+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Help and Advice on Location/Doctors  (Read 1263 times)

michaelcantelon

Help and Advice on Location/Doctors
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
Hello All, New to this board.  36 year old Male Phys Ed teacher Canadian Living in Kuwait.  Diagnosed last year with Osteoarthritis in Hip.  Told by doctor here to have Total Hip replacement or resurfacing.  After researching and many discussions I want to have the resurfacing done.  Problem: Kuwait does not perform this surgery.  I have Health Care that will cover this worldwide (Except USA) from my school.  I have found a doctor in Hamilton, Ontario who performs resurfacing (DR. Frank Smith, over 120 operations).  This would be best for me as it is relatively close to my summer home.  Problem: hard to get a hold of Doctor and get the bureaucracy going from Kuwait.  My questions are: As it is covered by my health care should I go with someone more experienced (like Dr  De Smet or any of the other big names)  If I could get the surgery in Ontario, Canada I would have more support from family/friends whereas Europe it would be just me until I made it back to Canada.  How long would I be in bed after surgery?  How long before I could return to Canada?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tekka

Re: Help and Advice on Location/Doctors
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:05 PM »
HI Michael,

You will gets lots of advice from this site, many people travel to Europe and India in search of the best doctor for them. A re-surfacing is a major operation and I would want the very best outcome possible, it's difficult because a doctor has to gain experience and that can only be acheived by doing operations...re-surfacing is a technical procedure and has a very steep learning curve, personaly I would want the doctor to have had as much experience as possible, I know from reading other hippies on this site they have made the whole experience of travel part of the re-surf journey.

With reference to how soon you get out of bed...usually next day after the operation, the nursing staff and pt people are keen on getting you mobile as soon as possible,we all vary with the timescale for when we are discharged, I was able to go home after four days but I think that would be different if you travel long haul, I was fortunate to be local to my surgeon.

You are young you to have these issues, I am only 43, but I am now six weeks post op and pain free for the first time in years..I wish I had had the operation at least two/three years earlier.

The one thing this site always bangs on about is....the surgeon is the key to the best possible outcome, and they are so right mate....search!!

Good luck and keep us posted with your journey.

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

karenj_m

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »
Hey Michael:
If you have the option to go to Dr  De Smet ==== go! The UK surgeons have the MOST experience, because it was there for a longer time, than here in the US.

Dr. De Smet has a rehab villa, and will not let you leave for long travel until he feels your ready.

There are patients who's stories are posted on the this site that you can contact about recovery time with Dr  De Smet.

That's just my two cents worth.... :)

We are all here for you, just ask any questions.

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:42:22 AM »
Hey Michael,  If you have to get on a plane and fly to get your hip done, I vote fly to one of the most experienced Dr.'s in the world, just my opinion. Why fly to a guy thats done 120 if you can fly to a guy thats done 1200 plus.  Proper instalation is the most important part of a long lasting trouble free implant. Get it out of your head where the easiest place to get it done is, the surgery is no damn fun at all no matter where you go, so you might as well go somewhere where you will have the most experienced doctors.  Think long term and good luck to you, Bill
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:45:03 AM by B.I.L.L. »

michaelcantelon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  I will have my unilateral hip resurfacing done in Belgium with Dr. De Smet this June.  I will keep you posted on my progress. 

Jed

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Michael, I had to fly from Nova Scotia to get mine done. Went to Montreal. 5 days in hosptal and 5 in a hotel, until I got my staples out. Eveything fine. I think Frank Smith in Hamilton has done a lot more than 120. I have heard good reports about him. But Belgium is closer to Kuwait and they make better beer!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats