+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cycling after surgery  (Read 8072 times)

Whit

Cycling after surgery
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to the web site.  I was reading some old posts about cycling.  I am 5 weeks post op and doing well (LBHR).  I went back to work in three weeks and started walking without a cane at four weeks.  I have been walking in the water and swimming laps with a float between my knees (Dr. said no kicking). 

I am curious about cycling.  I am dying to get back on my bike, but have some concerns.  How do cyclists get by without breaking the 90 degree rule? Also, how do you clip out without turning you leg in?  I am hoping to to a little riding before I have to have my right hip resurfaced in December.

Thanks!
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

UPwingnut

Re: Cycling after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »
I'm at 8 weeks and my doc just gave me the "go" to do any exercise that doesn't cause me discomfort. I had asked about biking and skating. I intend to try biking this weekend but will have help there in case I need it. I really think I'll be fine, but things have gone SO well, that I don't want to mess up the works!! I had heard that getting on the bike was the worst part, so I asked for input on this site (in the hockey part) and received this reply...

Hey UP,

Congratulations on your recovery! For biking, you're right the most difficult part is getting on and off. When getting on, tilt the bike toward you and let it go as low as it needs to for you to clear it with your operated side. Then get on and ride easy an easy, flat route. Go with an easy gear and spin at around 80-90 rpm. Don't try and push it until you build a base and increase the length of your ride by small increments over the next several weeks. Listen to your body and you'll be hammering soon. Best of Luck!

spencer

I hope things continue to go well with your recovery.
Take care,
Joe
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

Whit

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  I live in a hilly area, so I'll have to carefully plan my route so as not to climb too hard.  I am also concerned about clipping out.  Any thoughts on that?

Whit
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

kb134

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
Hi Whit!
Congrats man!  I'm not a surgeon, nor medically trained, but I can tell you, from the testimonies of many "hippies" that a resurfaced hip is very stable.  Most doctors, in reference to resurfacing, do not even prescribe the 90 degree rule.  The only "move" to be careful about, until your hip capsule fully regenerates and the surrounding and supporting muscles/tissues/ligaments is the knee-up-towards-chest (yes to that 90 degree mark!) BUT with internal rotation - as if to cross your legs.  But usually, a person after surgery for some time is too tight/stiff to even get that far anyways.
As for cycling, it, like swimming, is one of the best activities in your recovery period.  It is so repetative in nature - the spinning - that its like constanly stretching and releasing ... which helps so much in regaing range-of-motion.  I'd recommend switching your road/mtb pedals for flats (I know, yuk!) at first, until you have the confidence in your hip.  It is very stable.  If you use your road/mtb pedals, just back off the tensioning spring(s) - usually with and 2-3mm allen wrench, depending on the make of your pedal.  If you are going to ride on the street, ride in a very "traffic-calm" area.  You don't need a fall or a run in from an aggressive driver because you're riding a little slower :)
This will make you laugh - hopefully - on one of my first rides, on my road bike just after resurfacing, I got chased by a HUGE dog and had to SPRINT, with a brand new hip -well it was at 8 weeks at this point.  I had to modify my position to accomodate my inability to even bend towards the 90 degress - a shorter stem, and I even moved my saddle forward a bit.  keep measurements of your current position if you are going to change it up to change it back when you're all healed and ready to rock it!
Cheers man! 

Whit

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »
Thanks, KB.  Glad you out-ran the dog!   ;D I'll keep you posted.

Whit
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

DirkV

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
Hi Whit,
Good luck with your cycling in specific and recovery in general.
I can second the advice to adjust your "clipless" pedals to the easiest possible release tension. Another piece of advice along those lines. You'll get better and want to re-adjust to add tension. I neglected to do that as my recovery progressed until I realized that I had a little wobble in my pedal stroke caused by the low-tension setting.
When I was riding on the trainer very soon after surgery, I would attach the shoes to the pedals before I got on and then have a helper cinch up / undo the shoes before and after riding.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Whit

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »
Thanks for the good advice, Dirk.  I got an ear infection, so I had to stay out of the water a few days.  The local Y where I swim has some nice recumbent bikes.  I finally got brave enough to try one.  The back reclines enough so I don't break the 90 degree rule. I know a lot of people do it, but I'm still having some joint pain and am terrified of doing something bad.  I peddled really easy for about 10 minutes.  Then I walked on the treadmill for another 10 minutes.  The next day, my surgery hip felt great!  My other one hurt like the devil (I'm having it resurfaced sometime before the end of the year).

I peddled another 10 minutes yesterday and increased my distance.  Hopefully I will get to actually ride my bike this fall before I have to do the other hip.

Thanks so much for the advice!
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

TriGuy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:17:14 PM »
Hi Whit--

I am a triathlete recovering from resurfacing.  My thoughts based on advice from doctor/PT:

-ride trainer for 4 weeks beginning at week #3 post-op;  best rehab you can do;  easy spinning for 2 weeks and gradually add tension to challenge the muscles
-then go to road bike at week #7 post-op;  as mentioned, no worries about the 90 degree rule with resurfaces;  falling is the main worry so yes, be sure you can unclip easily;  start easy and build gradually

I know several tri guys and cyclists who at 4 months post-op are doing decent mileage and effort.

Good luck!

Whit

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
Thanks!  I actually got on a spin bike yesterday at the Y.  I used toe clips instead of clipping in.  My surgery hip felt great!
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

K2MJones

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
I just had my left hip done last week, but in my pre-op PT apt. I asked about cycling and as my PT guy is an ex-road racer in Europe, he was VERY understanding.  He reminded me that clipping out is not a motion that has to be in moving the heel out, but can be in moving the heel in which does not in any way violate the hip limitations.  He also was advocating adjusting clipless pedals to the easiest possible release tension.  I am hoping to be given the green light for riding the trainer and can't wait until I can get outside and log some real miles.

LBHR on 8/13/09

larry2458

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 04:11:41 AM »
i didn't use clipless before my op for obvious reasons and still don't use them on my MTB.
on the road though,they're fine.heel in or out it shouldn't matter.good luck and get some miles in.
                                            larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

Eurocard

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »
I am only 7 days out of my LBHR so am not yet back on the cycle.  However, for the 2 weeks before the op I started to heel-in unclip.  If you have always been a heel outer it gets a bit of getting used to, I found myself leaning against a few walls!  So, before actually getting in motion I would recommend you spend some stationary supported time practicing Heel-In.

Good luck on your recovery, and here's to the wind in your face once more :)

armondi

Re: Cycling after surgery Advice Needed!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »
Hi Everybody, I'm 7 1/2 weeks Post-OP.

What is a safe cycling resistance to use 8-weeks post op?
 I was cleared by my doc to swim (kick) at 6 weeks, Prior to that , I was  using a swim bouy. Between laps, I "biked" through the lane with the similar cadence of my road cycling exploits. As one would logically assume, the faster I went, the more resistance I felt.
I currently use a fluid trainer for stationary cycling, and probably will for the next 8 months (I seem to get much more out of this than the treadmill anyway). The resistance is similar to the pool, but I want to up it a notch. Working up the sweat clears the mind and re-news the soul.
How will I know when too much is "too much"?  Also, any stories of out there of elliptical training as an adjunct to the regimen?

Thanks all, hope you're all doing well.
Al

moe

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Al, I was cleared and started to ride outdoors at 7 weeks, I am a very experienced rider and it went well. But listen to your doc. I started out easy but felt so good that I was climbing and standing up hills in a few weeks.  Three months out and I can go as hard as I want. My doc told me the riding is good, the falling part not so good, so I am very careful. good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat