+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: OK, just over 7 years out & feeling GREAT!  (Read 2234 times)

bgibby1

OK, just over 7 years out & feeling GREAT!
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »
Hey all,

Just got an email from someone that saw an old post of mine from a couple years ago.

It's been over 7 years (10/10/2002) since my left C+ installation by the fabulous Doctor Boyd in Salem, OR.  I just turned 47 and have had ZERO complications from the hip implant.

I am very active.  Mostly just golf now and I pack my clubs quite a bit, but my business keeps me moving and on my feet most of the day.  I was playing basketball for a few years, but after a scary knee incident I have mostly decided to give up that sport.

To everyone on the fence about this procedure because of advice from friends & uninformed doctors- I am living proof that this is the best solution for a young, active person to re-gain a normal life.  Sure, the recovery is a bitch, but that is a long faded memory for me and I honestly don't even think about the fact that I have a replacement joint until I go to the airport for my automatic free feel-up.

The truly sad thing is that I have given (preached) advice to 5 or 6 other people I know that needed a new hip and only 2 have seen the light.  Those 2 have been transformed by Doctor Boyd.  Unfortunately I know of at least one person that took the advice of the local ortho that first looked at me and this person is having complications from the "minimally invasive" hip replacement he had.

I have been asked by a couple of people reading this forum when about how I knew the time was right for the surgery.  Before the surgery I could still walk unassisted, but I couldn't sleep worth a damn & I was grumpy most of the time from pain- I WAS NOT MYSELF ANYMORE.  If your life has changed because your hip is toast and you can't do the things you really want to (especially normal day-to-day activities)  I would say the time has come to fix the problem.

Brian,

Bandon, OR
Left C+, 10/10/2002
Dr. Harold Boyd

Tekka

Re: OK, just over 7 years out & feeling GREAT!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »
Hey Brian,

I love reading these post's, it makes you realise we have made the right decision....long live the re-surfacing.

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

JeanM

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »

Very Cool!
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
Great to hear it!  I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary, and I am so glad that I did it!  I can still remember walking back from the restroom to my desk at work probably a few month after my surgery) and it dawned on me that my hip pain was truly gone!  What a revelation!  I had gone a good 3 years with extreme pain prior to that.  I could not do anything anymore because the pain had gotten so bad.  I didn't even want to do the things that I loved.  I had gotten very depressed.  And sleepless nights made it even worse.  And then I had a couple of doctors tell me "you're too young" to get a hip replacement.  What, was I going to have to wait until I got "old" to get help???  Then, I started doing my own research and found out about the resurfacing and then found this website.  Having the surgery basically changed my life (or at least the life I had been living for the last few years).  Yes, the recovery was tough!  For the first few days in the hospital I was cursing myself for doing it.  Then the first week at home was hard to deal with because I had to depend on my family to take care of me.  Once I got past the worse part of the surgical pain, I realized that the old pain was gone! 

Like bgibby1 said, if you're on the fence about doing it.............it was worth it!  When you have the revelation that you are no longer experiencing the hip pain that used to rule/ruin your life, it will be amazing! 

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
Confuscious say,
 "If you find yourself on top of fence, you should have used gate"

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
Confuscious say,

"Man who run in front of care get tired"

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM