+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dysplasia Cup?  (Read 2570 times)

momhippy

Dysplasia Cup?
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
Hi there,
I've long been a lurker on this site. Thanks to all of you who post your stories and your questions - I felt very educated as I went into my surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I received a BHR on my left hip - I'm 35 and was born with congenital hip dysplasia. I underwent surgery when I was 16 months old and had a salter osteotomy. This procedure worked perfectly and I had about 30 years without hip pain or problems. However, about 18 months ago, the osteoarthritis started becoming an issue and I started doing my research, knowing that a hip replacement of some sort was in my future.

Dr. Raterman in Tampa, FL performed the hip resurfacing on 4/6. Everything about the experience was fantastic and I returned home to Orlando two days after the surgery.  I went for the follow up appointment yesterday and was amazed to see the device on the x-rays. They used the dysplasia cup along with a bone graft and two bolts (very Frankenstein-ish). I have four more weeks of partial weight bearing and use of the walker. I can also only continue with light, in home physical therapy until mid-May.

So far, the rehab has been fantastic. I'm not in too much pain - just swelling and stiffness. I have two young sons and a wonderful husband who have all taken such good care of me. Today is my first day on Tylenol only - we'll see how that goes!

I'm wondering if anyone else had the dysplasia cup with the bolts and bone graft - and if so, what the results were.
Thanks again!
Amy

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
Re: Dysplasia Cup?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:12:46 AM »
                             "dysplasia cup with the bolts and bone graft"

It sounds like the makings of a biker gang logo  :) I'm happy that your recovery is going well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:23:59 AM by kwarendorf »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »
Hi Amy

Congratulations on the new hip.

Don't worry about the special cup.  Be glad your surgeon is being very careful so you don't have any problems.  Revision surgery is no fun.  You can have peace of mind that everything is in place and will stay that way.

Just think about it as getting a bargin with all the extra hardware ;)

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
I've often wondered why they don't use a cup with a small screw to hold the acetabular cup on all patients, so many revisions happen because of loose cups--- or does the extra screw cause other issues that I am not aware of?

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

momhippy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »
It's strange to me - the bolts are on the outside of the cup, not through the top of it. I thought the screws would go through the top but when I saw the x-ray, I was surprised to see them on the right side of the cup and cap.

I know that the use of the bolts requires a longer recovery b/c they can increase the risk of fracture - maybe that's why they don't use them more often. But like you, it seems like screws would reduce the risk of loosening.

Amy

John C

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »
My understanding is that with the resurfacing cups, they need to be somewhat thin to accommodate the large diameter head, and still minimize bone loss in the pelvis. Because of this, there is no room in the center of the cup for screw attachments.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tekka

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 03:28:10 PM »
Hi,

I've just viewed McMinns dvd and the section on displaysic cups was really interesting, I think a reason why screw's are not put in all cups is because it is another procedure and with all procedures you incur risk, also the way the screw is put in has to be done really carefully so as not to move the cup when the screw pressure is being applied.

Well...that's the way I viewed it.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

karenj_m

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »
Amy:
This is from Dr. Bose's website on complex cases / dysplasia...

He does very complex cases, and you can see here that he uses the screws in the socket cup too based on how bad the dysplasia is:

http://www.hipresurfacingindia.com/htmls/BHR_Hip_Dysplacia.php

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz