+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cane and thank you Pat!!  (Read 2067 times)

pamela1130

Cane and thank you Pat!!
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
Hi, I was walking around without a cane, even though I still had a slight limp.  I have just read on another post by Pat that her doctor advises patients to use a cane until there is no limp so I am going back to the cane.  She went on to explain how the muscles won't heal correctly if your limping without support. She stated that one or two weeks won't make a difference either way and to not worry as this is not a race to see how quickly you can walk around unassisted.  I am now 6-1/2 weeks post op.  Anyone else at that stage walking around with a cane?    I just want to thank you Pat for this website and for all your knowledge.   I don't know about anyone else, but it is still early in my recovery and I think about my operation and my recovery quite a bit and it is so wonderful to be able to come here and read about what is "normal" and what is not.   I seem to be a little more obsessed then I thought I would be and want to read everything that I can.  Perhaps that is part of the recovery process also.   Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!  I can't imagine how my recovery would have gone without this website.

Pam
LBHR/10-14-09/Hanmer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Cane and thank you Pat!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »
Hi Pam

Glad you read my advice. Glad it was helpful.  It is from my doctor, not me since I am not medically trained.  If you are limping yet, then something hasn't returned to normal.  I would personally continue to use the cane until you have a good gait.  Sometimes you have to concentrate on taking a full step, touching heel to toe and walk properly to gain that gait back too.  Sometimes, that's where a PT can see if you are not walking with a normal gait and help you concentrate on walking properly.  We often get sloppy when we have bad hips that hurt.  You have to retrain your body. 

Hey - the cane comes in handy during holiday shopping - people move aside! If not - use it to make a path ;D  Things will get back to normal.  Again, we all heal at a different rate. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jonnaramey

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »
I'm at 6 weeks and still using my cane. However, when I take 30-45 minute walks, there are long stretches (5-10 minutes) when I don't use my cane. Every day, the length of time without the cane lengthens.

I start using the cane again the moment I feel my gait getting sloppy or I begin to limp. I know there will be a day when I really don't need the cane, it's just not today. But, I let myself off the hook about it.

My neighbors have been very supportive as I take my frequent walks around the 'hood. They all saw me limping so badly before surgery that they often stop and comment on my obvious improvement. Makes me feel good. Today, one neighbor honked and waved because she saw me walking with the cane on my shoulder for a few minutes.

And Pat is right about people making way for you during the holidays when you walk with a cane... It's all good.
Jonna

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:08:28 AM »
I don't mind using a cane much. Seeing as I cannot wear good leather lace up shoes any more, I have looked around and found a good hard wood cane (not actually a cane as such). If you are going to use a stick, might as well get a good looking stick, and for the time being, be proud of carrying it.

Also, just because you take a cane out with you, does not mean you have to rely on it.

Dan

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:09:14 AM by lopsided »

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat