+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking forward to no pain!  (Read 15802 times)

jack

Looking forward to no pain!
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:14:26 AM »
Hi,

I just joined the site. I was diagnosed with OA  in 2006 and told that I would need a right hip replacement at some point but that I should wait as long as possible since I was in my early 50's. Intermittent pains had been occurring for a year or two previously. My second opinion concurred. Neither of them do resurfacing so it took some research on my part to find out about it. Initially after finding out I talked with my OS about it and he told me that there were many complications with the procedures and it was way too new for him to start doing them although he did offer to refer me if I wanted. I don't believe he knows the stats on different Doctors though as he was going to send me to Rochester and there is nobody on this site from that area with a lot of experience.

Now that I believe the time has come for surgery I started doing my research again and found this site. What a resource and I wanted to thank all involved for taking the time to offer such information to the world! I found out about Dr Clarke in Syracuse and since I am only about an hour west of him I made an appointment for a consult. This will be happening in a couple of weeks. Everyone here speaks highly of him as a surgeon and coupled with the location it made the choice easy.

Anyway, thanks again for all the wonderful information here. Keep up the great work! I will post again and keep my story updated.

Jack
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

obxpelican

Re: Looking forward to no pain!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:01:45 AM »
Hey,

Glad to hear you are on your way to pain free walking, you sound like you're way over the shock of realizing you need a new hip now is the time to look forward to pain free walking like your subject says.

Dr. Clark has a number of very happy patients on this site.

Keep us posted.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jack

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
I met Dr. Clarke today and was very impressed. He seems to have patient concerns at the forefront. He took lots of time and talked in depth with my wife and I and answered all of our questions about my procedure.

I am at ease with him doing my procedure. It's a good feeling. We have tentatively scheduled my surgery for next May. This is what fits my schedule. On this site it says he has done over 550 resurfacing procedures but today he told me the count is over 800 now. Even better!

My BHR Story

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »
Sounds like everything is on track for you now Jack.

Keep in touch.

Thanks for the update on Dr. Clarke's stats.  I will update them.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jack

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »
Thanks Pat    :)

My BHR Story

markkenter

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »

How are you doing Jack?

jack

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
Well, I am still plugging.... the pain has gotten pretty bad but my surgery is in just a few weeks now.... the 12th of may. We have a child getting married next week so that is why I put off the surgery.... so that I would not miss out on the festivities!!

My BHR Story

Margie

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »
Hi Jack,
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I also waited a bit longer for surgery due to my granddaughters first birthday, so I understand.
I had my surgery with Dr. Clarke in March and I am very pleased with my progress. You are right, he is very easy to talk to and will take the time to answer any questions that you may have. His office even called a couple of days after I got home to see how I was doing and to be sure that I was receiving in home nursing care and physical therapy.
Community General hospital was also very good. They have a class that is held on the new orthopedic floor of the hospital for joint replacement patients. The class includes information on the surgery, pain medications, physical therapy, and what you will need for your return home. It was very helpful for me as well as for my husband.
I am also an hour away from Dr. Clarke and feel very blessed that we have someone of his experience so close.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing and have a wonderful time at the wedding!
Margie
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

jack

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:47:53 AM »

Thanks Margie. I just found the notify feature so I will get updated on responses to this thread unlike the 4 months it took me to respond to the last one.... sorry bout that   :-[

I received a call yesterday from SOS and am scheduled for the pre-op review with the RPA on the 28th. They sure seem like a first class operation there. Today I go to give my first of 2 units of blood in prep for surgery. We get back from North Carolina on the 27th from the wedding.

The last 5 weeks I have spent running to Rochester as my Mom was in the hospital/rehab and we are finally bringing her home today. This was a horrific experience and their ineptitude nearly killed her.... I could go on and on about this but the end of this tunnel is clearly in sight now.

I feel fortunate to have been able to plan and select whom will be working on me. We live about in the middle between Rochester and Syracuse and have always gone Rochester way for services like this. I look forward to something new and, I'm thinking, way better than past experiences.

Its been very hectic lately and will be for a little while yet around this household. The rest and rehab after surgery is actually sounding pretty good....  kinda weird really.... lol

My BHR Story

Margie

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
I am so glad that your Mom is doing better and sorry to hear it was a bad experience for your family. It is always hard when the roles in life are reversed, but it feels good to give back to those we love. (remember that when you are the one needing the care)
At the hospital they will supply you with a hip kit, which will have a grabber (that will help you reach things and put on clothing), a sock puller, a long shoe horn, and a leg lifter (which will help you to lift your leg and position it) They also will send you home with a lifter for your toilet (so you do not break the 90 degree rule) The prices were actually less than what I could have purchased them for so it is worth it. If you can borrow a walker do that ahead of time so you have it to get home. I also had a cane handy at home ahead of time and by day 5 I was ready for it. As others have mentioned, so you may already know this, but a good recliner is a life saver. I slept in mine for 3 weeks, with a lot of pillows to lean into on both sides and under my legs.
A lot of this you may already know, but I thought if I could help at all in your rehab time....
Keep us all posted and have a great time at the wedding!
Margie
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

jack

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
Had a hitch in the plan pop up. I received a call today from Dr. Clarke's office. They said that Dr. Clarke would do the surgery as scheduled but then he would be unavailable for the next 4 days or so. If there were any complications his team would handle them.

I don't really know what to think on this one. My understanding is that with this procedure it is important to get the most experience and best expertise available. While he may be doing the procedure, what if there are troubles in the first few days ahead? I know the chances are slim, but hey, it happens. Then what? My choice for Dr. Clarke might be for nothing if someone else has to go back in to perform more work......

I was on my way out the door at the time and could not take time to make a decision. I still have not made one that I am comfortable with but.....  I am thinking that if I can delay for one week it should work out ok. I really don't want to wait any more than that and if I do, the blood I had drawn will expire. Or I can go ahead as planned and hope for the best...  what to do, what to do...... I will have to call them tomorrow and get the decision made as time is drawing near. I hate when things like this happen!!

My BHR Story

jack

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »
Got it worked out. I rescheduled for the 19th which is one week later. All is well   ;D

My BHR Story

Margie

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 01:05:30 PM »
So glad to hear it. I could tell you were worried, and I don't blame you.
Margie
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

jack

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »
A little addendum to my story...

With the release of new information at the beginning of May regarding the BHR as best in its class, I started to think about my Dr. saying he would use the Cormet. After much, much thinking and research about the subject, I called the office and expressed my desire to receive the BHR.

I got a return call the next day stating that Dr. Clarke said that due to my size he would prefer to use the Cormet due to the ease with its instrumentation but would use the BHR if that is my desire. I am 6' 0" @ 250lbs. and big boned, large frame.

This is just my decision.... ymmv

My BHR Story

jack

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »
Ok, I am back!
My procedure went through without a hitch and I am now an official hippy! 

On the day of surgery- the 19th

Checked in around ten. Was supposed to be there at ten thirty. The tool me back in no time and started getting me ready. My procedure was scheduled for twelve thirty but Dr. Clarke was running early. I had a consult with the anesthesiologist who gave me the option of general or spinal. I choose the spinal. Before you know it, I had kissed my wife and was on my way around 11. They had a bit of trouble getting the spinal injection in but finally they got it. That's about the last I remember.

Next thing I knew I was awakened to the cute little assistants face with a huge smile and telling me that everything went well and I had received my resurface!! This was wonderful news. I cannot say enough about the spinal. I woke up clear headed except for the oxy they gave me before the procedure. That was not really bad though. The spinal nums you from the waist down and I was the most comfortable that I had been in years, Totally relaxed and totally pain free.

Recovery room had me for a while, not really sure but soon I was headed to my room. The ortho wing of Community General in Syracuse is exceptionally nice. It is totally remodeled and super nice looking. All of the staff was great. Can't say enough about the place. It was a very positive experience.

The next few hours the spinal had not worn off so there was no pain. When it did they gave me more oxy. I also had a morphine button to use. I used it the first night but it didn't seem to do much. The pain was tolerable though. There was also a pain ball with a tube entered right into the surgical site.

I woke a lot that night and hit my pain button each time, I thought anyway. The next day was pretty good. They removed the morphine and just gave me some oxy. That must not agree with me as when they got me up I got light headed, woozy and sweaty. So I only walked a short bit the first day after surgery. No more of that oxy for me!

I did ask for tylenol and that was it from there on.

Day two after surgery found me in much better shape. I must have astounded them in PT because I did everything with seemingly ease and walked back to my room the entire way. I did the stairs as well so I came home on day 2..... and now I am home typing this our.... 

Overall a very positive experience. My pain is tolerable, and really only present when I work on excises to increase my rom.I am resting comfortably with no meds at the present.

Dr. Clarke told me when asked that my installation was perfect! Also that I had received a 56mm BHR. The largest is 58 I guess so mine is nearly the largest due to my large frame.

I am typing this on the wifes laptop as I didnt feel like getting to my pc just yet. Maybe tomorrow so if I have made mistakes or think of anything else I will add them tomorrow.

Cheers!

My BHR Story

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »
Hi Jack

Congratulations on your new hip - you are an official Surface Hippy.

Glad to hear things are going well for you.  I hope they continue that way.  You will have a great summer being out of pain.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jack

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi all!

Today is day seven post-op for me. Things are going good and I am burning up the carpet with my walker.  ;D I haven’t taken any Tylenol in a couple of days and the pain is 0 most of the time. If I do have any pain, its really slight.

PT will be here today for their second session. My therapist is both a PT person and also a chiropractor. He seems amazingly knowledgeable and is also looking into the torn rotator cuff that I have been dealing with for a little over a year.

Just thought I would check in and say hi to everyone and wish you all well. Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can swing my leg over my motorcycle again and go for a ride……

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:32:43 PM by jack »

My BHR Story

DirkV

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 03:02:46 AM »
Hi Jack, Great to hear that your recovery is progressing well. I'm sure I shared your frustration with swinging a leg over, in my case, a bicycle. Before surgery, I had to almost lay the bike down flat to step over, and then pull it up. I imagine that would be more difficult with a motorcycle :). On a good day, I could ride, on a bad day, I wouldn't have the ROM to even step over the pedal as it made its circuit.
I'm now 2 yrs post op, and recently I've really been trying to be aware of the blessings of "getting my active life back," and that comment of yours is one that I recently experienced. You will soon swing the leg over, and it will be great when you aren't in pain from the hip, but rather take it a bit slowly and deliberately in order to get a little stretch in while mounting the bike.
Good luck,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

jack

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »
Hey Dirk,

My Dr. told me that the 90 day restriction would last 60 days. I don't know if that varies from patient to patient or not with him but I will respect his rules. It's not really that long and will only be mid july when the time is up. That will leave lots of summer left to get out and about. If I can't ride the bike, I can deal with that I guess but I think it will work out. Swinging the leg over is half the battle. Supporting the machine at rest is the other half but thats not that hard.

I do have an old Diamond Back bike out in the garage that needs a bit of fixing and have been thinking about taking up bicycling as well. It may be cheaper to just get a new one than to fix this one up. Time will tell I guess. No plans for hard core riding, but just for getting some good exercise.

I got out the forearm crutches today and found that I can move around really good and stable with just one in my left hand. The walker is soon to be history, if not already,  but it served me well while it was needed.

My BHR Story

jack

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 07:32:55 AM »
Today is post op day 13 and I am heading to the PA for my first follow up.

The doctor did have me taking indomethacin which is an NSAID. I am going to assume this works as a blood thinner as well. At day 8 post op I called the doctors office and told them that I was developing a rash from this drug and they said to stop taking it. I was getting red patches with white scaly crap like psoriasis pop up. Once stopping the indomethacin it started to resolve quickly.

I started taking my 81mg aspirin on my own as they did not say anything about it. Hope this is enough of a dose to ward off clots as this topic has come to my attention recently.

Also, I am keeping my leg elevated a lot with "toes above heart". Dr. Clarke Said there is no need to wear the Ted stockings so I have not done that.

I am also looking for a natural nsaid as I need something for the arthritis inflammation in other areas of the body such as my back. I also have a torn rotator cuff in the left shoulder that has started screaming at me without the nsaids.  I took Celebrex for 3 years or so prior to surgery. This caused terrible bowel movement issues and stomach troubles (heartburn) as well. Once off of it, things started working normally again and I also quit the prilosec (taken for heartburn) as well with no issues so far... knock on wood.

I have ordered some megared and am looking closely at sam-e. Although expensive it may be worth it for increased quality of life if it works like it claims.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:39:54 AM by jack »

My BHR Story

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat