+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One hip done, riding 5 1/2 months later  (Read 10481 times)

tofu55

One hip done, riding 5 1/2 months later
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »
My husband had both hips done at the same time by Dr. Gross, see previous post. I had my right hip resurfaced on Memorial Day 2009, by Dr. Gross. I started horseback riding 5 1/2 months later. I took it slowly mounting and dismounting the first few times. My fourth time out I went foxhunting for over 2 hours. And have been foxhunting twice since and been out quite a few hours each time. No pain at all in the leg when riding. My leg does swell a bit for the next week but not badly.

Nancy

GillSmith

Re: One hip done, riding 5 1/2 months later
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
Hi Nancy
Thank you for your information about getting back to horse riding - it is years since I have been able to ride - the pain is unbearable. I really hope I can get back to it quickly  .... am still working up the courage to just go for it !

Gillian

Luann

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Wow! You two don't know how excited I am to see this catagory and your posts! I am new to this discussion group... how great is it!
 I have been both a professional and recreational rider my entire life. I am a 45 yr old female (Dr Sparling WA C+ right hip) who just recently had resurfacing- 4 weeks out now. I live to ride and ride to live. I mean it. I am currently showing a reiner and a cutter (on a small budget) that I completely trained myself. I have been a professional jockey (in my younger years!) and have trained/started outside horses as well as my own for a few years, too. I finally had to give up the outside horses when my hip pain was too much to bear (esp. during the round pen work!) I was still riding up to the day of my surgery, but in pain and on Rx'd medication (used very sparingly as to not get addicted). I had already given myself an ulcer using otc pain meds.
 Anyway, the Dr. who did my surgery, baring any unforseen complications, PROMISED me that I would be able to ride as before, in about 3 months post surgery date (June 2 2010). I decided, on my own, that I should quit taking outside horses and starting colts (too much risk in "hitting the ground" if you know what I mean!), but I totally plan to cut, rein, trail ride, sort cattle, and all the stuff I love to do after I have healed.
So far I feel that I am doing great. My Dr. has me on crutches, with permission to bear only 50% of my weight on my operated leg for 6 weeks (only 2 weeks to go). I have another appt with him on July 12th, and on that day I hope to be released to work, walk without crutches, and drive.
Right now I have little or no pain. As I sit here and type, I cannot even tell I had anything done. I can walk really well and, except for a little sore muscles around my incision (about 6 " "curved" in shape situated on the outside and to the back, of my thigh and buttocks) have no pain.
 My biggest concern right now is that I feel that my operated leg is about 3/4 " longer than my other leg. (see my entries on the leg-length section of the disscussion group) The Dr. says it will get better and I will learn to walk evenly and compensate for it. If I don't, I guess I will just have to lengthen my right stirrup a hole :).
 I have a question for the gal who is riding 5 1/2 months later. Were you told to wait this long? Did you have to wait this long due to discomfort? Are you using a mounting block? Are you able to use your operated leg for leg aids well? I would love to know any of this or any more or any one has to share.
 I will keep you all posted on how my rehab, and eventual "back in the saddle" goes! I cant' wait, I am going crazy with boredom!   Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

snoots

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
Hello Luann,
Your Dr is right, I had my left hip resurfaced 27 months ago at age 52 and went back to riding and training my dressage horses 3 months post op. It felt as though I could have ridden sooner but my surgeon wanted to wait and make sure there was good bone growth indicated.
Four months before the operation riding became too painful and I hung up the tack and dragged out the bicycle and rowing machine to try to stay in shape as I couldn't walk very far anymore.
My PT was very impressed and told me I had set myself up very well for a successful rehab. I think the more you can do pre op the better your outcome will be. If you were riding right up to surgery date you should bounce back quickly. Give yourself time to heal though as I can see you have a "need for speed". You are young, there is plenty of time and your horses will wait for you.
You are going to be amazed and will see how much better everything will be. After more than 2 years I continue to get better.
I went to a 3 day horse show last weekend.  spent hours riding, hand walking, stall cleaning,grooming  and everything else that goes along with it.(didn't have a groom)3 years ago 45 minutes would have done me in. Oddly, pre op I could manage schooling in the ring but found trail riding a painful ordeal ending up with me leading the horse home! I use a mounting block probably more so because my 2 horses are 17 and 17.2 hands and I'm 5ft.5. It took a while before I could really swing my leg over with ease. It's best to listen to your body and act accordingly. You will have better leg aids than before with time.
We are schooling pirouettes and flying changes, something I almost gave up on.
I hope things get sorted out soon with your leg length issue, as you prepare for a new lease on life!

Happy trails, Luann,

Terry

Luann

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
Thank you, thank you Terry! I really appreciate your information and encouraging report on your riding endeavors! I cannot wait! I do all my own chores, too, and those were actually harder on me than riding, pre-op. Again, I too, will keep other equestrians posted on my progess. This summer is very sureal, but I am still healing fabulously.  Luann

Jac

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:05:57 AM »
Hi,  So glad I found this website and so glad to find this post!!!  I ride a Reining Horse and the pain of riding, and doing other daily activities finally drove me to the Doctor.  I am scheduled to have my left hip resurfaced August 12th.  I fear I won't be able to ride my Reiner again for months.  Sounds like there is a good chance I can be back on my horse in just a few months.  I am still riding but just don't lope at all.  There are many fundamental exercises I can do at the walk that are things I wasn't paying much attention to previously.  Sounds like one key to a quick and successful recovery is pre op fitness.  I'm sure a little luck helps also.

To the lady that shows Reiners and Cutters, no problems with loping circles and sliding stops. rollbacks now?  How soon were you able to do those things after surgery?

Thanks

Luann

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:30:38 AM »
Hi Jac,
 I am now officially 6 weeks post surgery, and just had my second post-op Dr's appt. Because I am a small framed ( and therefore have small and not-so-dense bone) female 45 yrs, my Dr. considers me higher risk for HR failure, so I feel, after reading many posts on this discussion group, that he is taking a very conservative approach with my recovery activity level. I am so far very excited because I feel great overall and have very little discomfort. I can already (with permission) bend my leg (as long as I do not put my knee towards my stomach) more than 90 degrees, put on my sock, dress without aid, etc. On the "bummer" side, these 1st 6 weeks I only had permission to put 50% max weight on my leg and walk with a walker (only used the first 3 days) then crutches. I just got released at the last appt. to use a cane, and to put just as much weight on my leg as tolerated for the next 6 weeks. I still cannot lift anything over 20 lbs. So needless to say, my cutter and reiner, for the past 6 weeks, have been cared for by my husband and probably think they died and went to horse heaven!! My Dr. does still assure me, however, that if everything goes as planned, I should be riding in approx. 3 months post-op... which will put me into early Sept.
 As you certainly know by being a fellow equestrain, injuries often go with the activity. I have had to "rehab"  several times in my life with various broken bones, etc. I expect that the first few weeks in the saddle will just be easy stuff. I have no idea, really, but in my head, I plan to try to start cutting by early winter. I guess I will just have to wait and see if my plan is quite brilliant or simply wishfull thinking :).
 I am comforted by the fact, that even though my Dr. most likely has no idea what cutting on horseback involves, after descibing it to him (and I tried to make it sound even more intense than it really was) he said I should be able to it fine. As far as the reiner goes, he is a huge and smooth stopper, so I hope that won't bother me much. The spin... I'll just have to wait and see. I do know a gal that has had bilat THR and she shows a reiner just fine, so I think the cutter may be the challenge. I promise I will keep all the equestrains posted on my progress. Please, anyone who rides, let us all know your tials and triumphs. I hang on your every word (thanks again, Nancy). Feel free to email me at home, also. Hope your surgery goes well. Try not to stess too much. I remember being so scared and nervous and it was actually very easy considering all.     Luann

Jac

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Hi Luann,

Your post is encouraging.  I worry that riding like we do may be considered "High Impact".  I'm considering taking my horse to the trainer for 2 months while I recover.  Im actually kind of looking forward to surgery and feeling good again.  My activities have been hindered for quite some time.  Only three weeks to go.  Where do you live?  I'm in Golden, Colorado.

Luann

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
Hi Jac,
 I tried to send you personal messages but didn't get a reply. Thinking of you and your surgery. How are you? Hoping it went well. I hope it is encouraging to tell you I am now almost at 12 weeks post op and feeling so good it's unbelievable. I hope to be released to ride at the end of the week. I will let you and all the equestrains know how it goes.
 I'm hoping you are healing comfortably and on your way to riding again! Please let me know.
  Luann                 PS. I live in the Oregon City area of Oregon.

Luann

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:05:32 PM »
Hi Jac, haven't heard from you in a while, hope you had your surgery and it went well. To answer your "high impact" question... NO PROBLEM! Roll backs are a piece of cake. Sliding stops feel awesome. You will be able to show your reiner if all goes well. Hope to have a positive post from you soon. Lu

Jac

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I thought I was about time I checked in.

I had my left hip BHR the morning of August 12th.  I feel very good now and have my 6 week checkup with Dr. Peter Lammens at Panorama Orthopedics in Golden, Colorado on Tuesday September 28th. 

By the way, Did I mention that the first week after surgery really sucked?  I hope I can say that.

I started Physical Therepy the second week after surgery and have been attending twice a week since.  I've been walking un-aided for the last two weeks even though I still am weak and fatigue after a good long walk.  I've had a slight limp but that is beginning to disappear.  I can also do a flight of stair easily one foot above or below the other (the normal way).  I just wish I could put a sock on my left foot!  This is also the end of my third week back in the office.  By the way, did I mention that the first week after surgery really sucked?

I really hope Dr. Lammens will let me back on my horse after the check-up.  I don't intend to ride hard, just want to walk my mare around the arena (I also look forward to getting in the pool).  I've had a young dressage rider riding her since surgery.  That Dressage stuff is really good stuff and I know its been good for my Reiner.  I have been able to take Blue to the round pen and I've just groomed the heck out of her.  The first day I had her in the round pen, Blue put her head down on my BHR hip and her nostrals flared.  I have no doubt she understood I was in a little difficulty at the time.  Horse are amazing animals.

Yes, the first week after surgery really O*^&(*&!!!!!!!!!

Luann

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
Hi Jac,
 So good to finally hear from you! I was thinking about you a lot. Yes, I remember the first week or so after surgery was not fun. I must say, though, I was actually surprised (considering it is such major surgery and what they actually have to do to your body to get the prothesis in you!) at how quickly I started feeling better after that first week.
 I would caution you, unless your Dr says it's not a problem (after my experience and reading this website, I would be really surprised if he said that!) to ride so soon as only 6 weeks post op. As you know, even a well broke horse, just walking around, can suddenly spook, jump, or do a 180 degree turn if something startles it. Not worth taking a chance and jolting your hip. I believe most people who get a HR have what is callled a "press fit " acetabular cup, meaning there is nothing really holding it there but the bone that is integrating into it. This takes time, and I've heard of people's cups getting jostled out of place- sometimes by just bad luck, but often by too much activity. Just wait if you must, after what you went through you don't want to ruin it. Wating three months for me was torture, but I want my HR to work and last, so I waited.
 Keep us posted on your recovery. I want to hear about your first ride back when it happens! You will love riding your reiner when your hip is healed! Can't wait to hear from you again. Luann

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal