+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Year Anniversary - Kinda  (Read 1764 times)

DirkV

One Year Anniversary - Kinda
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:24:43 AM »
I'm a staged bilateral, 5 weeks apart, and today was the 1 yr anniversary for my 1st resurfacing (i.e., right hip). A common phrase used to advocate for hip resurfacing is "getting your life back." It's 11 p.m., and here is a synopsis of my day:
6:30 awake.
7:15: leave house on bike to meet with group for Saturday ride.
7:30: Group bicycle ride. 62 miles. I'm not the first guy up the hill or to the sprint finishes, but I'm with the 'hammerheads' contesting for these little prizes.
12:30 - 6:00: Work with wife and kids on yardwork, weedkill, patio fence, wash car, etc.
6:30 Burgers on the grill!
8:00- 11:00: clean garage, drink a few beers.
Yeah, my ROM is still not all the way back, and my butt cheeks are still filling in where the incision is, and I can still tell I had surgery a year ago - not every moment, but certainly every day. The biggest difference is absence of pain during and after activity. I cannot remember the last time I had an ibuprofen. Before the resurfacing, it was a way of life: active day, take ibu's. Even so, the tipping point became the attendant bad mood from pain after doing yard work and the like. Thanks to this site (and the Yahoo site) and all the people willing to share advice and experience, and good technology, and good surgeons, and the many good wishes and prayers along the way.
Keep lookin' up,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Bionic

Re: One Year Anniversary - Kinda
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »
Congratulations, Dirk!  That was just a pleasure to read.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

dvander

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:09:13 AM »
Here - here, for the fact that there is no continuing pain after activity and a return of a positive attitude toward life!!! It has reversed the internal ageing I was experiencing the years before the surgery.  Thanks for the reminder of the wonderful benefits of the decision we made and those blessed with the expertise who were able to perform this surgery.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
Dirk,

Congratulations! Good job on the ride! I'm glad o hear everything in your life is good. How's Charlie doing?

take care,

spencer

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »
Dirk,

Thanks for posting.  It gives me something to look past my upcoming bilat surgery with Dr. Gross in just two weeks.  I hope in a year I'll be able to ride my bike again.

I hadn't been on a bike in over the past year as we have been in the middle of a move and it has been in storage. The other day, I was doing some maintenance on ours bikes and just for the heck of it I tried going for a ride.  I was shocked and horrified that I couldn't even throw my leg over the bar to get on! That's when I realized how rapidly my hips have deteriorated and how badly I need to the surgery.

I wish you a continued successful recovery.

Alan/Denver
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

DirkV

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
Hi Spencer,
I saw Charlie just this afternoon - we were in adjacent lanes at a stop light. He's doing well. He and his wife were just returning from a hike. As you gathered, he's much more dedicated and deliberate in his approach to training and recovery. On a humorous note, I'm glad to have caught him relatively early in his recovery when I could beat him up the Mt.  :) He's working hard and getting better and better. I wouldn't wish his injury or arthritis on anyone, but I do have to admit to the appreciation for health and recovery afforded by the experience.
See you on the road again, I hope,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat