+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 3934 times)

jjiam

Frustrated
« on: September 30, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
I went to my first PT apointment on Wednesday the of September. He massaged the area (my but), then did  minutes on the stationary bike, then did some squats on the total gym, which felt good.  Now the frustrating part.  I went to a cane when I flew back to Oreon from Nevada, so that being said, after my first PT, it wasn't bad that night.  The next day, I set up my own bike on a trainer.  I figured how to get on, and did 5 minutes slow RPM.  It started hurting so later I did 5 minutes again slow RPM.  Well that night, and the next morning I could hardly walk with my cane.  Then when I went to the PT on Friday, he put me back on crutches, since I could hardly walk with the cane.  He said it's better to keep your gate going, and putting just enough pressure on it to keep stress on it.  So today Sunday, I am still using my walker/crutches.  Now that frustrates me, I was OK using a cane, but can't use it again yet.  The PT said that the pain I was experiencing, which is in my groing area when I walk, is bone pain from my acetabulum.  Does this sound right?  and why can't I walk with a cane, it's like im going backwards.  It has been 2 weeks and 5 days.  I can only hope things get better.  If anyone has any ideas please post them, it couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:56:05 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »
Hi

One thing I can tell you is that you can  very easily over do PT!!  When it hurts - stop. If you have to not do any PT for days or even a week - stop and wait until your muscles have recovered. 

Unless you hip surgeon has told you he used a special cup in your acetabulum - you con't have any screws.  Normally the cups are press fitted into the socket.  No glue is used.  They only use screws if you have a special problem. Most people don't have any screws at all.

When you are having problems early on with PT, it is normally a muscle issue.  Often you don't even need to be doing PT.  Just walking is enough.  Dr. De Smet does not even suggest PT after you get home and any kind of agressive PT is too much.

When I did some PT at home, I quickly started hurting too.  As soon as I pushed myself, my muscles were not ready.  Now water walking is different.  But you still don't want to overdue any kind of activity for weeks.

Why are you using crutches?  I only used one crutch from day 4 post op.  I also used elbow crutches which are much easier to use an much more stable.  A cane just doesn't give very good support if you need it.  You can use one crutch as you would a cane.  Use it on the opposite side of your operated hip.  It moves forward as you take a step forward with the operated leg.  It hits the ground just before the leg does.  Using a cane or crutch this way takes more than 60% of the weight off your leg.  If you use a cane or crutch on the operated side, it takes less than 20% of the load off the leg. 

I would just lay low for awhile.  Give you body a rest.  Your muscles will recovery.  You are still very early in your recovery.  I used one crutch for 4 weeks.  My PT told me I could stop using it sooner, but I did not feel comfortable that way. 

Don't let pride get in your way - use one crutch so you get good support.  It is also much easier to walk with just one crutch.  Try to rent or find an elbow crutch.  I walked more than a mile a day with my elbow crutch.  I was doing that about 10 days post op.

So don't push yourself yet.  Walk, use your crutch and don't do any repetitive motion equipment.  Most of the experienced docs just want you to walk, walk and walk.  They also say - don't do more than you think you can.  Do less and listen to your body. If it hurts - stop doing whatever you are doing.  It is too early to push.  "No Pain No Gain" is never used in recovery from hip resurfacing.  Don't let any PT push you!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jjiam

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:43:40 PM »
Thanks Pat, it is good to hear that.  So you think bicycling is too hard to do?  When I do it I don't have any pain, and when I did the squats I did about 70% down.  That felt pretty good on my hip.  So which do you think I'm overdoing? the bike or the squats?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »
Hi

I personally would not be doing any kind of squats at this point. If you should lose your balance, or just go too far, you could be inviting problems.  One lady had a dislocation about 6 weeks out when she bent down to reach something.  That was unusual and doesn't happen hardly ever.

But again, you are only 2 weeks post op.  I would stick with whatever stretchs you doctor have you, water walking and regular walking.  I would not chance doing any kind of sqats at this point.  Your hip capsule has a long way to go to heal.  If you get your leg in a similar position that the doc used to dislocate it during surgery - you are inviting disaster.

Take it easy!  Walk and get into the pool and do some water walking and stretches. 

Be careful, you don't want to become a statistic for a disocation or disturbing your new hip in any way.  I have read on the Yahoo Group for over 2 years and people that are too agressive in the beginning can get into problems.  Your body needs to heal.  Give it a chance and it will let you do whatever you want at 6 or 9 months out. 

I did not hurt when I was doing more agressive PT until later that day.  Then I knew I did too much.  I would just take it easy for a few more weeks.  Enjoy the fall weather and take walks.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:53:07 PM »
Hi Nicole
Welcome to Hip Talk.

I can only answer your questions from my own experience.  I did not have any swelling.  But people that have had swelling usually use ice on the hip. Perhaps you are being too active at 3 weeks post op.  If you are hurting or experiencing swelling, you might be doing too much for your new hip and muscles. 

Dr. De Smet, my hip resurfacing doctor, always says to listen to your body.  If you are having pain or swelling, you might be pushing yourself too hard.  I was not doing that much at 3 weeks post op.  Walking was my main activity.

You body will tell you if you are doing too much.  De Smet always said - do less than you think you can.  I had a very long scar probably 10" since De Smet likes lots of room to work quickly. It healed very quickly. I only had stitches.

I think you might want to phone your doctor and ask his/her advice.  Any kind of PT designed for athletes if not right for hip resuracing according to Dr. De Smet.  YOu do'nt want to be pushing too much early on.  YOu will have plenty of time to push after your have healed.  Give your body a chance to heal.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

whozethere

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »
I haven't had surgery yet, but I have worked in a gym environment and I know one thing that might have created a problem if you didn't over do things on the bike.  I suspect the seat may have been not adjusted to the correct height for your leg length. Different stationary bikes, require different adjustments.  Any time we brought new patients into cardiac rehab, we would rotate them through the equipment in a one on one session finding all their correct settings for each piece of equipment and teaching them how to adjust the equipment independently.  Your knee should be slightly flexed when you have one petal in the lowest position.  Talk to your PT and they can demonstrate how to adjust the equipment for you.  I have seen a few bikes that just put a person at such an awkward hip to foot posture that it wasn't worth using the equipment.

Scott C

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:57:16 AM »
When is it felt that you can get more aggressive with PT. I'm mostly concerned with "range of motion" PT more than strength training. It seems as though ROM work will also be painful, but may need to be in order to improve.

What are your thoughts?
Dr Su - Right Hip Resurfacing - 4/10/08

Ronnie

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
After 6 weeks Doctor Zelicof said i could walk, dance, and work. It was my 50th birthday and i did alot of everything. Boy did i pay for that,i was worried that i i hurt something. The Doctors office forgot to canncel a appointment and i was able to get some xrays. As it turns out i just pulled mucles i haven't used. It set me back about 5 days in my recovery. It was the most pain i had during the whole thing. Once i found out my new hip was still good i felt better.
                         It was worth it Ronnie D

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat