+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: any tips for travelling alone for hip resurfacing?  (Read 1438 times)

Barbaralynn

any tips for travelling alone for hip resurfacing?
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
I live in Oregon, and after lots of research (thanks much to this site!) I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Gross in South Carolina in Feb. I am currently on 2 crutches, trying to minimize damage and help the pain, and am not too concerned about GETTING there, but am worried about how to manage by myself after the surgery. I'll have surgery on a Wed, and will be back in the hotel for Fri night and Sat, returning home to OR on Sunday. Because of the amount of damage to the hip, I won't be able to put weight on the leg, and will be on crutches. I worry about getting to the toilet by myself in the hotel room, and eating (there's no room service at the Marriott where I'm staying.) Also, the flight - what do you do with your leg? Do you get up and move around (how?) I switch planes in TX, how best to do this? The layover is a couple of hours, how to best manage discomfort, swelling, etc. How to use ice if on a plane and airport?  AAARGH!  I look forward to any comments from someone who may have been there.  Thanks!
Barbara

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: any tips for travelling alone for hip resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
Hi

Have you talked to Lee Webb about your special circumstances?  She would be the best person to talk to.  If you ahve special restrictions, then it might be diffiuclt for you.  Most of us were on one or two crutches and able to get around quite well.  I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and then ate every meal at the hotel when released.  I waited 9 days before flying, but I was in Belgium.  I got up and walked around every hour on the plane.  I did not have any swelling or bruising, so did not worry about icing.

We are all different.  Be sure to ask for wheelchair assistance when ordering your ticket.  Tell them ahead of time, then remind them when getting off the plane.  I was able to walk well, but not fast.  I needed wheelchair assistace at all the airports or I would have missed my planes.  United let me have bulkhead seats for the same price as economy flying back since I was on crutches and a wheelchair patient.   I don't know if you can take ice aboard a plane.  Never did that.  You might take a plastic bag or two and then request some ice from the airplane service. Tell them you have probelms - you will be on crutches and will normally see you are having probelms.  I got to get on the plane first.  That, however, was just my personal experience.  I would hope all airlines would treat people with the same consideration.

You should be able to walk around and do stairs after leaving the hospital.  They teach you while there.  You will move slowly and may have some pain, but you won't be stuck in bed.  It will be diffiuclt to put your socks on and off.  So wear them for a couple days and find someone to help you.  Maybe when the nurse or aid checks on you.  Again, talk to Lee Webb about being alone.  She is great and should have suggestions for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

medgerton

Re: any tips for travelling alone for hip resurfacing?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
Be sure to use the wheelchair service at the airports. They wheel you through security (you go right to the front of any lines). Then they take you to the gate. This helps you conserve energy to use it when you need to walk or get into and out of your seat.  I would not be in a rush to travel. Spend a little more time in the hotel before going home. Don't take your socks off unless there is someone around to put another pair back on for you.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear