+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 13 Month report  (Read 2936 times)

B.I.L.L.

13 Month report
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:30:55 AM »
13 Months ago I had a right bhr with a large incision and a steep (65 degree) cup angle. My recovery was very slow and there was a revision scheduled at 6 months out. Some Dr.s wanted to revise asap and some said to ride it out and give it time, I decided to wait it out and hope for the best. Well it took just over a year but I am very happy with my new hip now. I feel like I hit a plateau from about 8-9 months to a year where I wasn't really improving but at just past the year mark things started to come a little easier. I know this probably isn't too exciting for the guys who were walking at 3 weeks, but after a year of struggling and going back and forth wondering if I should have revised it early or not, and making very slow (if any) progress for weeks on end, to finally feel strong and semi athletic again is a huge relief.  My only real worries now are what issues the steep cup will bring in the next few years, hopefully I will get years of service out of it.  I still have some swelling and pain when I am extra active, but that seems to be getting better too, slowly but surely.  My wife and I had a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to spend 6 days on an aircraft carrier with our daughter in the Navy.  We flew to Hawaii to meet up with her and came back home to Southern Ca. onboard the Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier. The trip took 6 days and nights and we were on our feet and climbing up and down ladders the whole time. I took about 6 or 7 pain pills the whole trip and am happy to report my new hip didn't hinder our vacation at all.  I even caught a few good waves in front of the hotel, had a couple blow its haha but jumping to my feet is getting easier each time I surf. So happy to finally be happy  8)   Heres a surf shot and some pictures I took on the carrier,

Landing right over us from the fantail

Pulling into Coronado past Pt. Loma with the sailors manning the rails

An awesome experience I'll never forget, and I have a whole new respect for the sailors who spend 6 months or more at a time on that ship....  I feel lucky to have been able to experience this trip, especially since I could have never done it before the surgery, It was good timing after all I guess.  Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if your recovery seems slow, keep plugging away you will get there, 8)

bothdone

Re: 13 Month report
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:26:33 AM »
What a great post, BILL.  Inspiring.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
Hi Bill

Great post.  I am glad you are getting around better and feeling better.  I hope everyhting resolves itself with time.

The photos are great!

Thanks for sharing.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tekka

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »
Hi Bill,

I have followed your journey with interest and respect for you mate!!!

Long may you continue to improve....great pics!!!

Regards

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:32:29 PM »
Thanks you guys  8)

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:41:43 AM »
B.I.L.L.
Those pics are sick. It must have been awesome to be on that aircraft carrier. Something you will remember for the rest of your life. Make sure you tell your daughter thanks for her service in keeping us free.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

woodway2

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »
Hi B.I.L.L.
A belated congratulations to you! Yes I am still lurking here and still in a muddle what to do re: my high angle and ions.
Glad to know you are doing well. Sounds like you made the right decision.
Must get to work now but I will post again later.
Nancy

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi B.I.L.L.
A belated congratulations to you! Yes I am still lurking here and still in a muddle what to do re: my high angle and ions.
Glad to know you are doing well. Sounds like you made the right decision.
Must get to work now but I will post again later.
Nancy

Hey Nancy, Yeah the high angle/high ions thing.........  Right now my hip is still improving, it doesn't hurt and I really don't see any reason to go searching for something wrong since I don't have any pain/symptons of a problem. You can always find something wrong with almost anything if you look hard enough. My plan is to enjoy life untill something hurts or starts feeling funny or different I guess.
Right or wrong only time will tell, but that is the plan for now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:42:43 AM by B.I.L.L. »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal