+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hello to everyone :-)  (Read 3031 times)

Steve_R

Hello to everyone :-)
« on: September 25, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »
Why haven't I found this forum before...

I won't go into the full details because it kind of goes back to when I was 6 and I'm 35 now but I've had issues with my left hip for sometime. I've know that it will need to be replaced at some stage. It quite funny I find this site today and not earlier as I have an appointment in the morning to reach some kind of decision.

My problem is in my left hip where I have ostiarthritis and since the beginning of the year have now reached the bone-on-bone stage. I have a shallow hip socket and partly cupped ball of the joint which has quickly worn away to reach this stage. I feel very lucky that my surgeon is Dr Treacy at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital Birmingham UK. I've had 4 injections in the joint now the last in May which lasted only about a month and I'm now on Omeprazole (to protect stomach), Dicloflex (anti inflam) and Co-dydramol (pain killer). Its helping but the joint can get stiff, crunching and clunking. It can be fine at time but my walking distance has reduced over the past 12 months and once I hit that limit I just have to rest for a while.

I've been added to the waiting list but not activated. My appointment tomorrow is to perhaps activate it but as many other people probably know I'm finding that decision rather hard :-(

I haven't really got any questions at the moment but its nice to get some feed back and put your mind at rest about things.

Almost forgot it will be the resurfacing which I will eventually have done.

Steve R

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:01:33 PM by Steve_R »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hello to everyone :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »
Hi Steve  Welcome to Hip Talk

You are very young and are lucky to have Mr. Tracey as your doctor.  He is very experienced in hip resurfacing. Most of our surgeons here in the US are not as experienced.  A few are, but on the whole many have just done BHR training since May 2006.

You certainly are too young to have a THR if you can have a hip resurfacing.  It sounds like you have tried it all and are probably ready for your hip resurfacing.  The surgeons are good about determing when the time is right.

I had to travel from Ohio in the US to Beligum to get my new BHR from Dr. De Smet. I did not have health insurance and also wanted to use a very experienced surgeon.  Dr. De Smet has done over 2400 hip resurfacings.  You can't beat the overseas doctors for experience.

I have a lot of great personal stories from athletes with hip resurfacings  http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php  and many more plain personal stories http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php  Not too many from the UK.

If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to ask them.  I had my hip resurfacing in March of 2006 and I was quite a bit older than you - I was 61 years old.  I still wanted to stay active and not worry about a dislocaiton, so I choose to have a hip resurfacing.  It is always the best option when you are a candidate.

Good Luck and keep in touch.  Maybe you can write a little story for my website when you get your hip resurfaced.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Steve_R

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:10:47 AM »
Heya Pat thanks for the welcome,

Well I had an interesting morning :-)

Got to the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital Birmingham at 8.30 for my appointment and got to see the doctor at 10.45, a few folks we moaning but I find out that Dr Treacy himself is in. I don't think I've ever seen him in all the years I've been annually going. I did ask to see him once and they laughed he's that busy, worth a try though.

I did end up seeing him though I think because his team had referred me to him he also wanted to see me. I'd made a list of questions but the whole thing went out the window. He took a look at my last x-ray and made the decision I think for me. His opinion was there is a window to get the best time to do the operation to prevent further damage to the joint from normal activity.

So, he will personally do the operation and thinks it will be around February which is a lot sooner than I thought. NHS waiting times are quoted as around 6 months but I was told last time if Treacy himself was doing it, it could be a lot longer. He said he'd done over 4 thousand operations now.

The only variation on mine was due to my shallow hip socket he would probably use a modified cup with 2 extra screws.

So there you go, I was at no point on my first post on a decision on having it done and now the ball is really rolling. They asked for pre-op tests today but I'll go back for those. I've got to get my head around it all at the moment.

I shall keep you all informed and post my progress pre and post op :-)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:13:04 AM by Steve_R »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:25:16 AM »
Hi Steve

That sounds great.  You can't have a better surgeon than Mr. Tracey. If he says it's time - then I sure would believe him.  You are lucky you don't have to wait so long.

Do you mind if I start a Hip Story about your experience.  I don't have any stories from patients of Mr. Tracey.  I have mostly US doctor stories except for Dr. De Smet and Dr. Bose.  It would be nice to have one.  Maybe as you give me updates, I will add it to your story.  I have a few McMinn stories.

Please let me know if it is ok to start a story. 

I am glad he is making sure he is using the modified cup for your shallow sockets.  There have been a handful of slipped acetabulum cups lately with the newer doctors in the US.  You don't want to take a chance for that to happen.

I wish you the best.  Please keep in touch.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Steve_R

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:37:28 AM »
Yes not a problem really wish I'd of found the site ages ago.

I'll keep you informed and steer me in the direction of where the story is so I can have a look :-)

Glad to be of help to other people.

Steve

Jane

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
Hi steve

I have just joined this site today and was quite interested to hear your story... please dont be afraid.. I had lot of things floating around in my head when i was told i would next a hip resurface..

I am recovering from the operation as we speak... had the operaton on the 1st September and....wow no pain.. I was told i had a shallow socket just like you and was told by my surgeon (Mr Khalid Drabu in the uk) that not to worry he would sort that out... but to be fair i didnt really ask what he was going to do.. but havent had any problems with it so far..

I am now on one stick and walking the dog twice a day.. Im also having hydrotherapy which i would recommend as being in water makes exercising so much easier.

I Wish you luck with your operation and I think you wont look back... Im am now free from pain and you will be to

Jane :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:22:25 PM »
Hi Jane

Welcome to Hip Talk!

I am glad to hear how well you are doing.  It is great to be out of pain.

Thanks for posting.  I have a favor to ask of you - could you post your story on the  Hip Stories section of this discussion group?  That way more people will find it and read about you hip resurfacing.

If you do post your story, could you tell us how long you were in pain, you age and a little more about your bad hip.  Maybe add an update now and then.

The personal stories really help people.  They can learn about other doctors and how other people went thru the surgery and recovered.

Thanks again for posting.

Keep us updated on your recovery.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Steve_R

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 06:36:41 PM »
Heya Jane,

Thanks for the post and the best of luck with your recovery :-)

Not much to report at the moment. I've got my appointment with the Hip Workshop to discuss requirements at home after my op and other things I suppose I can and can't do. Thats on Thursday this week. I've not mentioned it all at work at the moment I'm concerned about the time off and how they'll take it. No news on a surgery date at present but I will be honest it due scare me. I've not really had any surgery before and I think because I've had the problem from an early age I'm stuck in a mind set about it. I'm woffling on now.

Think I've been a bit like a bear with a sore head the last few weeks. Not sure why but think its to do with the op and concerns and the tablets at the moment. I'm sure I'll be rattling soon. I'm thinking of cutting them down a bit they don't seem to make much difference.

I'm terrible at logging on and checking emails too but will keep posting any news etc :-)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
Hi Steve

February will be here before you know it.  Next Spring you will be active and walking with a great new hip.

Good Way to start the year.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat