+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Uber Alan's Bilateral Hip Story: Dr. Gross - Right (3/16/09) and Left (3/19/09)  (Read 21951 times)

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
The purpose of starting this thread is to document my recovery and hopefully ultimate success of bilateral resurfacing surgery performed by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb on my right hip 3/16/2009 for the right and 3/19/2009 on the left.

A little bit about me.  I just turned 56 years old and am by no means a fitness model (and probably somewhat embarrassed about how little I have to show for how much I have worked out :'(, but I have been physically active most of my life with running, biking, swimming, skiing, hiking, yoga and weight lifting.  Well up until about a year ago, when my left hip suddenly became as sore as my right hip, which had become sore and stiff about seven years ago. I was able to compensate and refused to let it slow me down, but now every form of physical activity now hurts.  I have become increasing less physically active with each passing month.  I have delayed getting treatment this past year while relocating our household from the Washington D.C. area to Colorado.  Maybe this delay has played in my favor.

Last February with my rapidly deteriorating hips, I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he diagnosed moderate OA in my right hip and slight OA in my left.  He advised that someday when the pay became intolerable I would need an THR, but I should put that off as long as possible.  I had heard something about "resurfacing" and ask him about it.  He said it was pretty knew and he saw no benefits over the THR.

By October, we were living in temporary quarters waiting for our new house to be finished and the pain had continued to get worse.  I made an appointment with a Denver OS and his conclusion was I had severe OA in the right hip and moderate in the left.  He had done resurfacing but told me I was a poor candidate for the procedure and he was only 50% confident that he could do the resurfacing and would know until the surgery was begun.  He also wanted to wait at least three months between hips.  I went ahead a rather hesitantly scheduled surgery for the middle of December.

The more I thought about it the more I didn't like those odds.  This web site lead me to send my xrays to Dr. Gross and within a couple of days Lee Webb emailed me saying I was an excellent candidate for resurfacing.  Dr. Gross called me on the phone and spent about 40 minutes discussing the operation.  He suspected there was more bone on bone contact happening in my left hip than the X-rays indicated and said he could take care of both hips on the same trip to Columbia, SC.  My recovery might be slightly longer, but once done I'd be pain free and not facing another operation and recovery. The pace and responsibilities of my project manager's job make it very difficult to be away from work and extended period, and my wife is a school teacher and it is hard for her to be gone, so doing both hips during one trip was very appealing. 

I scheduled the operation for the middle of March the week before my wife's spring break, so she could be with me for the operations in SC and then have the next week to be my nurse at home.   Dr Gross operated on my right hip on Monday (3/16/09) and my left hip on Thursday (3/19/09).  I was discharged from the hospital on Saturday (3/21/09) and we flew home to Denver on Sunday (3/22/09).

So the posts that follows chronicles my recovery from the bilateral hip resurfacing surgeries.   Please feel free to ask questions and make comments.
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

uberalan

March 23, 2009:  Post Op Day 7 (right) Day 4 (Left)

My first full day home and my worst day of this experience so far!  http://[i]Swelling and pain and questioning my own intelligence[/i].    I did my twice per day PT exercises and walked on crutches about 400' each time.  My right leg is sorer than my left and is noticeably the more swollen of the two.  Seems to be to types of pain happening.  The first is an incredibly tight/twisted knot of muscles, almost like a constant muscle cramp.  The underlying  muscles are sore to the touch.  My intuition tells me this tightness will get better with time.   Funny thing is in different spots on the two legs: on the outside of my leg above my right knee, but on the left about mid thigh.   

The other type of pain is far more frightening.  It is a sharp stabbing pain from deep in the groin and hip joint itself.   When it happens, I immediately panic, fearing that I just fractured the neck of the femur.  Fortunately it does last long.  I guess I adjust to it when it happens.

Chuck is entitled to an "I told you so!,"  but part of my discomfort may have been trying to be a "hero" and avoid the heavy duty pain killers.  I have read several post from other of Dr. Gross patients stating they didn't need anything but Tylenol after leaving the hospital.   I didn't think I needed the vicodin.  I decided I would not play "hero" tomorrow, use the drugs before the PT and hope things improve.
Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

March 24, 2009:  Post Op Day 8 (right) Day 5 (Left)

Today was much better than yesterday, despite a fitful night full of self doubt.  I arose feeling better than the day before. I took a long hot shower and worked on all the areas of residual adhesive tape from the hospital.  The shower was wonderful.   I felt good enough to sit a couple of hours in front of my desktop computer catching up on email.  Before the morning PT exercise, I took a Vicodin and my morning walk was slow and probably about 600'.  The air was crisp and the view of the fresh snow covered Front Range was inspiring.  No comparison to how bad I felt on Monday. The swelling in the right leg is decreasing and the muscle pain doesn't seem as intense.  I did put on the polar packs and took a little nap courtesy of the drugs. 

Afternoon PT exercise seemed easier than this morning and some of the muscle stiffness seems to be easing.  I increased my distance to about 800' with some of it being up hill.  I had a couple of those "joint jolts" during the walk, but decided I probably haven't really fractured anything and perhaps they were part of the healing process.

Overall a much better day and a much better attitude.
Alan/Denver, CO

John C

I will throw in my two cents worth about the importance of not being afraid to use pain pills at your point in the process. Unnecessary pain can affect your sleep, attitude, rehab, and therefore your recovery. I too dealt with the issues of reading the reports of people only needing Tylenol, and as a fellow Gross hippy, I can report that Tylenol was not enough for me for awhile. If you are concerned about using opiate pain killers, I did call the office, and they prescribed an alternative that worked great during that transition healing period. The "no pain" stories are inspirational, but you should also know that some of us that had significant early pain and slower initial recoveries, have still had very happy endings (since the six month point, I have been skiing very hard for eight hours every day, plus going for a long daily walks, and then following that up with daily workouts, for the past three months :)).
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

Alan,

Welcome to the land of "monkey fist" it's a world where you go for about 10 days or so of feeling that constant cramp.

Soon, maybe a few days you will make the "turn" and you'll be headed for the finish line.  Give yourself time to heal, relax, sleep a lot but when you are up stay moving as much as your body will alow.  One thing, I was VERY tired the first 10-14 days.

If you fractured your femoral head you would know it for sure from what I read, lots of us got twinges the first few weeks.  I got a really bad pain if I moved in bed the wrong way on the outside of my knee.

Chuck

March 23, 2009:  Post Op Day 7 (right) Day 4 (Left)

My first full day home and my worst day of this experience so far!  http://[i]Swelling and pain and questioning my own intelligence[/i].    I did my twice per day PT exercises and walked on crutches about 400' each time.  My right leg is sorer than my left and is noticeably the more swollen of the two.  Seems to be to types of pain happening.  The first is an incredibly tight/twisted knot of muscles, almost like a constant muscle cramp.  The underlying  muscles are sore to the touch.  My intuition tells me this tightness will get better with time.   Funny thing is in different spots on the two legs: on the outside of my leg above my right knee, but on the left about mid thigh.   

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

uberalan

Thanks John and Chuck for you comments.  I have been taking the pain meds before doing my PT and daily walks.  The "monkey fists" must just be part of the healing processes and I know will eventually go away, unlike the OA pain, which would on get worse had I not done something.

Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

March 25, 2009:  Post Op Day 9 (right) Day 6 (Left)

Today was a break through day!   ;D

I discovered I could "walk" using my crutches (i.e. Right crutch forward with left leg forward alternating with left crutch with right leg forward).  This was so much easier than moving both crutches forward simultaneously.  This feels so natural and my wife commented that I was "walking" with no detectable limp.  :D

It was also a very mild and beautiful day in Colorado and I was so pumped that I went double the distance from the day before (probably about a 1/4 mile) with this new form of walking.  I went again that afternoon and increased the distance by another block or so.  That evening,  I even had enough energy left to attend as small group meeting in our neighborhood, where I sat for a couple of hours in a straight back chair.

Assessment:  I am clearly on the road to recovery!

March 25, 2009:  Post Op Day 10 (Right) Day 7 (Left)

Blizzard day in Colorado and my bodies tells me I have over done it!   I awoke with a different feeling in my legs.  The "monkey's fist" was still there and painful, but my legs felt dead.  Overall, I felt hung-over and out of sorts.  Just moving about the house caused my legs to tire quickly.  I had felt this way years before when I was a runner on the day after a road race.  So with the blizzard raging outside, I decided to take the day off and didn't even make it to the computer to post.  I need to learn to pace my recovery.

We did pull the "super seal" bandage off the right hip incision.  My scar is about 4" long and it is not very pretty.  Dr. Gross uses cement to seal the wound instead on stitches or staples.  It will be interesting to see how it "cures out."

Assessment:  It is easy to over do it on the road to recovery!
Alan/Denver, CO

landaq007

It is good to hear your progress.  It is understandable how the frustration level can get sometimes in those first couple of weeks.  For me being dependent on someone else for driving was probably the most frustrating. After a little time passes it will be back to mowing the lawn though-- like Chuck says.  I have been out getting my lawn equipment in shape.  I just have to be careful not to forget the surgery I just had in February!... strange as that may seem.  What were once those nasty looking scars have become sealed up to thin strips and the puffy topography around each slice has leveled back down to flat and tight.  Like so many have said, looking back I believe it is the high expectancy and positive attitude that keeps you optimistic through the first weeks -- along with continually reading this website ;D
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

uberalan

Tim,

Glad to hear your continuing to make progress in your recovery.  Good to hear the incisions will eventually look better.  We removed the super sealant bandage on the left hip this morning.  Now I have a matched set.  If you don't like the view, never tell a bilateral surface hippy to "turn the other cheek."  ::)

I would like to see you post an update to your post in bilateral stories about the significant events that you have experienced since your previous post.  Always good to know what to expect next.

Alan
Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

Attached is an x-ray of my new hips.

Alan/Denver, CO

karenj_m

hey Alan...remember to pace yourself - you had both legs done which really must be wearing you down....

It will all come together, don't worry, it's not a race.

You're body's going crazy trying to repair both hip surgeries, so its going to be important for you to eat well and rest. You will feel tired alot...like wiped out...this is normal.

Pace yourself....and don't forget "ice is your friend"
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

obxpelican

I am inviting Alan out to Pgh to cut my grass this Summer  ;D

I am so glad that Alan has a surface hippy to compare notes with.   Thanks so much for paying it forward to Alan.

Like I always say this is the best hippy support site in the world......maybe the universe.

Chuck

It is good to hear your progress.  It is understandable how the frustration level can get sometimes in those first couple of weeks.  For me being dependent on someone else for driving was probably the most frustrating. After a little time passes it will be back to mowing the lawn though-- like Chuck says.  I have been out getting my lawn equipment in shape.  I just have to be careful not to forget the surgery I just had in February!... strange as that may seem.  What were once those nasty looking scars have become sealed up to thin strips and the puffy topography around each slice has leveled back down to flat and tight.  Like so many have said, looking back I believe it is the high expectancy and positive attitude that keeps you optimistic through the first weeks -- along with continually reading this website ;D
Chuck
8-6-08

tedroberts

Alan, I had bilateral hip resurfacing (bhr) on 1-7-09 (4 hour surgery).  I didn't want to miss two seasons of sports by
splitting the surgeries even though my left hip felt better than the right.  After the surgery Dr. Nelson said that my left
hip was actually tighter than my right even though it felt better and had better range of motion.

I agree with the others that ice and pain medication are your friends.  I think I have had an average recovery so far.  I used about 125 oxycodone 5/325 MG (Percocet) tablets before I could wean myself.  Last place I needed them was at
work sitting at my desk/computer.

I was cleared to drive at my two week check up.  I could only do it because my right leg was stronger and more "mobile"
than the left.  To start I only drove to work since it hurt to sit and drive.

We rented a hospital bed which I slept in for about 3 weeks after I got home from the hospital which I stayed in 4 nights.   This gave me more comfort at night because I could easily change my position since I could only sleep on my back and since it was in the living room it kept my snoring from waking my wife.  I also used the hospital bed as my PT area until I could do my standing PT excersises.

I would recommend out patient PT after 6 weeks or so.  It has really helped me a lot.

I am just now at the point where my endurance is coming back.  I went back to work after two weeks but at first it was
tough to make it through a day.  I had more than a few short or half days.  I would often retreat home to my recliner where sitting was a lot more comfortable.  Healing both hips and incisions takes a lot out of you.  If I had to do this over again I would arrange for a recliner at work! 

Ted Roberts, Minneapolis, MN
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Todd

Hi Ted. 

I had my left hip done by Dr. Palmer-Stillwater on 1/7/09, and will do the right on 5/6/09.  I'm looking forward to the second surgery since I have seen huge improvements with ROM and flexibility with the first.  I've still got a way to go before being fully healed, but so far so good.  Where did you have surgery with Dr. Nelson?  I live near Duluth, and decided to go with Dr. Palmer after some research.
todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

uberalan

Karen,

Sometime it is easy to forget that this is major surgery.  The Colorado blizzard forced me to cool my pace with another day of rest on Friday.  I spent most of the day at the computer and talking to mortgage companies about refinancing my house.  By late afternoon both feet, ankles and calves were swelling.  I had had swelling of my right leg on the plane ride home last Sunday and thought I was passed the swelling stage.

So I spent the evening with my two new best friends, Polar 300 Ice machines,  ;) wrapped around my legs and slept with my legs elevated on two rows of pillows.  By this morning the swelling had gone down.

So I wonder if the swelling was due to "over doing it" on Wednesday or from the surgery a week ago?

hey Alan...remember to pace yourself - you had both legs done which really must be wearing you down....

It will all come together, don't worry, it's not a race.

You're body's going crazy trying to repair both hip surgeries, so its going to be important for you to eat well and rest. You will feel tired alot...like wiped out...this is normal.

Pace yourself....and don't forget "ice is your friend"

Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

Chuck,

I agree.  If not the universe, at least within the galaxy.   ;)  What is so amazing thing about this web site is being able to conversing with someone who had just had the same procedure performed by the same Doctor.   Tim has been great to share his experience with me.

I am inviting Alan out to Pgh to cut my grass this Summer  ;D

I am so glad that Alan has a surface hippy to compare notes with.   Thanks so much for paying it forward to Alan.

Like I always say this is the best hippy support site in the world......maybe the universe.

Chuck

Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

Ted,

Thanks for posting your experience.  I am sure that I'll be glad to have had both hips done last week and not be just half fixed, still have bone on bone pain and having to keep the physical activities of my life on hold another six months.

In retrospect, I wished I had rented a hospital bar with a trapeze.  I have been sleeping in my recliner. (I would love having the recliner at work and perhaps forgetting to take it home, but I am a government worker and that could be perceived really bad  :-[.)  I slept in bed with my wife for the first time since being home last night.  I know my snoring and the accompanying noise from my effort to get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night must be robbing her of a lot of sleep.  She goes back to work next week.

I am such a light sleeper, that I use to not be able to sleep on my back, because as soon as I fell asleep, Iwould begin snoring and my own snoring would wake me up.  However, in the last couple of months before the hip surgery, the OA pain from laying on my side and turning over to the other side became so unbearable, I moved to sleeping in the recline and somehow learned to fall asleep despite my own snoring.   While in the hospital and after coming home, I find myself awaking with my mouth and throat totally dried out and all stuck together.  What a terrible feeling.

Yesterday for the first time, I tried lying on my sides in bed.  It was scary.  I worried about breaking something loose even though the hospital discharge instructions said there were no restrictions on sleeping position.  It was very uncomfortable and there is noway I could sleep in that position.  It felt like I was lying on top of a hardball under my hip.

So in support of the staggered bilateral surgeries at least you would have more choices for sleeping positions.

I am planning to be away from the office for six weeks, but hope to start doing some work via telecommuting next week.  My transportation is a sports car, which is too low slung and a manual shift transmission to make driving practical with the bilateral.

Best wishes for your continued successful recovery.

Alan, I had bilateral hip resurfacing (bhr) on 1-7-09 (4 hour surgery).  I didn't want to miss two seasons of sports by
splitting the surgeries even though my left hip felt better than the right.  After the surgery Dr. Nelson said that my left
hip was actually tighter than my right even though it felt better and had better range of motion.

I agree with the others that ice and pain medication are your friends.  I think I have had an average recovery so far.  I used about 125 oxycodone 5/325 MG (Percocet) tablets before I could wean myself.  Last place I needed them was at
work sitting at my desk/computer.

I was cleared to drive at my two week check up.  I could only do it because my right leg was stronger and more "mobile"
than the left.  To start I only drove to work since it hurt to sit and drive.

We rented a hospital bed which I slept in for about 3 weeks after I got home from the hospital which I stayed in 4 nights.   This gave me more comfort at night because I could easily change my position since I could only sleep on my back and since it was in the living room it kept my snoring from waking my wife.  I also used the hospital bed as my PT area until I could do my standing PT excersises.

I would recommend out patient PT after 6 weeks or so.  It has really helped me a lot.

I am just now at the point where my endurance is coming back.  I went back to work after two weeks but at first it was
tough to make it through a day.  I had more than a few short or half days.  I would often retreat home to my recliner where sitting was a lot more comfortable.  Healing both hips and incisions takes a lot out of you.  If I had to do this over again I would arrange for a recliner at work! 

Ted Roberts, Minneapolis, MN

Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

March 27, 2009:  Post Op Day 11 (right) Day 8 (Left)

Given the snow packed sidewalks and streets from yesterday's blizzard, I decided to take another "easy day" to continue my recovery from over doing things on Wednesday.  Today we removed the dressing from the left hip and it too was a 4" long incision.  Also tried lying on my sides in bed for the first time since the surgery.  Scary rolling on to my side and very uncomfortable lying on my side.  It feels like I am lying on top of a hardball under my hip.  No way I could sleep that way.

By late afternoon, I noticed both my feet, ankles and calves had become badly swollen.  Last Sunday while traveling home on the plane my right leg really became badly swollen. I thought I was passed the swelling stage.  So iced and elevated all evening and by this morning the swelling had gone down.

Question for other hippies:  Did you continue to have bouts of swelling during your recovery.
Alan/Denver, CO

uberalan

March 28, 2009:  Post Op Day 12 (right) Day 9 (Left)

Yesterday's swelling has reduced significantly and the snow has melted enough to go for a walk.  I walk about 1/4 mile on crutches with only minor discomfort toward the end of my circular path, which is up hill.  I began consciously trying to reduce the weight I putting on the crutches.

For the first time, I feel stable enough to shuffle around without the crutches in the house.  One amazing discovery is while sitting I can spread my knees further apart than I could pre-surgery and when I bring them back together.  My in-laws arrive to stay with me next week while my wife returns from work.  They are amazed that I answer the door without crutches and question.

I apply the Polar 300's and take a Vicodin during the afternoon when I feel some discomfort and a little swelling in the ankles.

I sleep the entire night in bed with my wife and briefly try rolling over on to my right side.  Too much discomfort lying on my side for more than just a few minutes.  I make a mental note to ask Dr. Gross if he and Lee were playing pool during my operation and lost the Q BALL.  I have perfected my technique somewhat in getting in and out of bed without making too much noise.

March 29, 2009:  Post Op Day 13 (right) Day 10 (Left)

This is the magical tenth day after the last surgery where so many patients report feeling a net gain in their recovery.  I am feeling very good and my morning walk with my father-in-law is about 300' further than yesterday. 

During the walk I pass a neighbor who was speaking to some friends sitting in a car in her drive way and she asks, "What happened to you?" I start explaining and suddenly a man jumps out of the car and runs over to me.  He smiles and said "This is what you can look forward to being able to do in about three months."  He had a THR three months ago and I was impressed with his spryness.  I tried to explain that I had had resurfacing instead of a THR and he said he had never heard of resurfacing. 

I still have pain and discomfort when I first stand up after sitting for any length of time.  I definitely feel my right leg is ahead of my left in recovery.  I plan to do a second walk to equal length before supper.

It will be nice when the snow completely melts and I can have access to the numerous cross country paved trails in our neighborhood, but alas another snow storm is forecast for this evening and Monday for the Front Range.
Alan/Denver, CO

obxpelican

Alan,

Good job shuffling around without the stix, that's great news because that means walking without the stix will be soon.  After a while those stix just get in the way anyhow.

When can you stop by to see my lawn?   ;D

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz