+-

Poll

How long did it take for you to walk unassisted?

1-2 weeks
67 (26.4%)
2-4 weeks
89 (35%)
4-6 weeks
60 (23.6%)
6-8 weeks
28 (11%)
Longer than 8 weeks
10 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author Topic: Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?  (Read 54209 times)

frosty1235

Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
I see that there seems to be a disparity in the number of Wonder hip recoveries reported here (like Pats) and the time it takes to get back to work. In the returning to work poll 54.4% of the respondents are back to work by 6 weeks. That means there are alot of people out there with slow recoveries who are returning to work past the 6 week point. How about a poll asking how long it took patients to go from crutches to cane and then off the cane? This could be interesting, I suspect that there are alot more people like me (2 1/2 weeks post op Gross, and still can't get on a cane) than there are the super hips. I know I get somewhat discouraged when I read the "4 days post op, climbed the Eiffel Tower today..." posts.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:14:34 AM by Pat Walter »

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: poll question?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
I would not worry too much about walking with a cane at this point.   Can you do a single crutch short distances say around the house?  That is how I started, I would try to go from my livingroom to kitchen with one crutch, then I tried holding out a crutch with both hands to hold me up and I would walk to the crutch 2 or 3 steps. 

Eventually it will come, we all heal at varying rates.  Some people are rabbits, some are turtles, we all will cross the finish line, and remember turtles live a lot longer than rabbits   ;)

Keep the faith, it will come.

BTW--- I did a poll, but it's how long to walk unassisted.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:15 PM »
Hi Frosty,
I was in your situation a little over a year ago, and had all of the same feelings. Now all of that is distant memories, and a couple of weeks one way or the other does not seem like much. I also had my hip done by Dr. Gross (who I think is a fantastic Doctor). At two to three weeks, I kept feeling that I "should" be able to get around on a cane, but it did not go that well  ??? :'( I talked to a couple of PTs, both of whom observed me and advised that I would be better off to stay on two crutches with increased weight bearing, rather than trying to struggle along with a cane :P. I was not able to really switch to a cane for long walks until after 4 weeks, and was not off the cane until about six weeks. From there things progressed very rapidly, and I was running steep mountain trails and skiing eight hours a day by six months :D :D; so try not to let the current rate of early healing bother you. Just enjoy each little small step of improvement, and things will keep getting better at their own pace. :)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

mari

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 04:07:09 AM »
I too, didn't get rid of the crutches until after 3 weeks.  After that I used a cane for a couple of weeks and by 6 weeks I could walk without any limp.  People remarked on how well I walked after surgery.  Dr. Gross was also my doctor.  It also took me longer to walk the first mile, but now at 6 months I can walk several.  So hang in there, it will come.
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »
I see that there seems to be a disparity in the number of Wonder hip recoveries reported here (like Pats) and the time it takes to get back to work. In the returning to work poll 54.4% of the respondents are back to work by 6 weeks. That means there are alot of people out there with slow recoveries who are returning to work past the 6 week point. How about a poll asking how long it took patients to go from crutches to cane and then off the cane? This could be interesting, I suspect that there are alot more people like me (2 1/2 weeks post op Gross, and still can't get on a cane) than there are the super hips. I know I get somewhat discouraged when I read the "4 days post op, climbed the Eiffel Tower today..." posts.

Go at your own pace.  You'll get there.  2-1/2 weeks ago your leg was disconnected and they were drillng, grinding and pounding metal parts into your bones, and they were not gentle about it.  Do what the Dr. says, relax and take your time, and don't try to keep up with the Jone's  :D :D   Remember it is going to take some time. The over 8 weeks guy in your poll was me, but I walk perfect now !! HaHa.  A couple months from now you'll be walking around like a champ and when you look back it's not gonna matter if you walked perfect at 2 weeks or 6 weeks or even 10 weeks. Listen to your body and take your time, you'll get there !!    Just my $.02   8)

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:54:54 AM »
For both my ops I left hospital (op 1 day 5, op 2 day eight) on two walking sticks (canes).  I spent about another week on two sticks and then went to one right up to six weeks.    I felt it wasn't doing me any harm to keep using a stick and it might do me some good.     Even now I still go out on long walks swishing along with a wooden walking stick, swapping hands as I go along.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:16:37 PM by bothdone »
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »
"4 days post op, climbed the Eiffel Tower today..."

LOL. Don't they wear you out sometimes? :)

frosty1235

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement, patience is not my strong suit, I will have to keep your thoughts in mind as I struggle. I just thought it was an interesting question to see how long it takes people to walk unassisted because I am back to work (I sit in front of a computer all day) in 2 weeks but can't walk w/o 2 crutches. Thanks again for the perspective.

socalhippy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »
Hi

I am approaching 4 weeks post op.   I think everyone has to go at their own pace and listen to your body.   I asked my Dr 3 times in the hospital how long I would be on crutches and he wouldn't and said he couldn't answer me but I would know when the time came.   I was walking with crutches for about 2 1/2 weeks, then a cane for a few days and then nothing.    The time between crutch and nothing was quick.   However, I am not working yet and doing pretty intense pt 3 times a week.   I was sore yesterday and didn't get off the couch.  Hang in there....your day will come and you will have a ball!!
Kelly
LH/Schmalzried
7/27/09

JeanM

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
Be patient and let things happen at your own pace.  I made a quick progression from 2 crutches, to 1 crutch, then to a cane within only about 1 week.  But, that's where I got stuck.  It took me several weeks to no longer need to the cane.  Eventually, I really needed to force myself to practice walking without it and boy, did I look goofy.  It took awhile to walk like a normal person - which, by the way, I hadn't done in many, many years.  Your body needs time to not only heal, but also to adjust to the possibility of being able to walk normally again.  It must have taken about 3 months or so to work out the kinks in my walk.

I'll be 1 year post-op next week and my hip is totally amazing!  It's better than it has EVER been. 
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

muzza

Re: Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
Three weeks after my first hip resurfacing, I was walking around the house unassisted and went onto one crutch  when walking outside.  After four weeks I walked without any crutch or stick.  When I went back to my surgeon at six weeks he felt I should still be using a walking stick. However,I find a walking stick very awkward to use. Being only 5' 4" all the walking sticks I've tried, including adjustable ones are too tall for me. I've also got a psychological hang up about using a walking stick. For me, a crutch implies a temporary incapacity, whereas a stick implies a permanent disability. Silly I know, but I don't want to be seen on a stick.

Neil

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
I have been walking unassisted around the house and my office since I came home from hospital on 7th September.

I do however use the crutches for walking outside.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Hi Gav

I was told to use a crutch until I was not limping.  If someone can watch you and see that you are no longer limping, not using a crutch for me was fine according to my doctor - I am not a doctor and can't advise you.  I used a crutch for about 3 weeks.  I could walk without one, but was still limping.  I was told that if you are limping and don't use the crutch, it can cause more problems or slow down your recovery.  So be cautious and careful.

Glad to hear everything is going well for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Glen O

• Casa Roble High School - VP Webpage
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:13 AM »
Today is the fourteenth day post op; yesterday I was able to take very small steps un-aided by my crutch. Today I can take slightly bigger steps, nothing I would do away from my crutch in case I stumble, but my new hip is able to hold the weight. I had a resurface with the BHR product. I'm pleased with this but still wanting more muscle tone. Most of what holds me back at this point is the lack of muscle tone on my shin. I have great difficulty raising my toes up to place the heal down and roll. It's improving.
Right side BHR Sept. 3, 2009 Dr. Paul Dicesare

jj76751

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
I was able to walk unassisted after 10 days however if I did that 2 days in a row I had more pain so just as a precaution I decided to stay with the cane until I had my follow up appointment.

Judy

Glen O

• Casa Roble High School - VP Webpage
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »
This is week 4 post op and I'm almost able to walk normally. I was able to walk unassisted at week 3. Seems like the more I walk with one crutch, longer distances, more frequently, the stronger my muscles become and the more easily I can walk unassisted. I am still amazed at the success of this procedure and the BHR hip. Very thankful for this site and those who take time to add their experiences. Glen
Right side BHR Sept. 3, 2009 Dr. Paul Dicesare

Debbie

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »
I was on two crutches for about two weeks after surgery.  I think I could have gone to one sooner, but I was lucky to have my mom around waiting on me hand and foot. ;D

Once she left, I went to one crutch immediately since it is difficult to carry food or water or anything while on two crutches.  At three weeks out, I started using a cane around the house and one crutch when I walked outside.  I also went back to two crutches when I went to the county fair just for more stability and to keep people further away from jostling me.

When I went back to the doctor at four weeks, I was still using the cane because my therapist told me not to get rid of it until my limp was totally gone.  After Dr. Ball watched me walk, he told me I did not need the cane and my limp would go away in a few days after building up the muscles and letting them get used to their new situation.  He was right and I only used a cane once or twice after four weeks when I walked around Disneyland.  It helped keep people away and give me a little extra support at the end of the day when I got tired.

Lisa M.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 04:49:31 AM »
Hi there, I am new to this site and I am exactly one month post op. I was not too worried about when I would be walking without a crutch until my surgeon told my husband at my 10 day check up that I could have walked without any type of aid a few days after surgery. After that I thought about it a lot but did not actually do it until three and a half weeks. It was not my hip that hurt is was everything else My knee hurt, my leg hurt and my leg felt weak. My physical therapist said ( and I think this is good advise) Your body will heal one way or another so it does not matter when you stop using the crutches of cane. Take your time, you will get there.
-Lisa M.
LBHR 9/22/2009-Dr.Pritchett-Seattle

armondi

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
What I found out was that my Doc (Peter Brooks) takes a very conservative approach and with good reason. By week four, I was still experiencing swelling. By week six, I chose to walk with one crutch, and the leg gradually got stronger. Daily walking on the treadmill helped, as well as lateral abductor exercises while standing. Water therapy-awesome. I was cleared to walk without assistance at my six-week visit, but I had a really noticeable limp, so I chose to use the cane for four days. I am finally "walk-assistant" free, and would say this is probably the worst case for someone my age (41).  Bet on at least six weeks just to allow the device to adhere to the newly shaved bone.
Best Regards,
Al

Kit

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »
Hi
I am a new member to the site and just 20 days post op. I am walking short distances around the house unaided, but still use 1 elbow crutch most of the time. It is good to hear that progress from crutches to stick to unaided is often quite rapid, but I am cautious - I want to give my resurfaced joint the best chance of a long life - and plan to use the crutch till 6 weeks as recommended by the physio.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats