+-

Author Topic: Security at the airport  (Read 1815 times)

Barbara

Security at the airport
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »
I fly quite often and I understand that my new hips are going to set off the alarms at the airport. What have people experienced while going through security. Do they just scan you with the wand or do they do the whole pulling you aside and baggage search thing? My Dr said he would give me a card to show but I read somewhere that they are not acceptable to the TSA.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Security at the airport
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »
Those cards from your doctor can be easily counterfitted.  My mother in-law has metal in her knee and she always gets pulled aside and scanned.

If they question it, show em your scar.  That's what I am going to do, they will for sure want me out of there then.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JeanM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:23:54 PM »
It's very easy.  When you set off the metal detector, just tell them that you have a metal hip and need to be wanded.  They'll direct you over to a special area, where they pass the wand over you and pat you down.  They totally understand that the wand will go off when passed over your hip and it's no big deal.  They don't go through your bags.

Occasionally, I haven't even set off the metal detector and have sailed right through undetected.  I always let them know anyway by saying hey, I have a metal hip and should be setting this thing off.  You might want to check it.  Surprisingly, they never seem too alarmed about it.

Some airports have a newer system where they don't have to wand you.  They have you stand in some sort of imaging machine.  It's pretty cool and really quick and easy. 

In any case, it's never a big problem and not a big deal at all.  No worries.

Jean
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

stevel

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
I have been through security at three airports, Newark, NJ; Juneau, AK and Portland, OR.  Each time they knew I had a hip implant and motioned me to the side where they used a wand or did a hand pat-down over my body.  The screening must show the implant on a monitor.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

triathloner

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »
Maybe dumb question but did you get a new wallet or purse for Christmas.  Some of those have sensors imbedded in them that don't always get de-activated at time of sale. 
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats