+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post Op Questions  (Read 1842 times)

PHBookman

Post Op Questions
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
I had my resurfacing done in Springfield, Il with Dr. Allen a couple of weeks ago. Thinks are going very well and what little pain I have is in the muscle above my knee. I am walking an mile a day with two crutches with no issues. I ahve had no pain meds since 5 days after surgery. My question is that my doctor insists that his patients use both crutches for 6 weeks and no driving. I feel great and my physcial therpist told me I was fine moving to one crutch and saw no reason not to drive. Are others being given extremely conservative restrictions as I am? I don't want to screw things up but I also don't want to continue on the two crutches if I am ready to move on. He also insists on walking as the only excercise that is needed for the first 6 weeks. I am ready to get back to the gym for some selective weight machines as well as stationary bikes. From what I read on these posts, nobody waits 6 weeks when they are feeling good to move on.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Post Op Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:26:36 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  The fact is that you chose your surgeon and I am sure he told you what his post op protocol was. That is always something a patient should ask before deciding on a surgeon. Therefore, you definitely need to listen to him. You paid him a lot of money, had faith in him to cut you open for major surgery and seem to have no problems.  So no matter what other people do, you can't play doctor and decide what you should do.  Listen to your surgeon. There may be reasons for his being conservative.

You don't want to do anything to compromise your new hip resurfacing.

You can't judge your recovery by other people's.  I was on one crutch at 4 days and none at 3 weeks - but my surgeon had done over 3000 resurfacings and that was his typical post op protocol.  That is why I went to him.  When you choose a surgeon, you need to ask the questions about what to expect.  If you decide to break his/her protocol and have an accident diving - you will be resonsible for not having a doctors permission.  Watch what you do.

Be patient and listen to the doctor you paid to do your surgery. You could regret not doing so.  Each persons recovery is their own and happens on their own time schedule. You will have plenty of time to hit the gym in a few weeks.  Again, your physical therapist is not your doctor.  If you want to jump ahead - call your doctors office and ask his permission.

Actually when you say no one waits 6 weeks to go to the gym or drop the crutches - you are wrong.  I know people on crutches for months and have problems for a year.  It depends on the person and their previous hip problem.  So don't feel you are alone waiting to get back into life - you are not.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

Re: Post Op Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:27:56 PM »
All doctors are different, Dr. Gross's surgical assistant told me I could drive 3 days post-op, I got operated on a Wed and Saturday we came back to Pgh and I drove a good bit of the trip back.

My only problem was it was my right hip, so I had to break with my left foot.

Call your doctor again, let him know what your therapist said.

You sound like you are doing really well.  Keep it up!

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM