+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking back at surgery week  (Read 1763 times)

mpschrader

Looking back at surgery week
« on: October 24, 2009, 07:01:55 PM »
I've been looking at this site for a few months now but have not posted much.  As I got closer to my surgery (last Monday) I became obsessed with "new posts."  My wife threatened to lock up the lap top.  She doesn't understand the comfort that this site provided. As I reflect on the past week, I came up with this "worst ten" list.
10.  noisy nurses on the midnight shift, my room was in front of the nurses lounge
9.  The removal of the catheter on day 2 (not painful just scary)
8.  The anxiety leading up to the removal of the catheter
7.  Hospital Chicken Pot Pie (twice)
6.  Hospital equipment made for short people (I'm 6'5")
5.  The removal of the drain in my incision (not painful, just weird feeling)
4.  The 3 hour wait in admissions prior to surgery. 
3.  trying to sleep with the big wedge of cheese between my legs
2.  having blood taken 12 times from the same place
1.  Without a doubt, the worst part of the experience was the anxiety I felt before surgery.  It's all I could think about.  I was barely sleeping and eating the week prior.  Once I was wheeled into the operating room I got very calm and everything from that moment on was great.  The care at Good Sam Hospital was fantastic.  Dr. Michael Jacobs was fantastic.  The PT was fun, I actually looked forward to it.  I'm 6 days post and everything is perfect!  I'm not climbing mountains or anything but I look forward to daily progress. 
Thanks for reading, and if you're pre surgery and anxious, relax, it's a piece of cake.
Mark

pamela1130

Re: Looking back at surgery week
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
My surgery was last week also!!!  This is my main points at the hopsital.  I was put in the pediatric ward because orthopedic was full.  They didn't put a catherter put in so after surgery, guess what?  When they determined the fact that I wasn't going on my own the nurses in pediatrics couldn't put it in.  It took the fourth nurse who tried.  They said cuz they could lift my operated leg.  It was scary, but I endured until they brought down an ob-gyn nurse to do it!!!   The whole scencerio went on from 6:00 at night (on and off) until 3:00 in the morning.   Also the anthestia and the pain pills made me sick to my stomache so the first few days all I did was throw up.  But now it is 9 days post op and I am doing wonderful.  I am walking with crutches, the pain is bearable and I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  I am tired and try to rest as much as I can though I am itchy to get doing something.   I hope all continues well with you and I agree, this website has helped alot.  Pam

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »
The surgeon's assistant refered to the days around 9-12 as the magic days when you feel things start to "click".

Your meds from surgery have pretty much run out of your system, you body is doing major healing--- being tired is part of the healing though, look for that to be for the next couple weeks.  Some days I was exhausted.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »
Glad to hear you are both doing well.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts about what happened at the hospital.

Just take it easy now and you will soon be walking around without pain.  Just give your body time to heal and have a little patience.

Keep in touch and Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

resurf

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »
I was very happy to hear that you had a good experience with Dr. Jacobs and Good Sam. i'm healing well at 4 months but the musculature still needs strengthening. You'll find significant improvements at the 6 and 8 week post op marks and every week thereafter. I had some "clunkiness" up until 3 weeks ago but that is almost totally gone; ligaments need a lot of time to heal. Best wishes for continued steady recuperation.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear