+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Other questions about resurfacing  (Read 1413 times)

MarilynRS

Other questions about resurfacing
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:57:28 AM »
Hi to all of the Surface Hippy folks from a bilateral Newbie yet to take the plunge... 

Regarding all the wonderful results :)   I have noticed that people have said that the "grinding of bones" or the "joint pain" ended immediately  (as to be expected I would think, because the nerve endings are now capped in metal).  I am wondering, what about all of the thigh pain?  down the front, down the ilio-tibial band on the outside, down the aductors, down through the knee, through the calf to the foot?  What about the glutes, the lower back? 

OK.  Another question.  A bit embarrassing I guess too.  For me, the journey to knowing I need bilateral resurfacing has been a strange slide from a wonderful, very quick, very easy and efficient labor and childbirth, to 7+ years later walking with 2 canes for stability, strength, and pain management right now.  I never even guessed my hips were problematic --  I just couldn't quite walk right, and it just got worse and worse, with pain in my quads and glutes -- until about a year + ago when I finally got x-rayed.  Because I had been fine pre-birth, I just always figured something needed to heal. 

So, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but is loss of control of the bladder sometimes part of the bigger picture of arthritic lack of function -- not of itself, but of not being able to move or properly use muscles any longer?  It's as if the muscles simply no longer respond.  Luckily, this is only sometimes.  And of course, I cannot "cross" my legs to help.  Or, is this bladder thing just another issue altogether? 

OK, that's enough.  Thanks all, and happy healing.  I am eager to be on the other side of this, walking with 2 canes if need be, but healing myself also!   Good night,  Marilyn
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:23:44 PM by Pat Walter »
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Other questions about resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
Hi

People have all kinds of pain when they have hip problems.  The bad hips throw the balance of your complete body out of wack.  Most people also have back and knee problems resulting from bad hips.  Most of the doctors will tell you that once you get your hip/s replaced, your other problems will often get better.  It does not happen overnight since it has taken years for everything to get so out of balance.  My back has gotten better.  Back problems can cause referred pain all up and down your legs and feet.  Each person has different symptoms.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the hip problems from the back problems.  Of course, x-rays of the hip definitely will show hip problems.  So the moral of my story is - getting your hips replaced will often help other pain and problems after you have recovered and your body has gotten back into balance.

I am not a doctor or medically trained, but over the last 4 years I have not heard of anyone say they had bladder problems resulting from their arthritis or bad hips.  Maybe they just did not want to say.  I would guess it is probably not related to the arthritis - but could be completely wrong.  I will have to wait for others to respond.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
As Pat said, bad hips have a tendency to spread their influence. You adjust to try and lessen the discomfort. Maybe you shorten your natural stride a bit or shift your weight slightly. The changes probably occur subtly over time. You are likely not even aware that things have changed. The rest of your body is :) Each little change puts new stress on different body parts. All of a sudden things you didn't even know you had are hurting because they are being used differently than they should. In my case I thought I had done permanent damage to my left knee. It hurt as badly as my hip when I walked. I'm now 10 weeks post op and my knee is fine!

Like the soft tissue discomfort you will have as a result of the surgery, the soft tissue discomfort you have as a result of your bad hips will more than likely resolve over time.

MarilynRS

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
 :)  "As Pat said, bad hips have a tendency to spread their influence." 

I guess this is good news at this point.   :)    For the longest time (years) I didn't even suspect hip joint problems because the pain was all in my legs and glutes.  So now that I am deciding to go forward with re-surfacing, I am glad to hear this - most of my pain is still usually in various other parts than the hips.  Thanks,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements