+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Raterman Tampa and the surgeon questionnaire  (Read 4861 times)

Dutch123

Dr. Raterman Tampa and the surgeon questionnaire
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
Hello:

I have a consult with Dr. Stephen Raterman in Tampa.  Anyone have first hand?
Also, I believe I once saw a questionnaire for a potential surgeon here- does that ring a bell?

Thank you
Dutch

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dr. Raterman Tampa and the surgeon questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Hi Dutch

Here is a list of questions

http://surfacehippy.info/questions-to-ask-your-hip-resurfacing-surgeon/

Here are some Dr. Raterman personal stories

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-stories/dr-raterman/

Good luck.  Let us know how things are going in the future.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dutch123

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
Okay- Happy New Year!
Tomorrow appointment with Dr. Fowble in Jupiter. Then a few days later, Dr. Raterman in Tampa.
Wish me luck!

Dutch123

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
Back from appt with Dr. Fowble. Hes done about 50. Says hes not a high volume guy for Birmingham. I mentioned Dr.Raterman and he is aware of him. Dr. Fowble says he trained under a guy in California- Ansett or Amsett? Dr. Fowble says he taught the BHR - fwiw.
Yes, I am a candidate for bilateral Birmingham. He does them 2-3 weeks apart- not the same day Says he doesnt like rotating the patient to the operated hip to expose the other hip. Also said the insurance doesnt pay as two separate operations if done the same day. He gave me 2 patients to call that had Birmngham.  I had to sign a Medical Arbitration Agreement. Is this common? Thursday- Dr. Raterman

Dutch123

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »
Okay all- back from Tampa and Dr.Raterman. He’s the man. Trained by McMinn. Answered all my questions. Suggested the bilateral be done on different appointments. Said I was a textbook candidate. Still processing it all. Look to have the procedure in May.

Thank you
Dave
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:05:58 PM by Dutch123 »

Dutch123

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
Surgery is set for early May.  Three weeks prior need a pre-op class there. Right hip Birmingham procedure. Looking forward to the great results and being pain free. Keep you posted

Dutch

Shiggy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
Hi Dutch/Dave,

Congrats on doing your research, selecting an experienced surgeon and setting the date for your HR. Now it's just the waiting and anticipation between now and May.  One tip I would offer is to get yourself into good physical condition prior to the surgery as this tends to speed recovery in most cases.  Knowing that certain types of exercise can be a pain in the hip, below is a link to the routine I used prior to both of my resurfacing surgeries, if interested. 

https://shiggyblog.wordpress.com/10-pre-surgery-workout/

-Shiggy

LBHR  6/20/2017  Dr Pritchett
RBHR 10/10/2017 Dr Pritchett

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:05:33 PM by Shiggy »

Dutch123

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »
Shiggy;

Just checked the pre op exercise prgram and printed it. Currently, I do 30-40 minutes hard or easy cardio varies by day and ride the road on the weekend. I also do 20 min free weights 3x weeks- bicep, pec and tri- but I will incorporate this new program- 12 weeks away from  surgery and pain free living.

thanks
Dutch

Dutch123

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Pre-op visit first week of April. Half day class on how to “behave” after surgery and first part of day physial blood work etc. I did the prescribed PT now I am on my own. May 2 is the day. I am looking forward to getting rid of 3plis years of chronic pain

Dutch123

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
Hello:

Okay, replying to my own posts,etc.. Did the pre-op in Tampa. Morning was the blood works, tests,etc and the afternoon was the class.  Lots of information. Some confusion on when patients leave.  The orthopaedics said, some patients leave later that day and it all depends on the 5 criteria.  Speaking with the medical team doctor he said it will be an overnight stay.  This is odd. Also, the medical doctor fro mthe surgery tram who wrote 3 perscrips had one denied beacuse he does not have the proper credentials to write the script.  Again, this is odd and makes me feel a bit uneasy. That is, do these people know what is going on? Surgeon has down 2000++ so I feel that I am in great hands.

Part of this surgeons post op protocol is battery automated leg pressure cuffs.  During the hip class I was informed these must be worn at night.  During the day, to aviod wearing, I must move about 5-10 minutes each hour to continue blood flow.

They did not make a BIG deal about ice. However, this forum seems to stress ICE ICE baby...
Also, no real direction for sleeping. That is, recliner, zero gravity camping chair, pull out bed with higher mattress not mentioned. It was do what feels comfortable?  I have 2 zero chairs and a sofa sleeper, so?

Thoughts?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
Hi

Each surgeon has their own post op protocol.  Most surgeons always say don't sit for more than 45 minutes at a time and then walk and stretch.  I had to do that on the 8 1/2 hour flight back from Belgium.  Interrupted my nap time!  LOL

There actually have been a few patients that had blood clots in their legs.  Fortunately, they went to the ER in time and were treated.  Blood clots are a real problem and everyone should follow their surgeons rules in trying to combat them.

Most people like recliners.  Some patients ice a lot and some don't.  I did not ice at all, nor did the other patients with me in Belgium.  We are all different.  It is good to know what to do if you have swelling.  Also keep your legs raised - toes about your nose - as Dr. De Smet says.

Most can't sleep on their sides very soon.  I was able to 6 or 7 days, very gingerly with a pillow between my legs.  Pillow is very important.

Take it easy.  Don't push and if it hurts - don't do it.  Healing will occur with time - short in some cases, long in others.

Pat

Take it easy.  You will be
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM