+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I Playing in an over 50 hockey league?  (Read 10580 times)

RUSS H.

Should I Playing in an over 50 hockey league?
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:11:55 PM »
     I am 11 months post op and the hip feels awesome.  I played about 50 rounds of golf this year with no pain.  As winter approaches, I really want to skate again and play hockey in a no check over 50 league.  My only fear is getting knocked down "accidently" and dislocating my hip.  I could play cautiously and stay away from possible "pile-ups", but there are accidents.  I suppose I could slip and fall on ice in my driveway this winter too.  

Anyone playing a sport that has potential injury to the hip?     Russ
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:15:13 PM by RUSS H. »

B.I.L.L.

Re: Should I Playing in an over 50 hockey league?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:14:43 AM »
Should you play over 50 hockey ?  Only if your over 50 I guess.
Isn't that the reason we all got Re-surfaced "Sports Hips"  so we can do all the stupid dangerous things we like to do ?  Depends on how bad you want to do it I suppose, I plan on riding/racing dirt bikes in the over 50 class, (with nice big thick hip pads)  I was gonna wait till 18 months after surgery to race but am going to the desert to start riding again in 3 weeks, (14 months out). I've been trying to "Surf my way back into shape" 2-3 times a week, I'm sure getting bounced of the bottom won't help the new parts one bit, but it's just too much fun to quit, especially after not being able to do it for years.
Should we do all this dangerous stuff at over 50 ? 
Of course not don't be stupid !!...hahaha.  Have fun, 8)

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
Russ,

I am involved in mma and I am now back to a pretty strong level, both stand up and on the floor...so yes I am doing pretty much what I was doing before except I do not take any kicks to the legs.

I have stopped two other sports-:

Five a side football, its just to hard on the joints

Skateboarding, I skate ramps and I know how hard I used to fall...just not worth it.

I think we should remain active it thats what we want, but we must be realistic and show the hip some respect  !!

Best wishes mate

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

stevel

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »
Russ,

I recommend reading "Metal-on-metal resurfacing of the hip in patients under the age of 55 years with osteoarthritis," by Daniel, Pynsent & McMinn.  The article was published in March, 2004 and there may be updates.  In a nutshell "The extremely low rate of failure in spite of the resumption of high level occupational and leisure activities provides early evidence of the suitability of this procedure for young and active patients with arthritis," and "The interim years are continuing to be problem-free and we are yet to find out when the late failures, if any, are likely to occur.  Caution still needs to be exercised until longer term results are available."

Now, who is cautious?  Read all of the athlete's stories on this web site.  They certainly are not cautious.
My Dr. said my device was "Absolutely Perfect" after one year and to "Enjoy it."  The only activitiy he doesn't recommend is running on hard surfaces.  Running to catch a bus is OK, but running marathons on asphalt is not advised.  I never ran much before surgery anyway, so I don't miss it.  I downhill ski the steep slopes and I don't think about wiping out.  I avoid skiing the double black diamonds or jumping off cliffs.  I don't miss it since I didn't do that before surgery.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

pamela1130

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:21:35 AM »
Wow you people give me so much inspiration and hope.  I am 21 days post op today and my goal is to be able to perhaps to take yoga and  an aerobics class.   After reading these posts, I have no doubt I will be able to reach my goal and who knows, I may be able to do much much more.  Thanks, Pam

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »
Hi Russ

There are some Surface Hippies that play hockey.  Check out Tom and his surgeon Dr. Rubinstein on the ice together in his video a part way down his story page  http://www.surfacehippy.info/tom807.php

Maybe you will have a video for me to post next year!

Have fun.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

johnoke

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
I was talking to my surgeon and he said that all of his many hundreds of patients who had resurfacing/replacements that dislocated (way under 1%) were either extremely obese people who fell by accident, or two that were just way too cautious. His advice is to take normal risks. He didn't recommend running marathons, but normal activities are fine. He's also a former college hockey player and coach, so that always makes me feel better!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat