+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for Doctor in Virginia  (Read 2958 times)

shenderson

Looking for Doctor in Virginia
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:19:18 PM »
I have plans to go to Dr. DeSmet in Belgium but am having second thoughts.  Has anyone out there had a resurfacing in Virginia that was successful?  I have researched and found that very few doctors have experience with resurfacing here in Virginia.  I must stay in VA because of insurance.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Looking for Doctor in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:14:39 PM »
Hi

Why are you having second thoughts about De Smet?  He is absolutely one of the best in the world.  Usually the more experineced the doctor, the quicker your recovery.  I think their surgery technique often helps how quick you recover.  Not always, but often. As you read the posts of hundreds of people on the large Yahoo Surface Hippy Group you can always know most of the De Smet hippies and Bose hippies recovery pretty quickly compared to the conservative, newer US hip resurfacing doctors.

I was with 8 people in Belgium and we all had great, quick recoveries.  We spent 8 days together after surgery and could easily see how everyone else was doing.

There is one doctor in VA that some people have used:

Dr. C. Anderson Engh
62 Hip Resurfacings to date
The Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic
2445 Army Navy Drive
Arlington VA 22206
Phone (703) 892-6500
FAX (703) 892-1550
Website

As you can see, he doesn't have the experience of Dr. De Smet having done over 2400 hip resurfacings., but many people seem to like him.

Hip resurfacing takes a lot of skill and experience - you can't do better than De Smet.  What are you having second thoughts about?

Been there and done that - 18 months ago.  Perhaps I can help you.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

shenderson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »
I am having second thoughts because it is a long way to go for a major surgery.  I talked to Dr. Eng's secretary and she said that he has done resusrfacings but has only done about 30 Birminhams.  I guess it's my last minute panic about leaving the country.  From what I have read on this site, we can't go wrong with Dr. Desmet.  Wish me luck, I am scheduled for November 6th.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:40:50 PM »
Maybe you should join the other Yahoo surface hippy group and talk with more De Smet hippies. There are hundreds of them.  Actually there are 30 alone in Madison WI.  Everyone talks to others and a large group have ended up De Smet Hippies!

Personally, I would be afraid NOT to go to Belgium and have surgery.  I would not trust any other surgeon to do my other hip.  I know Dr. Gross of SC and Dr. Bose of India are very good, but I would get right back on a plane to Belgium if I had any problems. I would even go back if I needed a revision to a thr.

If hip resurfacings and thrs are not done right - you end up with problems.  The better the doctor, the less problems.

That lady that just had her cup slipped is now the second for that doctor.  One other doctor had 2 patients with slipped cups. Both were posting at the same time on the other board.

Do you have someone traveling with you?? If you do, that will be a comfort.  It is a most wonderful experience to visit Belgium.  I don't know anyone who hasn't just loved it and wished they had stayed longer.  There are a lot of stories on my website. People just love staying at the Villa.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn since there wasn't a Villa yet.

I felt comfort knowing I was heading to one of the best in the whole world and I could afford him just by using a credit card. 

Did you read my book?  did you read the other De Smet hippy stories?  They are all very comforting and full of info.  When I started to read stories, I just couldn't wait to get to Belgium and get my new BHR.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

KFla

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:53 PM »
What about Dr. Mont in Baltimore?  I believe he has done close to 1,000 of these procedures.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:22:58 PM »
Dr. Mont is another excellent and experienced surgeon. Check out his long video  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacinginfo.php  It was a presentation to a group of surface hippies and wanna bee hippies.

There are a handful of personal hip resurfacing stories here for Dr. Mont patients http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat