+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Week And Counting  (Read 1955 times)

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
One Week And Counting
« on: October 05, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
Next week I will get BHR’ed and I am really feeling nervous.  Having crazy dreams too..  I am probably psyching myself out by watching the surgery vids and the hip squeaking vids on youtube.  Also, reading the problems posts, is not really reassuring me.  I guess what I am looking for is probably moral support.  I really want my hip fixed and this seems like the best choice.   

Did anyone else have these feeling and, more importantly, are you completely happy with your HR outcome?

Thanks,
NewTurn

medgerton

Re: One Week And Counting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
I am just over three weeks post op. I have had no pain at all in the hip from the minute I woke up in recovery. I had the op on a Friday morning and spent two night in the hospital. Came home on sunday afternoon.  I used crutches for 7 days. And have been walking unassisted since then.

My recovery has been straight line. Better each day. Last thursday I hiked three miles and over did it. So my leg is a bit sore now. But not in the hip area.

My advice is stop reading about the surgery and stop watching videos. You have made the decision to have surgery next week and nothing is going to stop you. Get stuff in order because you will be limited for a bit.

For me it was a great surgery and recovery. I plan on golfing in 4 weeks and playing basketball at 6 months.

Stop researching it. Think about the positive outcome that you will have.

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
Hi Newturn,

It is normal to be nervous mate, it all depends on the type of person you are with regard to how you approach your preparation. I needed to research, research, watch, read etc...my personality!

My wife said she would just give herself over and wait to wake up...uh uh not me.

I think you have to balance your decision, if you have got the best surgeon and you are physically and mentally fit, then what more can you do, I remember nearly cancelling twice, thinking I can wait another six months, but I also remember being really calm the morning of my operation and ready for better things to come.

It is easy to advise you to relax, were on the other side now, this is major surgery and yes complications can happen but they are rare thankfully, and remind yourself why you are doing this....because life is pretty crap living with bone on bone.

I wish you well and think good thoughts mate....look forward to speaking to you on the other side.

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »

My advice is stop reading about the surgery and stop watching videos.

AMEN! Those videos are horrible. I still can't watch them :)

Kyle

Eurocard

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
Personally I loved some of the vids, but I am certified wierd.  I had the surgery last Friday, have a little tenderness from the post op exercises but I do not miss that deeply embedded pain I used to have one single bit.

I too was aprehensive as the operation approached, who would not be, and yes, there were one or two very wierd dreams.  But it is done now, and I am looking forward to the daily progress towards mobility that seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
Welcome to the other side eurocard :)

pamela1130

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »
Hi, my surgery is next week also and I am also nervous.  I guess you always wonder if you could wait a few years, but I have made up my mind.  I have not seen my doctor on the list as I did not see any doctors from Massachusetts.  I didn't do the research, a mutual friend who had it done researched it and I just folowed her lead and then now the last week, I'm researching a little.  I feel this is the right thing for me and the welcome video helped put my mind at ease.  My surgery is on Wednesday so it is actually in five days.  Good luck to you!!  Pamela

medgerton

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 01:38:55 AM »
You have made a good choice in chosing this procedure. Try to stop thinking about it and don't do any more research. Focus on having a successful and quick recovery.  You want to be in a positive frame of mind.

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 03:32:13 AM »
Thank you all for your input.  I cannot really sleep tonight, considering my surgery is basically in about 30hrs.  I came home from work last Friday feeling good in my hip and really wondering if I am doing the right decision.  So, I decided to go jogging around the block.  Low and behold, at about 200m the pain kicked in and I hobbled/jogged back home.  These last few hours are really just a mind game for me now.  I’ll just relax now and look forward to staring my activities back up again once I recover.  Thanks again for all your support.  Next time I post will be on the other side.

Just thinking, what sport activity is the hardest on your hips??  I was thinking Rugby.  That would be a good test for HR.  Well, talk amongst yourselves...  I’ll be back.

Later.

FormerGimp

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »
Good luck! As with most of the others here, I had a fantastic result and now wonder why I waited rather than wondering if I could have waited longer.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat