+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal allergies  (Read 3060 times)

lindalynn

Metal allergies
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »
I am looking to talk with anyone who had poor bone growth around theiir implant that had a metal allergy?  Anyone care to share their story with me?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Metal allergies
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:40:04 AM »
Hi

I have a handful of revision stories due to allergies and cup misplacement posted here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacingproblems.php

Most of the metal allergies and ALVAL problems were from acetabular cups not being placed at the proper angle by the surgeon.  When the cup is not at the right angle, the two bearing surfaces rub together improperly and that causes high metal ions.  The high metal ions cause loss of bone growth.

Some people did have a metal allergy that casuses loss of bone growth.  People actually allergic to the cobalt/chrome are in the minority.  Most of the revisions are due to high metal ions. 

People with either problem are normally revised to a ceramic on ceramic, or plastic/metal ball THR so there is no further allergic reaction.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vt waddler

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
Hi Pat, interesting subject. Do you have any links to further info?
The reason I ask, on my radiologist report on xrays taken 2 months ago, it was noted in my left hip, and I'll quote "No acute interval change is identified in comparison to the august study. As in the previous study, ther is subtle demineralization at the interface between the left femoral neck and the prosthesis. This may represent very early resorption of bone, but clinical significance is uncertain"
 You can see the bone is a lighter color on one side, I guess that indicates less density.
Anyone care to interpret? I would appreciate any opinions..thanks

Vt waddler

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
I guess I should have mentioned I am now 17 weeks post surgery, but apparently, this demineralization and resorption was noted in my 1 month post xrays. I forgot to get a copy of that readiologist's report...there is a lesson here, always best to get copies of all your labs!

lindalynn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »
Hello,

I am sorry you are having problems also.  My 3 month x-rays were perfect.  My placement is text book perfect so no problems there.  But my six month x-rays show the bone is not growing into the acetabular cap in some places.  This is disturbing news for me.  I have had a tough time with pain post op and walking and sitting.  My doc said lets rule out infection, which we did with some blood tests.  And lets rule out allergy with allergy tests.  These are positive for allergy to the metals.  Now, what does this mean?  I will talk to my doc this week to find out.  I am hoping to hear from some other people who might have a similar story.  I would like to know what this means for someone who has gone through it.  My lesson here and what I can pass on to anyone thinking about this surgery is even though allergy is very rare. GET TESTED BEFORE surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that noone else has had this problem but if there is someone out there that did.  Please help me understand what may lie ahead.

moe

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »
I'm not sure if there is an accurate allergy test, skin/metal allergies are not the same. I hope your doctor is able to help you.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:00:42 PM by moe »
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

lindalynn

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
Hello,

So you are you saying allergy to metal on skin test would not mean allergy to implant metal?  That would be nice.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
Skin allergies and deep body metal allergies are not the same - completely different.  YOu can have a metal allergy to the skin and not have any problem deep in the body with a hip resurfacing.  I know of several people that are allergic to metals on their skin and have had their resurfacings for years.

You can read more here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqmetalallergy.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dimples

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »
Hi,
I have a pretty bad skin allergy to nickel, but have shown no allergic reaction at all to my Birmingham hip.  I had my hip resurfaced 1 year & 8 months ago.
Delynn
LBHR 4/30/08

lindalynn

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
Dear Delynn,

Thank you so much for sharing that information.  It is reassuring for me to think that maybe I will come out of this okay.  I am 6 months post op and have had unrelenting groin pain and soft tissue pain. Now with the bone not growing into the implant I am starting to feel that maybe I am not going to make it, especially testing positive for metal allergies.  But you email makes me feel much better and have some hope that I to will get better one day.
Again thank you so much.
Lynn

stevel

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:41:27 AM »
Lynn,

Check out Barbara's posts regarding pending revision to THR.  Her cup loosened in less than a year from lack of bone growth.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

lindalynn

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »
Thank you Steve.  I will do so.  Can you tell me where I would find that posting?

Thanks,
Lynn

stevel

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »
Lynn,

Click on "Members", "Barbara" & "show last posts of this person."  The 10th post down describes the problem with the loose cup and possible metal ion wear.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM