+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: stretched out my groin area, some pain:(  (Read 8698 times)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
stretched out my groin area, some pain:(
« on: August 07, 2009, 03:41:37 AM »
 ???

I have been pressing it way too hard kite surfing every day for the last 3 weeks.  I gave a slight strain to my groin area( inside my crotch to my thigh) by surfing with the powered up kite and hitting it hard off the lip and going for air and more.  To make it worst, yesterday while enjoying my session in perfect conditions, my kite had a mind of its own and went down...in its relaunch, it took me for a tea bag that launched me high and far..and stretched out my groin worst..(thought I dislocated my hip for that minute..so I just relaxed and got back to shore asap..) Now I have what feels like a strained or stretched out groin muscle.  I know the best thing for right now is rest..then strength pt to make it stronger..I am hoping for a quick recovery..hurricane coming and epic waves are due in a few days..along with some strong winds.  Wondering if anyone did like a splits move that made you feel stretched..and how long did it take to recover?  (I don't seem to know how to slow down, and am hoping in a few days I will be good enough to get some thrill rides again..even in my pain, I find it less painful to ride then sit.)  I know I was lucky to be able to go kiting so soon after my surgery, I know I should rest..and I will for at least the next 2 days..making it a 3 day sit out..but if the waves call me from this hurricane coming...I think I can muster up a few waves just because you don't get super huge large excellent all the time..and then I can rest after its subsides....yeah right! 

just checking in with others who might of made some set backs in the muscles there where it counts...
Eric

Tekka

Re: stretched out my groin area, some pain:(
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:36 AM »
Eric

I read your post with respect and utter amazement and a rye smile, I am not the most patient person and I have to hold back and I try to remind myself that I want my hip to last, but this can be difficult sometimes.

You know your body mate but you seem to be on overload mate, I would be impressed with what your doing if you were in your twenties...try to remember what we were like before the re-surf, I was like an old man, I to have a new lease of life but remember what we have inside us, its a chunk of metal !!!

Take it easy for a few days, I remember reading your early posts and how happy you were with just being able to get back in the water.

Good luck and I hope the groin improves.

Regards

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

John C

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:08:45 AM »
Hi Eric,
Though I have not pulled a groin muscle (yet), I do share some of your pain from this great summer of wind and waves; the best season of south swells on Maui that I can ever remember. Though I made it through the winter of skiing every day with no problems, I have found the summer ocean activity to be harder on the hip. :'( I go out on the waveski pretty much every morning at sunrise for 2-3 hours of surf, and then windsurf in the afternoon for 3-5 hours every day. Lots of little aches and twinges that I did not feel as much last winter, with the biggest problem being on the outside of the hip, which was diagnosed as trochanteric bursitis. I was on Celebrex for a month, which pretty much cleared it up. Now that I have been off it for a few weeks, it is coming back, so I started on the Celebrex again today. Luckily, I do not notice it much when I am out being active, but it gets sore if I sit around for a while. It should be an interesting day tomorrow with tropical storm Felicia bringing us some wind and waves. Maybe a Celebrex breakfast, and we will try to convince ourselves to rest after the storm passes through.  ;D ::)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »
John,

Yeah its been an epic summer!  I kited yesterday(Monday) after a 5 days of rest...(bike rode a coastal path Saturday and that helped stretch it out some and add strength) The winds were up, and the waves were better then the normal, but still looking for more of that east swell.  I bet its gonna be good this morning for you...hope it makes it to us on Kauai too.. I have the day off and plan on chasing waves, even though I am not 100% yet, but yeah, the rest can come later.  At my age, 44, I feel like I should, young and active and still healing when I break down..and not one who slows down..so when things like this happen, I do take it easy for a bit, but still try to enjoy life to its fullest.

I would say if I could slow down, it would be about a weeks to 10 days rest for the groin stretched out pain.  (it still hurts down there when I sneeze, but you should of seen the pain last week when I pulled it)  Some leg lifts while on the bed, along with laying on my tummy and then lifting my leg up and back seems to help stretch it out.

Eric
Nov 3, 2008
r Bhr

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:17:13 AM »
 :D Epic waves called me, my favorite spot on this island.  I was lucky enough to have the day off and I kited my brains out!  The wave was so good and long, and had some good size, crowd not even a factor, 3 sessions, but my last one I shortened it up due to jelly legs.  Put my body to the test, rode hard with the exception of hitting airs or off the lips floaters, but still slashing the waves and hitting good speeds on the waves and my tacks back into the line-up.  I tried to keep my thoughts of my strained groin in check, but perfect conditions over loaded me and it was a great day!  Rest will come if the waves subside...all in all..I feel wonderful right now!!!

Eric 8)

John C

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:48 PM »
Hey Eric, just curious what your favorite break is on Kauai (Mahalopu?)? For what its worth, I will pass on to you one of my old favorite secret spots there. It takes a north swell, and tradewinds. Go down to Anini Beach on the north shore. Drive past the beginner windsurfing beach, and past the polo field on your left. The road will swing out to a little point right on the ocean. There is a channel out right in front of the point, with a nice peak that breaks on the downwind side of the channel. At a good size of around 10-15', there is a nice peak on the outside that provides a nice long shoulder, that eventually hits the inside shallow reef for a fast hollow finale. I had some great days out there, and only knew one other guy that sailed it (of course this was 25 years ago). Enjoy all the great wave spots on Kauai for me
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:18:07 AM »
 :D Two sessions today, good waves and wind.  Almost did a bad bad thing on the first session, slipped my bad leg off my board and did a semi-splits on a tack out over a bump and gust.  It stung for a minute but that was about it...kind of felt like I walked it off right after.

John, I think that spot is now called 59's or something like that..I hit it once last winter.  M-pu is my favorite and most local spot to me, I goofy foot so lefts are my thing too..and its right by my work and only 30 minutes from my house.

Well, looks like I get some rest now, work is calling and the winds and waves might be going down so full recovery and healing for me. ;D

Eric 8)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »
Aloha,

Checking out the dates of when I got stretched out in my groin muscle area and giving an update to where I am now.  Simply forgot that I did the stretch, no pain there and strength is almost all back.  I have no regrets for the pace I took to heal/rush to play...perfect conditions are rare and now looking back, it made a memory in my life that I won't forget.

I actually didn't do much stretching and or strengthening movements after I did the groin strain, just a light stretch here and there, and a light isometric for strength.  All in all, a lazy approach to healing.

Eric

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
Aloha!

I am so ready to give a call to my doctor for my pain is seaming to be coming back and my muscle feels weak.  Sure it doesn't help that I have been kiting in slightly sloppy surf conditions and now I even bought a motorcycle so I can ride the mountains here on my island.(Yesterday I did my first ride in 2 1/2 years from being away from the sport and took on some great trails and gave my body a full workout from a 2 1/2 hour trip.)

So what I am experiencing is a slight groin pain, feels like a weak muscle or a lymph gland.  I am going to set up an appointment with the doctor, but from this site the page  http://www.surfacehippy.info/groinpain.php helps on some of the thoughts.

It really sucks that I can't lift my surgery side leg as high as the other side, and its tighter and less limber.
I am not too worried yet about this, just that I have not been 100% and when I bang my foot on the carpet due to it being what it is really sends a shocking stinging pain to the area.

Still living life fully,
Eric
Almost 45 years young, b-day less then 2 weeks away!

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
Aloha,

Went to my doctor yesterday, made the appointment 2 months ago and was seriously monitoring my progress.  The best way to describe these last 2 months would be a check mark for as when I made the appointment I was still going downhill on my groin and its weakness and the pain I was experiencing(weakness would cause me to kick the carpet at work and the pain would shoot right to my groin area, real hard time putting on my shorts/pants and hard to wash my feet and toes for I really wanted to lift my knee up as high as I could to wash).

I then saw a turn around, it came from massage therapy around the 4th of July time and it then turned to lymph draining style massages for I had a swollen lymph gland for the last 6 months(felt like an almond and now its down to a pea).  Its been three weeks and I am forgetting that I was in pain only a few months ago.  I saw my doctor yesterday and x-rays show the implant all good and the doctor is amazed at my personal findings of this lymph draining experience.  I will give an update in the next few months to my doctor and you all, but right now its looking up for me.

I hope this information might be useful to anyone.
Aloha,
Eric

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat