+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Preop anxiety  (Read 14002 times)

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
Preop anxiety
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
For those who have gone before did you have preop jitters and if so what did you do about?

I am two weeks from my bilat surgery with Dr. Gross and I find myself anxiously visiting this site multiple times a day.   I almost feel a panic that I don't know enough to have the surgery and maybe the answers are hidden somewhere in posts on this forum.  However, I tend to avoid those sections about complications and bad outcomes. 

It seems as my surgery approaches, time is slowing down and my the pain and soreness are becoming worse. Probably the latter is because I have stopped the anti-inflammatory prior to surgery and Tylenol isn't as effective.   Only good thing about the greater pain is helping me to overcome the rising anxiety and not chicken out of the approaching surgery.  I don't think not having the HR is an option.

Alan/Denver
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

obxpelican

Re: Preop anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
Alan,

If you like you can email me privately or private message me here and I'll give you my phone number, I was operated on 8/6/08 of last year and I know of 3 other surface hippies who have agreed to help folks by phone.

Dr. Gross and his crew are awesome, I was never in more pain than I was on my worst day pre-op, a good one to follow on this now is Bionic's blog he was just done a short time ago and he is very descriptive about his journey.

You are in really good hands, believe me.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »
Hi Alan

You are in good company - many people have the pre op jitters.  Try to stay positive and don't go looking for the negative.  There is very little negative when you are using the top surgeons.  Sure it is major surgery, but you have the odds in your favor with Dr. Gross and team.

Spend your time planing on what you are going to be doing this summer.  Picture the new life you are about to have.  See yourself active and pain free!  Now that's something to spend a lot of time thinking about.  Plan some new things you have never done before to test those new hips out. 

New hips are not only physically life changing - but an emotionally positive gift since you will be happier than you have been in years. You will be getting a new lease on life.  You no longer have to worry about pain and what you can't do - you will be a "can do guy."

Normally, you can still take the meds like Darvocet or Vicoden before surgery. Why don't you ask Lee if you can take that and then get a prescription from your family doctor.  I was able to take Vicoden right up to the day before surgery since it is not a NSAID.  I looked like a traveling pharmacy when I flew to Belgium with my bag full of drugs!  I needed them on the 8 1/2 hour flight.

Remember what Lee once told me - you can't know all about the surgery since you are not a doctor.  We all get on those big jets and don't know how to fly, we have to put our faith in the pilot and plane.  Put your faith in Dr. Gross and Lee. You don't need to know anything about the surgery for it to be absolutely sucessful. 

Good Luck and start dreaming about what you can do - not what can go wrong! Our thoughts can make our reality, so go for the positive!

Pat

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:51:16 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »
Hi Alan,
I'm glad that my 1yr post gave you some encouragement. It's probably impossible to put yourself in a recovered perspective, but to the extent you can, it would probably help. As I recollect the anxieties and hassles both immediately before and after the resurfacing, it seems much less significant from my current perspective. For e.g., my surgeon's standard practice is to prescribe a course of lovenox blood thinner shots for 2 weeks after surgery. At the time, I recall the emotional hurdle - it didn't hurt bad, it was just a hassle - of the daily shot. Every day it was a big event - 7 days post-op; 1/2 done with the Lovenox, 12 days post-op, almost done. Now when I look back, it's like "no big deal, it was just 2 weeks of a little pin prick." After your successful surgery, you'll be riding your bike and enjoying an active life with no need for anti-inflammatory meds!
Good luck,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

nwugrad

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »
Alan,

Not to worry.  The morning of surgery goes fast.  They'll ask you questions. Discuss your anesthesia, usually a spinal plus an epidural and a twilight. They'll shave your hip area and wash down with bentodine.  Finally they'll put an IV in your hand.  Shortly after they'll roll you into the OR.  Once in the OR, you'll get onto the operating table.  THen they'll turn on the twilight via the IV and  you won't feel, hear of remember anything.  While you're in the twilight they'll administer the spinal and the epidural.  You won't know it until you wake up in the PACU, or Recovery Room.  When you first wake up you will feel no pain.  You may notice you have a few extra IVs in you for another 12 to 18 hours.  One IV in you arm is to monitor pressure, etc.. the other may be in your neck and is there in case you need blood.  I had a bi lat and didn't need any so don't fret over blood. 

When you wake up your legs may still be numb and you may not able to move them.  THe spinal will wear off over the next few hours.   During this entire time you will feel no pain and minimal discomfort, maybe some from the swelling.   They'll take the epidural out in 18 to 24 hours.  Before that narcotics will be metered out  and you will have a button to push if you need more.  This should be the least of your worries.  Even after the epidural is removed the oral meds work fine.  I was on Percoset.after the epidural.  At first you get two tablets every 3 hours or so.  While in the hospital you may wean down to one tablet every 4 hours or so.  By or shortly after discharge some people are down to Tylenol  Don't rush it though b/c you want to do your physical therapy exercises with out pain. 

While you may be on crutches for 3 to 4 weeks its primarly to keep weight off the hip.  It is not b/c you couldn't walk without them  That was my experiece and i had both hips at once. 
At 3.5 weeks out I was off the crutches and I walk anywhere I want to go.  I walk much more not than pre surgery.  Most important I walk with out pain.   

You can do physical therapy in the hospital and when you are discharged.  I went at PT a little earlier and harder than some suggest. Listen to your doctor.  My regimen worked for me though.  Now I can use the tredmill and I begin pool exercises this week. 

As a side note, the day following my surgery,shortly after I got into my hospital room from the PACU I called a friend that has not slept in his bed for two years b/c of two bad hips.  I told my friend to listen hard b/c I will probably never admit this again.   I said." I'm admitting to you that I am an idiot for not getting the surgery done three years ago.  I am also telling you that if you don't get it done real soon you are a fool."  My friend told me that he sent his xrays to Dr. Su last week.  I it makes you feel any better the surgery is a piece of cake, especially in comparison to the fears and anxiety that your mind is creating for you pre surgery.  I can say that b/c my mind tried doing that to me.

Please let us know how everything goes.  But meanwhile, don't fret this is going to be MUCH EASIER than you think.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:07:40 AM by nwugrad »

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »
Alan,
We all had pre-op jitters, it's normal.I stopped taking my anti-inflamatory 2 weeks prior to surgery and those two weeks were hard for me to get by as I was still working (construction) til the day before surgery.I got nervous three days before surgery but i was in such pain i kept thinking how good it will be to be pain free, and that is what i focused on.The morning of surgery I drove to San Diego, left my house at 4:50 in the morning so it was still dark, it is a hour drive to the hospital from where I live.As i was half way there an incredible shooting star went streaking by and somehow I just knew everything was going to be fine, from that moment on i was worry free.Just think of all the things you will be able to do again in just a few short months. Good luck.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Bionic

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
Alan,

The moment of truth is approaching.  I think it's natural and even essential to question everything as the surgery approaches.  After all, this is a voluntary decision on your part.  It's important that you get it right!

From my point of view, at almost 3 weeks post-op, I can say that I have no regrets.  I had an uneventful surgery and nearly uneventful recovery.  I feel perfectly healthy and people are astounded at my rapid progress.  I'm already feeling like my old self again and quickly forgetting all that awful arthritis pain.

My hip is still a little weak, but it feels perfectly natural.  It's actually hard for me to believe that the surgery was done and it's finished.  But the lack of pain, weakness in my hip, and, oh yeah, the incision, convince me that this really happened.

I've been walking 1 or 2 miles each day during the last week.  I could not have done that before surgery.  No way!  And what a pleasure it is to be out walking with the birds chirping and the trees and even a little snow here and there.  It's a thrill to be standing on my own 2 feet and actually to be able to rely on them to get me from here to there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:32:42 AM by Bionic »
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

stevel

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »
Alan,

I was relieved to finally reach the pre-op room, where I was prepared for surgery.  Another patient shared the room and was actually smiling before her opposite knee replacement surgery.  Think positive as you will be getting rid of some crud and will wake up with new parts and the arthritic joint pain will be gone.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

karenj_m

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
Hey Alan:
We all definitely felt this way...you can see my preop jitter posting on the Yahoo surface board.. :)

What worked for me is that I waited over 20 years to "hope" they would come out with something besides a THR, and was excited about resurfacing.

To help, I watched Dr. Gross' surgery video on his site....I looked at a lot of complicated cases on Dr. Bose's (India) website = xrays there. I flooded my brain with some much of it and the steps pre-surgery off of Dr. Gross' website...

Then I finally met Dr. Gross and Lee Webb in person (the day before surgery)...and all my anxiety went "poooof"! I remember Dr. Gross saying do you have any questions, and I said nope! I know you're going to fix me...and then I was fine...

Think (and of course, feel) the pain you deal with now? Well its all going to go bye-bye ;)

When its all healed, and your restrictions are lifted....you will be like a re-born!

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

hipshot

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:01:04 PM »
Alan

If you don't have any  anxiety before your surgery you are most likely brain
dead.
You have just recieved some great advice from the surface hippi's on this site and you have taken the first step and posted your concerns.
My advice is to pick up the phone and call or pm one of these people who
have offered to talk.
We all have been in your shoes and we know how your gonna feel when its over.
Remeber this side of the surgery is much better than the side your on.
We are all here cheering for you.
Hipshot

FYI
I am a Dr.Bose Patient and am 5 weeks post op and am back to work full time and am having the time of my life. ( I am also willing talk at any time.)

JeanM

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »
Alan,
I'm 6 mos post-op and I'm completely thrilled with the results of my surgery with Dr. Gross.  I could not be more pleased!

Stay focused and follow through with it.  I bet you'll be happy you did.

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

uberalan

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive and encouraging words.  I have reread your post three or four times and am feeling much better about what is ahead.  I have also sent my wife the link to this thread.  I know she'll be so glad to have me back to normal and not the continuous old grouch who is the big party pooper and  unable to do all the things we used to take for granted.

She keeps telling her friends she can't wait for me to be fixed.  Wish she wouldn't put it quite like that since it cause both me and the dog to cringe.  :D

A couple of folks sent me there phone numbers and encouraged me to call and talk.  This is such a great support forum.

Thank you once  again.

Alan
Alan/Denver, CO

nwugrad

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:39:19 AM »
Alan,

Any time.  I understand your feelings re: your wife's remarks.  My wife and 13 y.o. son were saying almost the same things as your wife.   Now my son just asks when I can play basketball again, so he can beat me without the excuse of my bad hips.

Contact me anytime you want off line.   

Best of luck!

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:14:28 AM »

A couple of folks sent me there phone numbers and encouraged me to call and talk.  This is such a great support forum.

Thank you once  again.

Alan

This is the greatest forum for surface hippies in the world!!!!   No other forum comes close!   And of course Dr. Gross is the bestest hippie surgeon in the world too.   ;D  Right SteveL?   ;D  <JK>

If you feel the need Alan, go ahead and drop the quarter and call us.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
Dr. Su gets the gold medal since he successfully did my surgery.

This discussion group gets the gold medal.  Since I signed on last July, I have gleaned tons of information to allow me to be at this point in my recovery.  I have lately been hashing my return to impact sports.  What else is there, except to share my success with expectant or newly recovering surface hippies?
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

landaq007

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »
Hey Alan, I believe these surface hippy veterans have covered about everything I could.  I will say I had the pre-game jitters but the pain had gotten so bad -- like yours -- when I had stopped the meds that I was ready for some relief.   Most anxiety I had was prior to going into the hospital.  Once I got into the robe I was well taken care of like these other guys described. I agree with what Pat said "You are in good company - many people have the pre op jitters.  Try to stay positive and don't go looking for the negative.  There is very little negative when you are using the top surgeons. "  ... and I believe you have picked one of the top guys in the world!  Let me know if I can help with anything.
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

rossplanner

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
Many thanks for all the encouraging thoughts. I'm going in for a right hip resurfacing with Dr. Malchau at Mass General in Boston on Tuesday (March 10), so I appreciate the positive comments from the veterans. So much of the anxiety can be overcome with the right attitude and support. Thanks again and I'll see you on the other side!

Ross

uberalan

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »
Again, thanks for the encoruaging posts.

The good thing was this past week was really busy and the bad thing is that this past week was really busy.

It good because I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about what lies ahead of me in SC.

It was bad in that I traveled to Dallas for factory acceptance test on Monday and Tuesday and suffered all the "creature comforts" of an airline economy class seat, terrible hotel bed and lots of walking and being on my feet and all with only ES Tylenol. 

Pat, thanks for the suggestion to call Lee Webb and ask for a prescription for the pain.  She had Dr. Gross prescribe some Celebrex, but unfortunately it took until the end of the week to actually get the meds.  For me, Celebrex and other anti-inflammation drugs are effective and while under their influence, I sometime question if I really need the hip resurfacing.  However, they longer you are on them, the more dire the adverse side effects can become.  So experience life with two bad hips and only Tylenol for relief confirms I am doing the right thing.

The rest of my week seemed to go quickly as I was trying to get everything in order to turn my responsibilities over to my coworkers.  I was in so much discomfort by of the day and just down right exhausted from the pain, I came home and crashed into my recliner and got nothing else done.

This is my last weekend at home before leaving for SC on Thursday and seems so much to do to have everything ready for my return and recovery.

Alan/Denver
Soon to be Gross Hippy R(3/16) & L(3/19)
Alan/Denver, CO

wayne-0

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »
Alan,
What lies ahead for you should be excitement that the pain you now suffer will be gone and you will have a brand new lease on life. Four months post op and I hardly even think that I've had surgery cause everything feels so normal now ;D ;D ;D. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wayne

P.S. Enjoy the time off after surgery because before you know it the grind of everyday life will be back.
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

dvander

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »
Alan,

Another "Go for it!"  The pre-op double-think is normal.  I am 4 months post-op and was out to eat today.  Also at the restaurant was my primary physician who took out my staples (I live 2.5 hours away from surgery site).  As I walked by his table and greeted him, he said, "You are doing well."  I was taken back - ah, of course, why wouldn't I be?  Then he said, "I can't tell any limp and you move so smoothly." It then registered and I remembered I had had surgery.  I told him I was so glad I had the procedure.............I was going home and cut the grass and yesterday, I biked back and forth to work.  What a wonderful thing to kiss arthritis good-bye! 

Again, Go for it!!!!

Dwight V

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat