+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bi Lat Resurfacing by Dr. Su at HSS  (Read 5305 times)

nwugrad

Bi Lat Resurfacing by Dr. Su at HSS
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
I want to thank Vickie, Pat and other bloggers for their support over the past 6 months as I investigated and prepared for my bi lat hip resurfacing. I also want to thank Vicki for assisting me in getting in to see Dr. SU promptly.

My surgery was performed 17 days ago and I am up and about with minimal pain.  I take Arthritis Tylenol 1 - 2 times per day and percoset 1 - 2 times per day.  Percoset is limited to bedtime and before rehab, especially long PT sessions. 

At my pre surgery consultation Dr. Su recommended I go to a acute rehab facility post hospital discharge b/c I was receiving a bi lat.  I fully intended to do so and told the case manager at the Hospital for Special Surgery.  My surgery was completed early evening on Thursday nite.  I stayed in the PACU overnite and until the next afternoon due to a shortage of beds on the med surg floors. Other than the issues I had with the Post Op Case Managers and PTs which I detail below, the care at HSS was outstanding.  The staff is responsive, helpful and caring.  The food is very good and the atmosphere is great. How can you complain about a bed by the wall to wall windows overlooking the East River. My only regret is that they would not let me have my nightly glass of red wine.

Dr. Su visited me everyday but Sunday while I was in HSS.  On Sunday he called me to see how I was doing.  Also one of his staff came to examine me everyday I was in HSS.  Dr Su and his staff were very attentive.

I loved the staff at HSS with the exception of the Post Op Case Managers who took over post surgery and the PTs.  That said the PTs were knowledgeable about physical therapy they just didn't coordinate with the Post Op Case Managers and didn't advise me regarding what I should do or not do in order to qualify for inpatient acute rehab. 

In general the Post Op Case Managers had a negative/pessimistic attitude.  They are really Discharge Planners, i.e., primarily concerned with finding a place for you outside the hospital in order to open up beds, rather than Case Managers who proactively help you find the best options post discharge.  In addition, the Post Op Case Managers were incompetant b/c they waited until Monday before filing a request for coverage at an acute rehab. This  should have been filed on Friday, i.e. asap post surgery as long as you've had at least one PT session.  As a result of waiting until Monday to file with the insurance company,  BCBS of PA,  my request for acute rehab coverage was denied. I appealed 2X and lost both appeals. Note: that approval of acute rehab for bi lat hip patients is usually granted if you don't do something stupid to disqualify yourself.

In this regard,the Physical Therapists were complicit with this mistake b/c they did not tell me what the parameters for acute rehab approval are and encouraged me to try to do things that would disqualify me for acute rehab.  For example they let me walk 250 feet with a walker on the 3rd day post op.  This apparently disqualified me for acute rehab.  Also, as a result I spent 2 extra days at HSS, pending unsuccessful appeals.  During this time I was in a catch 22.  I got minimal PT and didn't want to do too much less I hurt my case for acute rehab coverage.  Meanwhile, by restraining my PT you I risked slowing down my rehab progress.

[Advice: Don't do something stupid like this if you are a bi lat. Bi lats should qualify for inpatient acute rehab coverage, single hip patients generally do not qualify for acute rehab, however.   In acute rehab you get 3 hrs of rehab a day, w/o paying a co pay for out patient PT. Otherwise, most patients get a PT to come to their home, 2 - 3 times a week for 1 hr/ day. The PT is much less rigorous and complete compared to inpatient acute rehab, so get acute rehab if you can. Make it very clear to the Case Manager that you want to go to acute rehab AND make sure that the Case Manager files for acute rehab approval with your insurance company the first day you get PT. The longer you wait the more likely that your PT progress will disqualify you for acute rehab coverage.  IN ADDITION<, make it very clear to  the PTs that pending approval of you coverage for acute rehab you do not want to do anything that would disqualify you, i.e. walk too far, go up and down steps or succeed at performing ADLs, i.e. activities of daily living.  ]

Luckily, in my search for the best acute rehab ortho programs in the Philadelphia area, I found that Bryn Mawr Rehab had a out patient day ortho program.  This program began in August of 2008 and is one of only two such programs in the US designed to treat ortho patients, primarily hip replacements and resurfacings and knee replacements.  It provides 3 hrs per day of PT plus nurse supervision, on an outpatient basis.  The program is designed to go on for 7 consecutive days.  Generally, each patient is examined by a nurse b/t 9 and 10 AM.  From 10 AM to 12 PM you get PT.  Lunch is provided from 12 PM to 12:30 PM.  From 12 :30 PM to 1 PM your rest in a recliner and ice down.  You get PT from 1 PM to 2 PM. After 2 PM you ice down and leave. NOTE: this is an outpatient program so under your insurance you may be responsible for a co pay for each visit and the visits are deducted from the number of days of outpatient PT covered by your insurance plan.

IF you can find one of these programs, make sure that they understand that while you as a hip resurfacing patient don't have hip restrictions like hip replacement patients, you do have  to prevent prolonged unassisted weight bearing. Stay off the treadmill ( instead use a stationary bike with no or low resistance) and also don't stand on one leg too long.  If doing single leg exercises alternate from one leg to another after each rep instead of doing 10 or 20 reps on each leg before alternating.

I am now discharged from the outpatient day ortho program and begin PT for 1 hr per day 3X per week beginning tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I am doing about 30 minutes a day on a stationary bike and doing seated or supine upper body resistance training at the gym.  I also do standard floor or table exercises, i.e, glute squeezes, bridges, heal slides, abductor slides, leg extensions, and ankle pumps twice a day.

I am looking forward to getting into a pool but I need to be sure that my incisions are fully healed first.  I had the staples removed 6 days post op.  I only have steri strips remaining.  All drainage has stopped.  I hope to get clearance in 9 days when I have my first follow up appointment with Dr. Su.  I am looking forward to my appointment so I can get clinical feed back re: my progress.  I am very pleased with the procedure and my progress to date.  I can't wait to be able to resume an active lifestyle.

My pain level has been very manageable.  Initially I had some discomfort/tightness in my left hip, need the ball, when I transferred weight for my heal to my toe.  That  pain is going away.  I also have to focus on keeping my left foot and knee turned inward. Otherwise I walk with my toes rotated slightly outward.  Sometimes when I walk and keep my toes pointed straight ahead I feel some tightness in the left hip area.  Has any one else experience this?  Any suggestions re: how to treat/remedy this?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:44:33 PM by nwugrad »

wayne-0

Re: Bi Lat Resurfacing by Dr. Su at HSS
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »
Hey Nwugrad,
Congragulations on a successful bi-lat surgery. From what I've read there aren't a whole lot of us that have them done the same day 8). I walked with the toes out pre surgery but after surgery the toes and feet all point straight ;D. Just a note when I got into water therapy it made a world of difference for me. Doing all the exercises without all the stress on the body made it easier for me to push things. Good luck.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

nwugrad

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:58:33 PM »
Wayne O,

Thanks!  I only wish I had this done 3 years ago or more.  Glad to hear that all went well with your bi lat.  How long has it been? 

P.S.  How long after surgery did you begin water exercises?

Thanks again!

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »
Nwugrad,
It's been 3 months now and I am doing fantastic. Most of the time I can't even tell that just 3 months ago I had surgery. My ROM is way better than it's been in years but I'm still not where I want it to be. Because I was so bad before surgery I think it will take me a little while longer to get that total flexability back that i want. It does continue to improve every week as I continue my streching routine. I got in the pool at the end of week 5 post op.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

nwugrad

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »
Wayne O

Best of luck.  I can sympathize. Dr. Su said that my hips were some of the worst he ever saw, especially with regard to osteophytes on the bone and even some particles floating in the joint area.  Consequently, I am anticipating the need to continue to work hard at rehabbing.

thanks again,

stevel

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
Hi Nwugrad,

I'm a fellow Dr. Su hippy.  I had a bit of scheduling problems regarding post-op physical therapy.  I had surgery on a Monday and was discharged on Friday.  I had a prescription for physical therapy at the Rehabilitation Department in the Belaire Guest Facilities, but they are closed on weekends.  I had PT on Monday AM and saw Dr. Su for 1 week post-op on Monday PM.  He gave me a prescription for 6 weeks PT, 3 x week, for my return home on Tuesday.  When I returned home, everybody was booked for 3 weeks and I had to jockey between available physical therapists to stay on schedule.  He has extended my PT for a total of 18 weeks and I may need one more extension for PT, once every two weeks.  I see my physical therapist tomorrow for the last visit of my current prescription.

Did you attend the total hip replacement/resurfacing class prior to surgery?  I received "Discharge Planning Education" brochure from the case management department.  This brochure describes acute and subacute rehab options.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »
Congratulations on the new hips!  You are an official surface hippy now!

Glad to hear things went well for you.  Dr. Su is a great surgeon.

I am sure you will do well and have a great summer ahead of you.

Take it easy and don't push.  Listen to your body.  It will heal at it's own rate.

Enjoy those new hips!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

nwugrad

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:03:58 AM »
Pat,

Thank you very much!  This web site and you and Vickie have been inspirations.

Stevel,

Thanks and best of luck!  I did attend the Pre Surg Orientation.  Meryl Coleman, the Pre Op Case Manager was very helpful and supportive.  She agreed that as a Bi Lat I should go to an inpatient acute rehab program for a week or so.  THe options in the book were all in the NYC area and I wanted to go back to the Philly area since it would be easier on my family.  I did the research into acute rehab options in the Philly area and provided that to Meryl pre op.  The Post Op Case Managers, however, dropped the ball.

Where do you live?  I haven't found it as difficult as you have to get into PT therapy.  How many weeks post op are you now?

stevel

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
Mike,

I live in Douglas, Alaska which is 3 miles from the capital city, Juneau.  I am 20 weeks post-op.  I've had excellent PT.  I've worked with two different physical therapists and they have guided me through my recovery by providing appropriate exercises and stretches for each stage of my recovery.  I have an appointment at 9:30 AM AST today and I wonder what else the physical therapist will find that needs improvement?
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

nwugrad

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:43 AM »
Stevel

Sounds like you're doing well.  Keep up the good work and best of luck!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat