+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Belgium ortho surgeons  (Read 3048 times)

Carole Johnson

Belgium ortho surgeons
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:07:02 AM »
Hi, I have booked bilateral hip resurfacing with a Belgium doctor named Frank DeGendt. I see that most of you have gone to DeSmet...also in Belgium.
Has anyone gone to DeGendt??  The cost for DeSmet is less and he would do BOTH hip simultaneously....unlike DeGendt..who would allow a week between the surgeries. I am 65 years old..have been working out for 25 years and want to remain ACTIVE. Has anyone there had BOTH hips done at once? Also, how does if feel to go to a hotel after surgery With DeGendt I stay in the hospital for total 22 days. I found out I could SWITCH to DeSmet as he has an opening that correlates to my airline ticket.  Any input would be helpful.  ANYONE USED DEGENDT for surgery???  CArole Johnson  overview24-7@sbcglobal.net

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Belgium ortho surgeons
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:41:19 AM »
Hi Carole

I had Dr. De Smet give me a BHR in March 2006 when I was 61.  I don't know anything about De Gendt.  I belong to the large Yahoo Surface Hippy Group of over 6000+ people and have never heard of anyone using him.  How did you find out about him?  I would ask him how many hip resurfacings he has done.  Dr. De Smet has done over 2700 hip resurfacings and over 3000 thr.  He does many revisons for people from all over the world that have had bad surgeries from other doctors.  He is very well known and very experienced.

I personally went to him because I know of probably almost 100 people from the Yahoo group that have been to him. There are actually, I think, 30 people alone from Madison WI, that have gone to him.  If you look at my hip stories you can see many posted here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php  Both Kani and Michelle had bi-lat surgery at the same time in December last year. They kept in touch while there were in Beligum.  Most of the De Smet hippies from the Yahoo Group keep in touch while in Belgium.

I really like De Smets set up for post op recovery.  You spend 2 1/2 days in the hospital for 1 hip and a little longer for 2, then you go to the Villa for rehab. Kani stayed in the hospital 4 days. You are with everyone else and get great PT from De Smets team.  He is also there to watch over you.

I liked being at the hotel at 2 1/2 days post op because I was with my hubby and all my new friends. THere were 8 of us and we ate together and partied togther every night.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn. That was before the Villa.  The Villa is wonderful and people rave about it.

I would read the stories from the De Smet patients on my Hip Stories page.  You can also download my free 65 page book about my Belgium experience  http://www.surfacehippy.info/belgium&mybhrebook.php

Personally, I knew so much about De Smet that I would only want to go to him.  We have all been there and done that.  We know about the hospital, the doctor and the rehab facility.  I can't say enough about Dr. De Smet.  I would go back to him if I needed my other hip done or needed a revision (hopefully that will be never)

I would seriously think about using De Smet unless you can find out a lot more about De Gendt.  If he doesn't have the facility set up like De Smet where you will be with other hippies for support, I would again consider De Smet.

Oh, I forgot, that I would not want to be in any Belgium hospital for 22 days - no fun at all.   They give you very light meals in the hospital.  I would not look forward to 22 days in the hospital.  De Smet hippies for one hip only stay in Belgium 9 to 10 days post op, then you fly home. Meanwhile you are at the Villa with wonderful food, personal attention and PT. Go about half way down this page and check out the food  http://www.surfacehippy.info/kanirowland.php

Let me know what else I can help you with.  You can also email me privately if you want to   pwalter@surfacehippy.info

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:26:12 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:30:51 AM »
I personally would switch to DeSmet in a heartbeat.  He is one of the top resurfacing surgeons in the world.  I have never even heard of DeGendt.  That's just my opinion.

Vicky
LBHR Dr. Bose Dec 01 05

Chief

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:42:40 AM »
Hi,

I can't remember her name, but a woman wrote a book about this.  She had both hips done in one surgery by De Smet.  I think the name of the book is Hip Resurfacing or Hip Replacement, A story of choices, or something like that.  That author seemed really high on De Smet.

Why are you going to Europe?  Do you live near the West coast?  There is Dr. Amstutz, in Los Angeles, who has done over 1,000 resurfacings.  Many speak highly of him.

How are you feeling?  What is your pain or discomfort level?  What kind of shape are you hip joints in?  How long have you put off the surgery from first symptoms?  Do you have any joint cysts?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  I'm considering the surgery myself.

Good luck,
Chief

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:17:17 AM »
Hi Chief

The book is Peggy Gabriels book Hip Replacement or Hip Resurfacing
http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Replacement-Resurfacing-Story-Choices/dp/1410765652/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I also wrote a 65 page book about Belgium and my BHR  it is a free pdf download here
http://www.surfacehippy.info/belgium&mybhrebook.php  Many people choosing to go to Dr. De Smet have read it.

I also have many wonderful, detailed stories from De Smet hippies posted here
http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php

Many of us go overseas to go to the really experienced surgeons.  Dr. De Smet has done over 3000 hip resurfacings to date and over 3000 THRs. Some people go to Dr. Bose in India who has done over 1000 and others have gone to Mr. McMinn having done over 4000 and Mr. Treacy who had done over 4000.

The more experienced surgeons in the US are just approaching the 1000 mark.  Hip resurfacing has been done overseas since 1997.  It is a given that younger people just get hip resurfacings instead of THRs.  The US is way behind the rest of the world in many of the newer surgical procedures.

Keep asking questions - take some time to do some serious reading.  You will find the answer soon and know when you want surgery and who you want to do it for you.

Pat - Webmaster/Owner Surface Hippy
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat