+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Months Post-Op Update - Snowboarding & Cycling Again!!  (Read 1575 times)

JeanM

6 Months Post-Op Update - Snowboarding & Cycling Again!!
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »
I finally hit 6 months post-op on Friday!  Woohoo!  Right after my surgery, I think I remember writing a post saying that I wouldn't snowboard until next season.  Well, that went out the window on Saturday.  I rode a half day at Park City on easy blue groomers.  No problem at all.  My hip felt great!  I was amazed at how responsive my hip was and there was absolutely not one twinge of pain.  Afterward, I felt great!  Prior to surgery, I could barely walk after snowboarding despite painkillers.  Amazing! 

The weekend before, I rode 32 miles on my road bike on Saturday (yes, I cheated by a week).  That was probably a bit much for my first ride.  But, my hip felt great cycling too!  When I stood up on my pedals to sprint up a short climb, it felt smooth and strong.  Last year, when I stood up on my pedals, my hip felt crumbly, weak and unstable. 

I'm so grateful for this surgery! 

Thanks to Pat and everyone who contributes to this forum!   . . . Oh, and Dr. Gross too!

Jeanie

Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
Re: 6 Months Post-Op Update - Snowboarding & Cycling Again!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
Jeanie,

Congratulations on a great recovery.  Are you worried about falling and knocking something out of place with the hip?

I guess over the last year I have become so use to stepping wrong or twisting too far and receiving a double helping of hip pain as a reward that I  have a hard time imagining skiing again.

Wishing you a continued recovery.  With my surgery in a couple of weeks may be Icould being skiing next spring.

Alan
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »
Aloha Jeanie,

Glad to hear you went...
Not sure if you know me or my posts(kite surfer), but I went too..at 3 months, and so far so good!  Its been 3 weeks since I went, and I feel so good getting my addrenaline that that alone made it worth it to do what I did, so glad to hear you did it and it felt good.  For me to post, keep it smart and safe, live life and let those things that make you happy happen.  I am not any ones doctor, but to me I read in it as "use it, but use it at a pace that your comfortable with".  I got out of this forum and the research that if your muscles feel ready-your bone is ready too, its your muscles that need to be able to support what was done to all of us, and I know that that implant is hardy and stable, and I know my muscles were ready, so proud to say, "I went!"  Cudo's to you that you got to go this season and not having to wait till next year, you will get stronger through the rest of the year too..  Its been very windy here for the last weeks, gone plenty, going hard, holding back less and less and now I just at 4 months tomorrow.  My doctor saw me doing what I do and was very pleased to see me going at it, no pains from kite surfing at all.  I have been putting my body in narly situations with less fear day after day.  My jumping has been getting higher and higher, my turns faster and harder, and I am running on the beach when I would of taken my time previously.  NO PAIN!  I imagine what is going on in my hip, its got metal in there, can't hurt that, the bone is healed or healing...and my muscles the same.  So thank you for your post and going for it and sharing, hope you don't mind me yes bragging too, I went and it feels good.

Not trying to tell those to not listen to your doctor's orders, but to keep in mind that around the corner from surgery is the passion that you all love to do, when ready, you will know, you will take it easy your first few times, then confidence kicks in and you start to live your normal love of passion..a great feeling!

Eric  8)

stevel

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »
Hi Jeanie,

Congratulations on your return to snowboarding.  I am also planning on skiing at the end of this month when I will be 6 months post-op.  I am using the "Fitter" which is a ski conditioning machine in preparation for my return.  Hopefully there will be corn or sugar and not much slush during my return.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM