+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cleveland Bound(Home from Cleveland)Day 15  (Read 1561 times)

Tony

Cleveland Bound(Home from Cleveland)Day 15
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:59:49 AM »
Hello Everyone,  It's been a while since my last post. I am 46 years old, live in Indiana and arthritis started in my hips before age 30. Today I am leaving for Cleveland for resurfacing of my left hip. Dr. Peter Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic will be preforming the surgery at the Euclid Hospital in Ohio on Wednesday. He will be using parts made from Smith & Nephew. I am to the point were I can hardly walk and my right side is almost ready to give out also. My family Doctor has always been of the mindset of just to keep taking pain pills instead of surgery and wasn't help in finding a surgeon for resurfacing. I found Dr. Peter Brooks through this site. Well, off to Cleveland. Will try to update when I can.                                                                                                                                                              
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:01:44 AM by Tony »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Cleveland Bound
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:28:48 AM »
Hi Tony

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery with Dr. Brooks.  He has a lot of happy patients and is becoming very experienced.

Please keep in touch with us and let us know how things are going.

Enjoy your Cleveland trip and your new hip.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tony

Re: Cleveland Bound(Home from Cleveland)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
Had my left hip resurfaced May 20th. by doctor Peter Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic. Operation and care was actually done at the Euclid Hospital on Lake Erie. Surgery took around 2 hrs. Femoral head went OK but pelvis was a problem. There was a lot of damage from arthritis. The spurs were so big that they had pushed the head way out of the socket( no wonder I could hardly walk). By the time he got to good bone the area was thin and when the socket was inserted the pelvis fractured,so a screw was put in to hold the socket ( Another reason not to wait so long to do something about your hip ). This will leave me on crutches for 6 weeks with no weight bearing on the leg. I lost a lot of blood and needed 3 units to bring the count back up. My bowels were paralyzed about 60 hrs from anesthesia which made me very nauseous during that time. All this really slowed my recovery and therapy. I was finally released on Wednesday the 27th. It took around 8 hrs. driving and stopping to get home and I couldn't be happier to be home! I am getting good rest and much stronger and doing all my exercises. I look forward to good recovery. I am very glad that my surgeon was very experienced and skilled to be able to handle my operation. Thanks everyone for your past input.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:44:28 PM by Tony »

Tony

Re: Cleveland Bound(Home from Cleveland)Day 15
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »
Hello everyone, Just an update. I am now on day 15 of my resurfacing with Dr. Peter Brooks. Every thing is going well. Yesterday I got my staples out and the incision is looking good. My incision is about 7 and a half inches long and on the side of my leg. I had stopped taking pain meds about 5 days ago. Stopped icing just after that and the swelling has been getting much less. I am still sleeping with my legs elevated which I believe is really helping the swelling. Been doing my exercises and getting stronger every day. It is still very uncomfortable to sit in a straight back wooden chair for very long ,even with padding. That also improves every day. Leg muscles are still very sore. While exercising my leg I am able to pull it up to 90 degrees while lying down. That is not to bad because I have not been able to do that for many years. I will keep stretching to try to get past 90 degrees. I am sure that it may take a little time for that to happen. Well time to do exercises. Thanks Tony

fenceman

Re: Cleveland Bound(Home from Cleveland)Day 15
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »
Hi Tony, Dr. Brooks did my left hip in August 08.  At 10 months I am doing pretty good.  I have been exercising quite a lot trying to get back into shape.  Seems I over due it, my hip will feel sore, worry that I knocking something loose, wait for a week, then feel better.  2 weeks later I do it all over again. 

Just don't over due it and listen to your Dr. 
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat