+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: length of time from Diagnosis to Surgery  (Read 1974 times)

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
length of time from Diagnosis to Surgery
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:37:20 AM »
   I'm seeing a Surgeon tomorrow - 10/29/07 - to discuss my hip(s) and resurfacing surgery.  What is the typical time it takes from a doctor confirming you need surgery to when it can actually take place?  I realise that this can be subjective on many factors; doctors schedule, insurance issues (if any), planning etc, but I was hoping to get a ballpark estimate if someone could le me know their approximate waiting period.  Thanks.

Terry

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: length of time from Diagnosis to Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »
Hi Terry

It can be anywhere fromf 2 weeks to 6 months depending on the surgeon.

Be sure to ask many questions of your surgeon.  Here is a basic list you can print out
http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

Find out how many hip resurfacings they have done to date, how many loose cups, how many femur neck fractures, how many infections, how many revision of their hip resurfacings have occured.

If the doctor is not open and share this info - be looking for another doctor.  The experienced doctors will all share the info and many have it posted don their websites.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Pat in Ohio
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:51 AM »
  I've already printed the list and I'm taking it with me this morning.  If I don't like what I hear, I'll be out of there and look for a better candidate.  I have BCBS PPO, so I'll look to find a surgeon that will cover me.   I may see about Dr. Ball in San Diego, as that is relatively close to me if my doctor doesn't work out.

Terry

coskater

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
I was told before my first large arthroscopic hip surgery that hip resurfacing was in my future.  Little did I realize one year after the first surgery I would be told I needed the hip resurfacing that was a total of 8 weeks, August 1st my doctor in Colorado told me and sent in my x ray to Mr. Treacy, the 3rd week of August I heard from Mr. Treacy and he said it was "fairly urgent" that I get this done soon, so I had my surgery 10/2/07 in the UK. I thought this went very quickly, of course as I recover it is such slow going, I get very bored, love those walks.

Leslie
Treacy 10/2/07
R BHR

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat