+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Unrelenting thigh pain  (Read 2221 times)

keithp

Unrelenting thigh pain
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
Hello all
I am now 2 weeks post op from right hip resurfacing.
I have had massive thigh pain since surgery and it isn't getting any better.

I had a haematoma that developed due to the blood thinners I was on which seemed to cause or be part of the problem.
The Dr. advised me to come off blood thinners which I have done for 1 week now.

The pain in my thigh is unbearable and I have not even been pushing myself. I am in bed 80% of the time. I can walk with no crutches but the pain in thigh is bad.

The pain starts in my outer mid quad and seems to wrap around to the back of my leg.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Could it be a nerve that was damaged or some other structural damage?

Thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Unrelenting thigh pain
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear about your continuing pain.  Have you touched base with your doctor's office or doctor recently?  Maybe you need to ask more about it since it has been a week.

I am sorry, but am not medically trained and can't offer you any solutions.  I do know a few people have had very bad pain from various problems after resurfacing and it took much time to heal and get better. 

I will say most people that did have nerve damaged usually only expeirenced it temporarily.  It usually got better too.  Again, this is only based on reading thousands of stories over the years.

I wish I could offer more suggestions, but the only thing I would do is take it easy and keep a conversation going with my doctor. When you have really bad pain - your body is telling your something.  You doctor should be concerned.  Have you have an x-ray to see if the hip device and acetabular cup was placed properly?  Just a question - not trying to provide a solution since I would have no way of knowing what is really happening.

I just know pain is a message and you need to listen if it doesn't go away. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

katfisch

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
I am just over 3 weeks post op from having a left hip resurfacing. When I was at 2 weeks, the cramping in my left thigh was pretty unbearable, and now at 3 weeks it does seem to be subsiding.  Why did you have to have the surgery?  My problem was congenital hip dysplasia - and, I believe my cramping is due to my muscles having to readjust to a corrected leg length and learning to walk normally. I also had large amount of bruising the back of my entire thigh that extended to the calf of my leg. My instructions are to use crutches for 6 weeks - and, with the cramping pain I had at 2 weeks, I know I would not have been able to walk without the crutches.  Walking with crutches helped to "walk out" the cramping. Currently, I do a position change hourly to help reduce the amount of pain in my thigh - that, and elevating my leg as high as I can when I am sitting or in bed helps. My thihg will cramp initially when I sit or lie, but, if I just lie still for about 15-20 minutes, the cramping subsides.  I agree with Pat to keep an open dialogue with your doctor - he will not know what you are dealing with at home, unless you call and tell him. Do not worry about being a pest - the more information you can give him the better he can help you.  I know - I am a RN.

keithp

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.
Yes, I have been to see the Dr and X-RAYs were taken. The device is implanted correctly. He seems a little stumped at why I am having pain though.
Unfortunately in Canada you cannot call the Dr as they are overwhelmed. You have to go in and see them and wait for up to 3 hours each time.

I went to PT today and he said it was related to the haematoma I had. He said there appears to be no nerve damage. It seems like there is a lot of debris in there from the haematoma that needs to be cleared out using massage and stimulation techniques.
I feel a little better after having seen him today.

Thanks again.

katfisch

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:09 AM »
That makes a whole lot of sense to me and sounds like a "repairable" problem - the tough part is getting to the end of that tunnel - but, at least you have a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing your update -
Good luck with your recovery - (we all need it!) :-))

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear