+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Weeks Post Op on Friday  (Read 9771 times)

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
6 Weeks Post Op on Friday
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:28:34 AM »
I went to see my physio yesterday.

He was very pleased with my progress. I had been doing some exercises with some therapy bands, and using my stationary bike.

I now have a very slight limp, which is caused by the weakened glute muscles on the operated side. I have got some new bands to help recover them back to the correct state.

I have been given the ok to go back in the gym and use treadmill, crosstrainer and stepper which is great news. I want to put some muscle back on my legs.

Also asked about golf and was advised to do some work with short irons at the range, and leave it a few weeks before playing a full round on a course.

It is true what posters on here say though you do make progress. Each week gets better and better.

I would always say though do what the physios ask you to.

Gav
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Double Hipster

Re: 6 Weeks Post Op on Friday
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
Good luck Gav, keep it up, I'm on my 3rd week post op after Mitch on left hip, still walking with crutches outdoors, indoors ok, can do about 2 miles a day, legs still like spaghetti, so interested in those bands. I see my physio next wednesday, so I'll be interested in some new exercises.

I wish you well, I had my right hip done 7 years ago, a birmingham, was back playing golf 4 days a week competitively after 6 months with no side effects, although I could swing much earlier than that. Take it easy...

cheers Murray
One careful owner
Right hip a BHR by Mark Bloomfield September 2003
Left hip a Mitch by Dean Michael October 2009
The rest still in original, if tarnished condition !!

Gav

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:54:01 AM »
Hi Murray

Thanks for that. Went in the gym last night, whilst my daughters were at swimming training.

Did half an hour on crosstrainer, 10 mins on stepper, and half an hour on treadmill walking on an incline. It was good to get back there mate.

The bands that the physio gave me are called therabands, and they have all different levels of difficulty. They are used to redevelop the glutes. I am now walking with a slight limp, but my new exercise program should help get rid of it.

Area around incision is a bit tender though, especially after driving.

Good look with your recovery and keep me posted.

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Double Hipster

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:13:44 AM »
Thanks for the update, I will ask about the therabands, I have reactivated my gym membership from 1st Nov and hope for medical clearance ( that would be 5 weeks post op ) , so I plan to follow your lead, we seem to use similar equipment, in addition I plan to add a bit of static bike. My three weeks are up on monday, physio on tuesday and surgeon on wednesday.

I will let you know how it goes, keep on going, you're doing great ....

How old are you by the way ??

Cheers Murray
One careful owner

Gav

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
Hi Murray

I'm 42 mate. My arthritis occured as a reward for roadrunning!

I have an exercise bike at home. I have never really liked the ones in the gym to be honest. They are too hard to pedal, even when you are fit! I just use the one at home for an easy session instead of going to the gym.

Might try the driving range tonight though!!!!!

Regards

Gav
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:51:42 AM by Gav »

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

armondi

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »
Gav,
I'm encouraged by your age and progress. I'm about 6 weeks post-op and 41 years of age.  I also have a stationery bike in the basement, hooked up to the computrainer. They say to ride without resistance for 6 weeks, but honestly, that is pretty lame. What resistance level did you use and did you work up a pretty good sweat? I need to really work some of the fat I've gained in the last six weeks!
Thanks
Al

Gav

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »
Hi Al

I have a magnetic bike. Have been doing 5 out of 8 on resistance level which is still quite tame compared to the gym ones.

I think I'm doing ok, because I'm fairly young for this op, and I went to the gym up until 3 days before the op. I would have gone the night before, but my daughter needed a lift somewhere to change faulty goods!!!! So dad gave in yet again!!!

Have tried to follow the advice of the physio, but I can't say I have followed the programme like he would have wanted!!! I think it's my age that has counted for me ie bone density, and the fact I was in resonable shape when I went in.

So much so I'm contemplating playing 9 holes of golf tomorrow if someone will tie my shoelace for me in the car park!!!

What was the cause of your arthritis as a matter of interest?

Keep me informed of your progress.

Regards

Gavin

PS I don't work up much sweat on my bike at home it's too tame!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:15:27 PM by Gav »

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

armondi

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
Gav,
I'm the typical type-A runner-cyclist/hiker that loves to overtrain. That's really all I can determine was the cause of my OA. The right hip has the same problem, but the doc waived me off surgery for now until it becomes symptomatic.

I have a little one on the way in December, so I'll be glad to get back in shape before he/she arrives... I know I'll lose a lot of sleep and be tending to the needs of the wife as she recovers!

Take care, friend.
Al

Double Hipster

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
Saw the Physio today, she seems pleased, I am on 3 weeks post op and can walk without the crutches, though I've still not got clearance from surgeon to do so, hopefully dressing off and full clearance 2moro !!

Been given the Therabands in various colours and strengths to built muscle back up, look forward to getting into those and to extend my 2mile daily walks.

Hope to get clearance for Gym, Swimming and Static bike from surgeon 2moro.

At 51, I'm a bit older than you guys, mind you I was 45 when I had my first hip done, Rugby and Squash contributed to my problems, but mainly Rugby I think as I had two major back operations in my 30's that left my body out of alignment, and the surgeons think that that caused uneven wear on my hips. The thinking then was 'train through pain', in retrospect, don't think it was the right thing !!
  ;D ;D
Cheers Murray
One careful owner

Tekka

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »
Hey Murray

I can relate with the mindset about training through the pain, I remember before being diagnosed with having no joint space....I would stretch,stretch and stretch a bit more, then train like a mad.

I note you a Chelsea fan, we are in the prep this season, I am a life long Wolves supporter " a dingle to my friends". You had a bit of a slip the weekend mate...Lampard and Decko together...not sure about that.

You seem to be making really good progress.

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Double Hipster

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:44 AM »
Het Terry,

I'm a 'life long Blue' been going since I was 7, my wife and myself are members so I'm looking forward to going back ....my friends enjoy it though as they've been getting my tickets !!

My mate's nephew Steve Kemp is your Physio at Wolves, I like the way you play and wish you luck, it's very difficult in this division as you know as the 'top' teams get loads of money for playing in Europe etc etc, invest it in expesive players and so it goes on. The good news for the neutrals and other teams is that it is far from certain who will be in the top 4 this season.

Like to think that CFC will win, but who knows ... Deco/Lampard I agree same problem as Gerard/Lampard in the England set up.

Anyway, good luck to you, done my walk for the day, off to put my Therabands on .... Deep Joy !!
One careful owner

Gav

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
Hi Fellas

I think that the Wolves physio Steve Kemp was our physio for a while at Preston, but he got offered his dream job at Wolves and couldn't turn it down.

As such our treatment room has been full ever since! Perhaps that's why we haven't quite made it to the Prem. Not for lack of opportunities though! We've been in the playoffs 4 times in eight seasons and never managed it! Perenniel bridesmades us!

We have never won promotion via the playoffs in 9 attempts! We'll have to do it automatically this year!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway back to you guys keep doing well. I'm feeling great today. Limp has almost gone and driving causes me hardly any grief now. The main thing that set me back was last Saturday, when I went up to the golf club driving range. Physio said it would be ok to hit some short iron shots, but what do you think I was hitting?...............................................................You guessed it woods and my driver!!!!! Not so good after 100 or so balls!!! I knew straight away afterwards that the physio was right!!!!

You both keep me posted.

Best Regards

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Double Hipster

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:37 AM »
Steve was at Preston for a few years, I know he really enjoyed it there as did my mate who said the set up was great. Good luck with PNE

Saw the surgeon last night, dressing off, OK to drive, OK for Bike, OK for swimming and best of all OK to shower .. ( i only had dissolvable stiches and sera-strips and a dressing so getting it wet was an issue). The introduction on the therabands is PAINFULL, but its gotta be done !!!

Watch the golf mate, that transfer of weight at speed especially on long clubs is quite extreme, I remember from when I played squash that 8 times your body weight went through your knees when you stop suddenly. I would think a golf swing must be at least twice, ( but that's a guess ) thru your hips

Take it easy, cheers Murray
One careful owner

Gav

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 07:46:35 AM »
Hi Murray.

Sounds like you are doing really well mate.

Good on you.

Keep us posted.

Gav

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

armondi

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
Gav,
How is the cycling going? I hope you're doing well and your golf game is progressing well.

I've increased my treadmill walk and was cleared by the doc to kick while freestyling in the pool.  He told me "don't work up a sweat" on the bike/elli[tical or treadmill...for the next year... REALLY?! That's about the only thing that keeps me sane.

Anybody else have a doctor tell them something similar?
Thanks

Gav

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »
Hi Al

Went to the gym last night whilst my daughters were at swim training. It seems that the medical profession has different opinions as to what you should and should not do.

Last night I did 30 mins on crosstrainer on setting 12 out 0f 25. I'd usually do 14. Did 25 mins on treadmill with incline 13 and 6.00 km/h.I'd usually do max incline 15 at 6.50 km/h, so hardly less than normal. Did 10 mins on stepper on level 8/9 where I would normally do level 12 or so. Found that hard going though!! :(

Don't know about the golf though. It's been quite wet for last few days in Lancashire, and our course is a moorland course. I'm mindful of slipping and damaging the hip. One clever member played golf soon after THR and slipped causing a disclocation. I might head to a driving range on Sunday, but it will be short irons only. My friend in Cumbria is a member of a course which is well drained, so we are thinking of playing there in a few weeks time, which is what I'm working towards.

I am going to go to the gym tonight again.

Regards

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Double Hipster

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:15:06 AM »
Its funny, advice differs, my surgeon says 'crawl' kick is OK, but not to do breast stroke 'frog kick', so I was cleared on front crawl from day one in the pool. Good luck with the golf, my club is a riverside, parkland course that drains well, but is really slippery, like you i'm worried about taking a tumble and screwing up the good work so far. Lets hope the weather gets a bit better, good luck to you both. have a grat weekend Murray
One careful owner

pashley

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 07:09:14 AM »
Hi, I'm 11/7 post op today and feeling really positive about getting back to gym etc having read all your posts(felt very down yesterday so thanks  :)) Hope to eventually run again  ;D

BHR Mr Mcminn Brum uk
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

Gav

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 08:31:14 AM »
Hi All

I'm 9 weeks post ob on Friday.

I can do most things, but I still have a pain in my groin area, which is taking time to clear.

That said, it doesn't stop me going to the gym, but I thought it would have cleared up by now. Still have some clunking when carrying our certain movements like cycling on stationary bike.

I guess we all want to get fit as soon as possible don't we.

Hope I've not been doing too much in the gym!

Gav

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

larry2458

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
Hi All

I'm 9 weeks post ob on Friday.

I can do most things, but I still have a pain in my groin area, which is taking time to clear.

That said, it doesn't stop me going to the gym, but I thought it would have cleared up by now. Still have some clunking when carrying our certain movements like cycling on stationary bike.

I guess we all want to get fit as soon as possible don't we.

Hope I've not been doing too much in the gym!

Gav
is the pudding run not a goer then ??
lbmh 16th october 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat