
That's why he still want to find another option to the hip resurfacing surgery.

brianflanagan

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
To give you a more complete picture, I had an intervention some years ago to clean the articulation, to remove the bump on my hip and to make the femur round again. Because of the bump on the hip, my femur got oval and was damaging my cartilage inside of the articulation.

he had a look at the MRI and told me that my problem here is the lack of cartilage on the top of the femur.
But he indicated me that I still have cartilage everywhere else.

My next option is stem cells.
I will open another topic to discuss about stem cells.

Thanks !

MattJersey

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »
I'm all in favour of finding real solutions over the resurfacing approach, absolutely. But, I am a confirmed sceptic, and I like evidence based approaches to everything.

I love the sound of stem cell magic, and magnetic resonance. But how come short lived results? I smell some quackery.

I would immediately look for the bone growth, I find it surprising that in the stem cell topic, and this one on magnetism, there is no mention of new X-rays that show the positive improvement in joint space or bony growth. Didn't they take any before and after to measure and provide the evidence I crave (or that might expose it as snake medicine)?

We seem only to get anecdotal short lived improvements that I suspect are placebo, or possibly the cushioning or anti inflammatory effect provided by whatever is injected. This is true of glucosamine sulphate which many poor elderly folk end up spending a fortune on in the hope of results whilst no true study has shown proof it really works (my experience was my fingernails seemed to grow faster!).

Not wishing great possibilities away, but if they aren't measuring the degree of success, or otherwise, of the procedure it seems the process of finding something better than what we have available today is only prolonged.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

brianflanagan

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
Hi,

I understand the questions and the doubts.
You are right, some images would have been good to measure and eventually to see if something happened in the hip.

What I know for sure is that the pain and the disconfort was better and better after every session.
The great feeling of freedom and mobility was there for 3 weeks.
That was definitely not placebo.

This was just my feedback about these 7 sessions of MBST treatment.

catfriend

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
You may well have felt better after those few session. Whether the effect was real or placebo is immaterial. I felt fantastic for a few weeks after I had the cortisone shot in my right hip. After it wore off I felt worse than ever. I swear I felt so good and was so active that I totaled whatever little bit of cartilage I had left. all it really did was delay - and make more obvious the need for - the inevitable. Either way, you're not improved. You still need to be fixed. As of now there is no way to bring back cartilage once it's gone. It won't heal like a broken bone. Not the same thing. You're in the same boat as when you started. Have you sent your x-rays to any surgeons? You can keep trying with the non-invasive, but you should should have something solid in your back pocket.

brianflanagan

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 05:56:37 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

It was definitely not a placebo.
I will try the stem cells treatment as indicated in the other post and I will then see if I go for a surgery.
I will probably have to go for a surgery , but at least I want to try the different non too invasibe options I have.
I will tell you how it goes .

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat