+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Months Post Op  (Read 2851 times)

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
3 Months Post Op
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
Have been to see surgeon today.

I still have a sore groin, and sometimes suffer some clunking, but he says I am doing very well.

I have been given the all clear to do some jogging (no major distances) and to resume my golf.

So overall I'm not too unhappy.

I have to go back in a further 9 months time to see him and have an xray to see how things have settled down.

It seems a long time off now.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

hiphurts

Re: 3 Months Post Op
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
I'm right with you Gav, had my right hip resurfaced Sep 18 and so far so good. Groin still a bit tender and right knee to the chest still a bit difficult so I have a ways to go ROM-wise, but just in the past week I've made significant advances. Getting in the pool to swim and do ROM exercises, along with stretching, have made a big difference. All in all, extremely glad I did this.

To anyone on the fence about getting a resurfacing procedure.....do it!!

Gav

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »
Hi hh

Glad you are doing well.

I'm doing ok I guess, but I always compare myself to the musclemen one here, and perhaps I shouldn't.

As you had your op a similar time to me I'd be interested on your progress, so keep me posted.

I'm a 42 year old male from Preston, NW England what about yourself?

I never really suffered from any great pain from the dreaded arthritis, but it was a bit of a handicap to sport. It was a surprise when my initial xrays revealed bone on bone to say the least! So I guess it was spotted quite early, but I was gutted. Should have stayed as a couch potatoe obviously!!

Gav

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

markm

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
Hi Gav, sounds like you were in a similar situation to myself. Still active, but sport was becoming restrictive, and until I went to a PT, I had no idea how restricted I was getting. I consider that I decided to have mine done early also, rather than wait and possibly lose the window of opportunity. I'm 51, operated on Oct 10th, up here in Canada eh. I too am having difficulty with ROM on flexion, right knee to chest. I can only get 90 degrees, without crying! However, I am finally accepting that recovery from surgery was nothing compared to the PT I am going through now. This is the real work, and as hiphurts posted, a week can make a big difference. We/you may have to accept slow is good! The progress reduces down to an extra couple of degrees flexion per week, slow but progress.

As a wake up call on my decision, I went out on the squash court just to volly on my own. That night i had so much pain in my unoperated hip, none in the operated hip. I had forgotten what that was like.

I am finally trying deep massage. I think it is helping. Possibly give that a try also. 
MarkM
Op Oct 10/09 ASR
Dr. Antoniou

halfdone

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »
Hi all.  I had a hip resurfaced in 2006.  I am a competitive (old fart category) swimmer.   I had a good postop recovery and rehab and was active again fairly quickly.  I have been pleasantly surprised that the strength and flexibility of my operated hip has continued to improve with PT/exercise even 2 years plus post surgery.  PT and patience.  :)
Good luck.

larry2458

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »
Hi all.  I had a hip resurfaced in 2006.  I am a competitive (old fart category) swimmer.   I had a good postop recovery and rehab and was active again fairly quickly.  I have been pleasantly surprised that the strength and flexibility of my operated hip has continued to improve with PT/exercise even 2 years plus post surgery.  PT and patience.  :)
Good luck.
thats good to read.i think my hip is continuing to improve 14 months post-op,although i'm getting more clunking.
so,to think that at 2 years you are still seeing improvement gives me great encouragement.my other hip though, is going in the opposite direction and i'm losing a lot of muscle in it plus groin pain etc etc.
                                             cheers half done
                                               larry (half done)
lbmh 16th october 2008

Gav

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:06 AM »
Hi Gav, sounds like you were in a similar situation to myself. Still active, but sport was becoming restrictive, and until I went to a PT, I had no idea how restricted I was getting. I consider that I decided to have mine done early also, rather than wait and possibly lose the window of opportunity. I'm 51, operated on Oct 10th, up here in Canada eh. I too am having difficulty with ROM on flexion, right knee to chest. I can only get 90 degrees, without crying! However, I am finally accepting that recovery from surgery was nothing compared to the PT I am going through now. This is the real work, and as hiphurts posted, a week can make a big difference. We/you may have to accept slow is good! The progress reduces down to an extra couple of degrees flexion per week, slow but progress.

As a wake up call on my decision, I went out on the squash court just to volly on my own. That night i had so much pain in my unoperated hip, none in the operated hip. I had forgotten what that was like.

I am finally trying deep massage. I think it is helping. Possibly give that a try also. 

Hi Mark

Right knee to chest is still a big problem for me even now. I struggle to put my sock on in a morning. Have finished PT now. Consultant says that if the groin does not settle down, then I have to contact him and he will do an ultrasound scan on it. I will give it another 2-3 months to see if it settles.

Sounds like you have the same troubles.

Hope you mend soon.

Regards

Gav

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

pashley

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »
Knee to chest still impossible for me too, doesn't hurt just won't budge, also difficulty with socks, again not painful, having said that both are getting easier doing swimming etc and exercises on Mcminn website.
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal