+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Second BHR and a different recovery  (Read 1811 times)

mark

Second BHR and a different recovery
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »
Hi ,

Thanks for all your posts,  they have really helped.

I had LBHR on Oct 15,2009 by Mr.O'Hara in Birmingham,he also did my first resurface RBHR in 2005.

This time round there has been quite a difference in recovery time which I believe is down to the different proceedures used.
On Oct 15 Mr.O'Hara used a variation of the Harding,anterior,proceedure,which reduces the risk of dislocation.
After the op I was told I could move without worry of dislocation,but I should not put the full weight on my left leg for 4 weeks.This was because one of the muscles was cut laterally and would take 4 weeks to heal....I was advised to use 2 sticks for the first 4 weeks.I  had pain for the first 18 days and quite a bit of swelling ,which I managed to reduce with ice packs.
I can now walk around the house without sticks,but with a limp.Each day I am getting stronger.
I am exercising at the gym and, doing exercises and stretching in the pool,which is a a great way to improve quickly.The pool has been mentally and physically a real boost.Just walking around the pool without sticks gives you the confidence you can walk normally again.

On reflection it appears that your recovery and time with 2 sticks during the first 6 weeks is based on the muscle groups that are cut( the type of proceedure used by your surgeon)

The recovery after my first op was much quicker with less pain,but the risk of dislocation was higher.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Second BHR and a different recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Hi Mark

Congratulations on your second hip.  Interesting information about your 2 recoveries from two different approaches. 

I have followed hundreds and hundreds of post op stories and dislocations from the posterior approach are almost non-existant.  Several I know of were later in recovery and it was because they were pulling their legs to their chest with a lot of force.  The other was a problem with a mis-placed cup.  So normally, although many surgeons use the 90 degree rules for 6 weeks, dislocations are not a problem with the posterior approach. 

Most surgeons that use the anterior approach say the recovery is much faster.  So it is interesint to listen to stories from people that had both kinds of approaches.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.  Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pamela1130

Re: Second BHR and a different recovery
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
Hi, Very interesting information.  I didn't know that about the different approaches as far as healing.  Thank you so much for sharing.   I just had mine done 6 weeks ago, so maybe that is why I seem to be taking longer than others I have read about in the past.  I understand though that everyone heals at a different rate but it does help explain. 

Pam, 10/14/09 - Hanmer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal