+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: bilateral Dr Gross 3/30 and 4/1 2009  (Read 3848 times)

emaxwell

bilateral Dr Gross 3/30 and 4/1 2009
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
I am just over 2 weeks post op from second half of Bilateral. The first week was definitely a challenge. I took the pain pills before I felt I needed them and that worked great, not much pain to deal with. I was a little unprepared for how useless my legs would be, a good deal of swelling even with the ice machine. I guess the big downside from Bilateral is not having a good leg to help out. I defintely questioned the wisdom at first but now I'm sure it was the right way to go.

When I first arrived home from Columbia it was all I could do to walk from the car to the house, but each day was noticeably better. After the first week at home I made it around the block, roughly a mile, and I have continued to do that walk daily, getting faster each day. I hope to lose the crutches soon. there is still a measureable difference in the recovery between the first and second leg that I find interesting.

So far so good, hope to head back to work next monday

4/23 ( 3 weeks post op)- Back at work, no real issues just need to prop my feet up as often as I can to minimize any swelling. Using one crutch, mostly just carrying it around for balance.  I also went to the health club and rode the stationary bike for half an hour, pretty stiff but no real pain. I can't wait until I can finally tie my own shoes...

4/30 Walking without a cane, riding the stationary bike for about 30 minutes a day, I even cut the grass a couple of days ago. Stairs are still a little dicey. I have to remember all the things I'm not supposed to be doing as I am definitely tempted to push it a little bit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:49:46 PM by emaxwell »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: bilateral Dr Gross 3/30 and 4/1 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the update.  Glad things are starting to get better for you.  Being a bilateral is not always easy, but bet you are glad you have it all behind you now.

You only have to give yourself time to get back to normal living.  I have had the doctors tell me that sometimes you don't have the same recovery for both hips.  You would think - same doctor and same device - both hip recoveries should be the same, but not always the case.  Maybe your second hip was even weaker since it had to help more when the first hip was done.  Who knows.

Anyways, Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

emaxwell

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
2 year followup..
I have to say except for setting off the detectors at the airport, I never give a thought to having had bilateral over 2 years ago. There is very rare startup stiffness but for the most part I do whatever I want with no pain. The range of motion in my hips is so much better than before surgery. I used to develop lower back pain from being on my feet too long, that is all gone and I am free to bicycle and RUN after my kids which I was not able to do prior to surgery...

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
Good to hear from a 2 year bi hippy that's doing well. Thanks for the update.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »
emaxwell,

Thanks for the post. It's really special for me to hear from another Gross bi-lat. We look like twins!  ;D

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »
Love the bilat updates.  I'm on a slow recovery path, so hearing about how great things are down the track inspires me to keep at it.  The changes so far have already been amazing and I'm looking forward to posting a positive update like this for my two year update in 2013 :)
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat