+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New pain at four months post resurfacing  (Read 1776 times)

Debbie

New pain at four months post resurfacing
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
I have read posts over and over as all of you have about how everyone recovers differently and at a different pace.  I have just been a little frustrated over the last two weeks and am looking for a little advice/reassurance.

I am 38 and had my right hip resurfaced June 5th by Dr. Ball in San Diego (who was great by the way).  My xrays show that the bone is starting to grow onto the cup and the placement is good. 

For the last month or two I had no pain in my hip at all, just a little stiffness and a bit of an uncomfortable feel when my knee fell inward too fast.  Over the last two weeks, that has started to change.  Last weekend, I walked around a street fair for hours in "bad shoes" and when my hip hurt the next day I blamed it on the shoes.  Then, on Saturday I walked about five miles at a pretty brisk pace at the air show.  I have been walking, riding a stationary bike and doing the elliptical at the gym regularly since my surgery.  I also went to physical therapy:  in house for a month, followed by at the office for another month.

I am not sure whether I should worry, call the doctor, assume I got a little carried away, or what?
Thanks for listening!

obxpelican

Re: New pain at four months post resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »
Debbie,

You sound like you are doing very well, I would take it easy a day or so, ice up your hip when possible and take some ibuprophen if you're permitted to.  It sounds like you've over done things and sometimes it just takes a little time to rest for your hip to feel better.

If you are feeling really sharp pains when you put weight on your hip I would say contact the doctor, but if your hip is just a bit sore I would rest, ice and relax and see what happens.

I know post-op 4-6 months sometimes if I overdid things my hip would remind me that I had surgery not long ago.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Debbie

Re: New pain at four months post resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »
I have read people saying that they could tell when they had over done it.  I just didn't think walking was really overdoing it.  I guess I need to get back on track with my patience.  :-\

It was pretty painful the first day, but is much less so now.  The frustrating thing is that the pain reminds me some of how it felt prior to surgery.  It has been long enough now that I forget exactly how bad it had gotten and I'm sure I'm just being overly dramatic.  As good as it had been feeling, it seems like I should be able to do whatever I want to.

Thanks for the reminder that it really has not been that long.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat