+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Got some good news today....  (Read 1707 times)

B.I.L.L.

Got some good news today....
« on: February 24, 2009, 05:19:38 AM »
Hey you guys Bill with the 65 degree cup here.  Most of you know me but for those of you who don't here is the short version. I was having a tough slow recovery after my right bhr 9-22-09.  My cup angle is 65 degrees and was listed as a failure by one of the doctors. After lots of 2nd opinions ranging from leave it, to revise asap, to wait and see, maybe it will be ok, (so pretty much opinions that were all over the map) I was a mental basket case wondering what to do.  After talking to one of the doctors on this site (Dr. Klug in Roseville) We came to the decision to run with what we got.  My progress has really improved in the last 3 or 4 weeks and he was the first doctor to really spend some time going over my case and x-rays, the guy spent 45 minutes on the phone with me just today, NObody else was willing to do that. And I am happy to report that while my progress was at a snails pace in the beginning, lately it has been improving steadily and am back to work full time and feeling stronger and more confident every week.  He said if there are issues down the road he'd be happy to do a cup revision on short notice but has seen patients with worse x-rays do great, and any benefit would not be worth the extra bone loss in the pelvis.  So anyway I feel like I have been a drama queen around here (Ha Ha) and it is a relief to just concentrate on pt and getting my life back. No pain meds for a couple weeks now after chowing several a day for the first 3 1/2 months. I don't know why my recovery was slower than most, maybe I waited too long (8 years of hip pain) and my muscles and range of motion were next to zero, maybe because I am 35 lbs overweight, I don't know exactly why, but it has turned around for me now and I can not find words to describe how relieved I am.  I want say THANK YOU to all of you in here who gave me encouragement and even help me do some research on this, I owe ya all a beer !!  You guys (and girls) helped me get through the most trying experience of my life. Thanks again, Bill   

wayne-0

Re: Got some good news today....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:05:49 AM »
Great news B.I.L.L.
Maybe soon we will be back in the water! I almost feel like i can give it a go, so maybe I'll try next week. I will take you up on that beer, my good bro is the bar manager at fishermans so maybe he'll slip in a few freebies ;D ;D ;D.
The waves were good yesterday and today did ya see them?

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »
Uuuhhh...yeah I did see the surf yesterday actually, I took this around 4:00 pm.  :D 

You still on that same job ? 

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:39:19 AM »
Alright Bill!

Glad to hear things are looking good..was my hopes that you might feel stronger every day and that your improvements would kick in.

Pale Ale is my favorite beer btw..ever try a Fire Rock??  funny story behind that one, will tell you later about it..

If you didn't notice, I had some great kiting these last 2 weeks since I started it again...Friday being the absolute best for me, conditions were perfect for wave riding with kite assistance.

Keep them posts coming and let us know the scoops..
Eric

stevel

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »
Hi Bill,

That is great news!  I even asked a question to Dr. Gross on the chat on 2/17 about your condition.  He replied "I would usually not recommend revising just for a steep angle unless there are some symptoms."
I like "Alaskan Amber."
Your surgery was close to mine e.g. 9/22/08 vs 9/29/08.  I've recovered very well.  I'm mulling whether I should downhill ski and play racketball after 6 months post-op or wait a year.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 05:46:28 AM »
B.I.L.L.
Those pics you post are sweet. Keep them coming.Same job for the next two months.Eric don't tell us about the fire rock beer until we come out there and you've shown us all the secret spots.Hey Bill looks like you're gonna go broke buying everyone a beer.My favorite beer is an open one. ;D

Wayne

11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
Yeah thanks you guys. Stevel, I was late for the Dr. Gross chat and saw that in there and figured that was for me, Thanks man !!  And Wayne I would go broke going through another surgery hahaha, the beers I can afford  8)   

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
Great to hear Bill.  I would not want to have it redone and go through all that again.  I did not see my x-rays at the 1 month and started to wonder about the angle of my device. 

I am at 6 months and have increase my exercising trying to get back into shape.  With each workout comes weird feelings from my hip. It goes away after a day but I always start worrying that I am screwing something up in there.  I have lost 7lbs as of today with another 10 to go. 

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer