+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eleven days to go  (Read 4189 times)

jhd

Eleven days to go
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
Dr. Gross will be repairing my hip soon.  Pat, this website has been critical to my decision making and I thank you very much.  Now, I am learning from those who have already had their hips repaired, and it sounds so good...thank you.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Eleven days to go
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »
Hi JHD

Glad the website was helpful.  Actually it is all the people on the website that really help since they send me their stories to post and they talk to each other on Hip Talk.  It is really a patient to patient effort.  I appreciate everyone that takes time to post their story or help other people. This is a great group of very nice and supportive folks.

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »
JHD,

You have selected an excellent surgeon.  I am delighted with the miracle that Dr. Gross and Lee Webb performed on my hips.  I am a little over two weeks post surgery and I am walking around the house without a crutches and remarkably without a limp, but more importantly the bone-on-bone pain is gone.

If you have any questions don't be shy about posting.  This board is a great support community.

Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

jhd

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting my flexibility back.  I can't even reach my foot to put on a sock.  Alan, what time was your surgery.  When did you first walk post op?  When did you leave the hospital and then fly home?  Two weeks and no crutches...wow....that is great! 

karenj_m

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
Hey JHD, congrats on your upcoming surgery with Dr. Gross!! :)

Here's some tips that I send to new patients that are going to Dr. Gross:

• Here's some info on the knowledge I learned about Dr. Gross:
    Dr. Gross is very advanced (for example):

He's done over 1800 hip resurfacings
    He does minimal invasive surgery (small 4 inch incision)
    He uses your blood to make a mixture to put in the femur cap and along the incision for bone growth and faster incision healing
    He uses a bandage that is some kind of bio-bandage that you can take a shower in and don't have to change at all until 10 days post-op where you take it  off for good
    He uses a certain cocktail of meds for nausea and pain management
    He has them even put a patch behind your ear (for nausea) before surgery
    He has been involved in Conserve (and presently) Biomet medical studies.
    The Biomet parts he uses in patients (cementless) --- HE designed for better stress resistance and bone growth.
    He is a young man as far as doctors go
    I have been told by other posters from the board, that he finished some of his "fellowships" in his career in a way the most doctors envy
    He REALLY knows what he's doing, and has it down to a science
    He takes on very complex cases (you can see my story on Pat's site)
    He doesn't tell you bologna
    He's quite strict with hospital personnel when it comes to the care of his patients
    He's NOT a pompous ass
    He explains your situation in a way that is not over your head
    post-surgery, he gives you a detailed written report of everything done during your surgery

Tips:

Prepare your home - move loose wires/rugs/things you might trip on.
    Figure out which shower (if you have 2 bathrooms) is easiest to get in and out of with help
    Don't bring a ton of stuff to the hospital, you'll never use it
    Clothes that you bring should be loose or oversized
    Make sure the hospital keeps your ice machine full of cold ice all night (they will send you home with the ice machine)
    The first 5 days at home is a little tough because you are trying to figure out how to manueve
    FOLLOW any restrictions Dr. Gross gives you - guard your hip!
    Use the at home tools they will give you (grabber, sock-putter=oner, shoe horn)
    Don't live in your bed at home..get up move about...then rest in another room
    Use LOTS of pillows, and ICE every possible minute, it keeps the bruising to a minimum
    YOu can add extra ice by using ziplock bags (besides the ice machine hip wrap they give you)
    Do the phase I exercises faithfully (it will be tough at first, this is normal)
    Take your meds, and your blood thinners, etc.
    Your leg will be a bit like a useless log - don't be afraid, this will pass in a couple of weeks
    You may have a sensation of clunking in your new hip...this is normal and will pass in later months
    Don't do anything stupid to "see if you can do it now"....protect your hip
    Switch up chairs, try the kitchen one, the couch, etc...find your happy place
    If you have pets, keep them at bay by using your crutch (I have 3 dogs)
    Make sure you have help at home
    You may get depressed, emotional, angry, etc... this is normal
    try to get outside for a few minutes, and after a couple of weeks..have someone drive you to the store or mall and you can zip around in one of those cool driving carts
    At the hospital, try to take a shower using the "sit down" chair....you will feel great.
    TRY .... TRY to do what the PT folks ask of you even if you feel like crap....try!
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »
Good tips Karen and good points about Dr. Gross, he is all that and more.  I would add to your tips list, take some silky type of short, it makes it easy to get in and out of your car--- it makes pivots easier.

Also, Dr. Gross uses aspirin instead of self-injections now.  One of the hospital's nurses is an early Dr. G patient, her name is Lynn.  Very feisty.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting my flexibility back.  I can't even reach my foot to put on a sock.  Alan, what time was your surgery.  When did you first walk post op?  When did you leave the hospital and then fly home?  Two weeks and no crutches...wow....that is great! 

JHD,

Some mornings, my wife had to put on my right sock and the other times that I could do it, it hurt like bloody heck.  I am looking forward to ditching the sock installer and being able to put them on without pain. 

On Monday, my right hip surgery was at 11:30 AM and we did the first walk Tuesday morning.   My left hip surgery was at 0730 AM on Thursday and I walked Thursday afternoon.  The hospital discharged me Saturday afternoon and we flew home on Sunday.

Since my last post, I have been carrying my crutches for long portions of my outdoor walks.  Without crutches, my hips feel wobbly and I am sure the muscles need to heal and strengthen, but I feel safe on uniform flat surface.  I can't believe how rapidly that I am healing and it is great to see continued progress everyday.  I am about 1/2 way through the six week recovery period.  My wife has remarked that when I walk without crutches that my limp is  :) :) :) :) :)gone!  :) :) :) :) I had developed a very bad limp before my surgery and felt like such an old crippled man.  I am looking forward to what I'll be able to do at six weeks.

As you read the various accounts, you will see that everyone heals and recovers at different rates, but they all do heal and recover.  Keep this in mind when you take those first few steps after your surgery.

My Best Wishes and Prayers for your surgery and recovery.
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz